RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 AM

Exclamation A warning about LifeP04 cells (before someone blows up their scanner)

I see rechargeable LifeP04 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) AA cells are starting to show up at some stores. DO NOT use these in your scanner!

These cells are 3.2V and will not work (for long) in consumer scanners designed for 1.2V AA cells.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2016, 6:16 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I see rechargeable LifeP04 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) AA cells are starting to show up at some stores. DO NOT use these in your scanner!

These cells are 3.2V and will not work (for long) in consumer scanners designed for 1.2V AA cells.
Thanks for posting this! You'd think the industry would manufacture these in a different size Other than AA since they're obviously a higher voltage than the standard AA ! What company or brand are these Lipo4 batteries ?? Its not just scanners that would fail but all sorts of electronics! Voyager, WHERE did you see these so we can keep an eye out? I hope Walmart don't start selling these ! 73, n9zas

Last edited by gewecke; 07-14-2016 at 6:20 AM.. Reason: Additional
Old 07-14-2016, 9:49 AM
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moot point since they wouldn't fit anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Recha..._1468507404378
Quote:
These are SHORTER then a AA battery NOTE: This is not a AA size battery and will not fit in place of AA rechargeable batteries, this is a 4/5AA.
Old 07-14-2016, 9:53 AM
Was: k2ool
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They are only 400 Milliamps.you want to buy batteries with way higher Milliamps to maximize your usage. Anything above 1.5Volts,will probably make the scanner do weird things.Amen,stay away from these!Thanks for the info.

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSOLAR-tra...=LiFePO4&psc=1

I know what I'm putting in my solar lights though.LOL!
Old 07-14-2016, 9:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
Why, would the manufacturer not label them something Other than AA ? Still the public should be made aware that they are not standard AA's. 73, n9zas

Last edited by gewecke; 07-14-2016 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Typos
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2016, 9:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Why, are they larger than standard AA's ? Still the public should be made aware that they are not standard AA's. 73, n9zas
When I was in school, I learned that four-fifths (4/5) was smaller than five-fifths (5/5)...

I know nothing about this "New Math"...
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
Common Core Baby....God Help Us..
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
When I was in school, I learned that four-fifths (4/5) was smaller than five-fifths (5/5)...

Well no ****, but at a glance someone still might buy them in error since they are still labeled AA ... Right? 73, n9zas
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Well no ****, but at a glance someone still might buy them in error since they are still labeled AA ... Right? 73, n9zas
Yeah, But if you have a 300-600$ radio..You better do more than glance..Buyer Beware..and dont buy
no-name cells from China...

I got a a Lith-Ion battery for my laptop...was supposed to be a 6 cell,18650 size config..It never held the propper capacity/mAh..
I opened it and 2 of the cells were these...exact size and weight...dummies..4 batts and 2 dummies..
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No, they're not labelled AA, so chill already.
Old 07-14-2016, 1:27 PM

LIFE batteriy technology is safer than LIPO (lithium polymer) batteries as lipos have a cell voltage of 3.7v,and if you discharge under 3.3 volts,they basically get hot and explode.you have to have a low voltage cutoff in order to save the aggravation. LIFE batteries are an improvement over regular NIHM batteries which only carry 1.2volts per cell.i have used all 3 types of these batteries in my RC boats and cars.why they would market the LIFE batteries as a AA is beyond me.someone wasnt thinking too clearly obviously.
Old 07-14-2016, 4:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Don't tell me to chill! The damn Amazon link SAID " AA" , so go read it ok. 73, n9zas
Old 07-14-2016, 4:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
LIFE batteriy technology is safer than LIPO (lithium polymer) batteries as lipos have a cell voltage of 3.7v,and if you discharge under 3.3 volts,they basically get hot and explode.you have to have a low voltage cutoff in order to save the aggravation. LIFE batteries are an improvement over regular NIHM batteries which only carry 1.2volts per cell.i have used all 3 types of these batteries in my RC boats and cars.why they would market the LIFE batteries as a AA is beyond me.someone wasnt thinking too clearly obviously.
Very true. I've built two 36 volt packs and one 48 volt pack with matching cells so far for some guys who ride home brew E bikes for fun. One Lipo4 pack they had, started smoking while they were on the trails. 73, n9zas
Old 07-14-2016, 6:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Don't tell me to chill! The damn Amazon link SAID " AA" , so go read it ok. 73, n9zas
Okay, two places state 4/5AA, but the last line is incorrect:
Quote:
LiFePO4 4/5AA Rechargeable Battery Replaces 14430 3.2V 400mAh
Length: 1.660, Diameter: 0.55
4/5AA
Rechargeable Batteries > AA Batteries
Old 07-14-2016, 9:10 PM

There is no Global Battery Czar who told them they couldn't do it. It's buyer beware, their defense will be "the buyer should have researched it better" or the generic chinese equivalent of that statement, and they'll make more in sales than they will lose in defending damage claims against them, including what few returns actually make it that far. They're preying on the uneducated, and laughing all the way to the bank. If Amazon had a battery category for each type of cell out there...you'd go blind trying to navigate it, and you'd ultimately never find what you were looking for (probably)

But, when joe hillbilly wants a battery for his ra-deee-ya to make it talk louder, he knows he can just go and find something that looks like it - then buy it. More mAh's MOAR POWARRR. Yeah, they shouldn't be sold as "AA" com, the buyer should compare far more than they actually do...but people still buy it. It's an overgeneralization on the sellers end, but you can't have everyone watching everyone all the time.

...who watches the Watchmen?
Old 07-14-2016, 9:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Yep, dumb consumers everywhere . Beware. 73, n9zas
Old 07-14-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigphish View Post
But, when joe hillbilly
Hey now! I resemble that comment.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
Oh Yea?
https://www.amazon.com/Card-Tenergy-...TDKERJEFR3FAP7
Old 07-15-2016, 7:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"AA" is a battery SIZE. It has nothing to do with voltage. Buyer beware in this case. Read the label!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Maybe you guts are talking about something different, but these certainly DO look like full size AA, and please tell me I'm seeing things and it doesn't really say simply AA on the package:

Westinghouse 4pc Rechargeable Battery Set - Walmart.com

While you're at it, you can tell me that it does state on the webpage:

"Four 600mAH AA lithium iron phosphate batteries"
and
"Clothing Size: AA" (nevermind the "clothing" part!)
and
"Size: AA"

Also tell me that looks physically shorter than a 5/5 AA size. I held a Eneloop cell up to the screen, and it covers the shown cell PERFECTLY.

I simply don't buy the line that these are not standard AA cells. I looked at the Amazon link, those cells are OBVIOUSLY different than the cells I posted the warning about. So, all you 4/5 guys look at the link I posted and tell me I'm wrong again.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, scanner, warning