Could use some input in picking out 3rd or 4th scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roodog2k

So, I have two scanners, a PSR-800 and a Pro-2006, happy with both, but I have a hankering at expanding my receiving arsenal.

I just started another thread about getting a dedicated air band scanner under that topic, I have different questions for here.

In a perfect world, this is what I'm looking for, in order of preference:

Automatically store frequencies when searching, but not like Close Call (tm).
*Doesn't* need to be digital or trunking (I live near some industrial facilities, interested in listening in)
USB Connection

Am I looking for a unicorn?

marksmith

You are looking mainly for a scanner that isn't made anymore.

They are all now full featured radios with trunking and other features, or under featured racing type scanners that don't have the best search functions.

One you might look into is the 125AT from Uniden. It has good search functions, no trunking, and will run a little over $100.

It is a few steps above a racing scanner because of the bands and search options, allows entry of text descriptions and is more of a banks and channels radio than DMA memory.

I have one I use for industry, milair, and other conventional scanning.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Roodog2k

One you might look into is the 125AT from Uniden. It has good search functions, no trunking, and will run a little over $100.

If I recall, Uniden used to make scanners that would store frequencies from a search. I think it was the 895 would store frequencies and also could trigger a tape recorder... this was back in the 1990s.

I'm really not looking for the Close Call, I don't think that would work for me for searching out and saving frequencies when I'm at work.

I've thought about that particular model for dedicated air band (civilian) monitoring. Was also looking at an R-6.

marksmith

Like I said... the scanner you are looking for is a generation or so out of production. The focus has switched away from fancy conventional searches and toward trunking systems.

I would have to look, but I think the 396/996 XT radios may still have the search and store mode in them. I know the 996xt still has the output jack and software function to activate a tape recorder.

Roodog2k

Like I said... the scanner you are looking for is a generation or so out of production. The focus has switched away from fancy conventional searches and toward trunking systems.

I would have to look, but I think the 396/996 XT radios may still have the search and store mode in them. I know the 996xt still has the output jack and software function to activate a tape recorder.

Not really looking to record, I got the PSR800 for that. I'm more interested in logging just active frequencies while I'm away. The PSR800 has that signal stalker which sort of sucks since it won't save frequencies automatically.

I think I may have been misinformed about the performance of Close Call. I had heard that it'll only really work if you have a transmitter within a few hundred yards of the scanner. Basically, I was told that if the signal wasn't near field, it isn't going to register. Based on a YouTube video I watched on that 125, it may actually work pretty good.

The 897 I had access to could auto save frequencies, and if Close Call performs like the 897, then that's what I want.

Appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

marksmith

Close call depends on the signal strength vs the ambient noise level. As long as the signal to noise ratio is high enough, it will register.

I don't find it to be a good choice for searching for activity within a band, because it will skip lots of activity.

It is very good for near field searches however. I tend to use it by leaving a portable in the car for several hours to catch items of interest very close to where the car is parked.

marksmith

A much better option for searching the active frequencies within a range, or several ranges is the Uniden function "Search & store".

You set the search parameters, set which conventional system you want to add the found frequencies to, and set the maximum number to store.

You set the radio to search and store. It searches. If it finds one it does not already have, it stores it and continues the search. Continues until number of stored hits max.

This function is in the recently discontinued 396xt and 996xt, which are basically the same radio, one being portable (396) and the other a mobile/base (996).

These are both exceptionally good radios, much better than the 125AT. You can still find them for sale. In general they have not gone down in price since being discontinued.

They are also digital trunking radios capable of all normal systems other than p25 phase 2.

pb_lonny

I use a UBC126AT connected to a laptop (running Scan125) for unattended logging. I would also love a non trunking / digital scanner that had an auto store mode.

Roodog2k

Closing the loop on this...

I bought a 125. Very close to what I was looking for. At first, I was a little disappointed how the Close Call operated. Was hoping it would pick up more. Then, I discovered how well it really does work.

It seems able to "discover" a 2m signal, 440, and a FMRS signals within about 4-5 seconds (near field) while "scanning" the entire CC range.

Now, I have high hopes, given the industrial center, plus two antenna towers within eyeball range of my home QTH.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.