When the PD enc channel.... isn't enc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Lately on my local police department's radio channels, which are normally 100% encrypted on all talk groups, a few radios seem to have not been properly programmed to be encrypted. Thus, at least one side of some conversations can be heard. It's interesting to listen to even part of police officers' conversations when they think that only they are privy to the conversation. Far from being used exclusively for "official, professional business", in fact the tactical channel often is simply a chit-chat channel. Occasionally it can get raunchy, too, like this morning when a couple of officers were obviously discussing some local hookers. I can't repeat here what they said because this website is rated PG and the officers' conversation this morning was rated X.

It is interesting what our public servants are saying when they think that nobody is listening. Mic check!

kma371

QRT
Lately on my local police department's radio channels, which are normally 100% encrypted on all talk groups, a few radios seem to have not been properly programmed to be encrypted. Thus, at least one side of some conversations can be heard. It's interesting to listen to even part of police officers' conversations when they think that only they are privy to the conversation. Far from being used exclusively for "official, professional business", in fact the tactical channel often is simply a chit-chat channel. Occasionally it can get raunchy, too, like this morning when a couple of officers were obviously discussing some local hookers. I can't repeat here what they said because this website is rated PG and the officers' conversation this morning was rated X.

It is interesting what our public servants are saying when they think that nobody is listening. Mic check!

The are probably programmed correctly, its likely the encryption is selectable. They may have inadvertently toggled the switch off without knowing

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Many agencies like mine, have selectable part time encryption or meaning the encryption is not strapped full time. IF you can stand to listen to, say 95-98% encryption then enjoy. The user probably didn't notice the single beep, instead of the double beep enc prompt. Sometimes two or more transmit in the clear, that's when its worth listening. :wink: 73, n9zas

wbswetnam

Many agencies like mine, have selectable part time encryption or meaning the encryption is not strapped full time. IF you can stand to listen to, say 95-98% encryption then enjoy. The user probably didn't notice the single beep, instead of the double beep enc prompt. Sometimes two or more transmit in the clear, that's when its worth listening. :wink: 73, n9zas

Since the Uniden 536 skips over encrypted comms automatically, I leave normally encrypted talk groups on by default, "just in case", because sometimes it pays off!

RayAir

If encryption isn't strapped you can almost always count on some users messing it up (their opsec).

Happy Monitoring.

ampulman

Since the Uniden 536 skips over encrypted comms automatically, I leave normally encrypted talk groups on by default, "just in case", because sometimes it pays off!

My 396T plays less than a second of encrypted traffic, then mutes. Lately, all I hear is an occasional click (no encryption), or a rare one-sided radio check.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.