RF Links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire2003

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to scanner land and was noticing on a lot of the RadioReference frequency listings for my area that the fire departments each have their VHF frequency, but then there is also a UHF frequency labeled as RF Link or Link. I am not able to receive many of the farther out VHF channels, but I'm thinking that the UHF RF Link is broadcast from my town, as that is where the dispatch center is. If I program the RF Link into my scanner should I be able to at least hear the dispatches when they come out? I tried searching online for an explanation of these links but the articles I found weren't specific to scanning, so I was hoping someone with a better knowledge than I might be able to explain what these links are to me a little better.

Admin: I hope I am not duplicating a thread, and if so, please feel free to move me to where I need to be! I searched around but couldn't find anything related to this topic. Thank you!

Fire2003

Perhaps you should be asking about the specific system in your state's forum. Someone there will likely know.

I understand, but I'm from Vermont and there are very few people in that forum. I assumed that this must be a common practice in rural areas and that the general forum might know.

ecps92

Probably better in the local forum as
a. They would no the propagation of that link
b. Is the link (Which they usually are) Directional, are you in that orientation
c. Is it still used ?? Some have gone to Land Line, others microwave, others...??

Whose system??

I understand, but I'm from Vermont and there are very few people in that forum. I assumed that this must be a common practice in rural areas and that the general forum might know.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not that I would want to chase you away, but this Vermont scanning forum seems to be a whole lot busier than ours...perhaps you might find more information (or someone who knows the answer to your question) here...

Vermont

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.