RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 1:54 AM

Default Help with frequency issue

Hello everyone. A small business that I work for recently had one of their mobile radios go down (how we communicate between cars/base). Well for the mean time I grabbed my uniden with close call and gathered the frequency from that. I can hear my base station/other vehicles on my radio, however I can not get out over the radio. I figured this to be a PL Tone issue, so I programmed every PL tone into my radio. The next day I tried, with no luck getting out on any tones. I also tried all DTCS tones as well and none of them worked. Any other reason I wouldn't be able to transmit?
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2017, 4:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Could be DPL, best to get the local radio shop to read the radio and get the known configuration vs close-call which can provide false data from time-time

The other option could be you are over-whelming the radio by transmitting to close to it, aka desensitizing the radio prohibiting it from hearing the transmission. Also another reason to see a local radio shop [Professional]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bw1332 View Post
Hello everyone. A small business that I work for recently had one of their mobile radios go down (how we communicate between cars/base). Well for the mean time I grabbed my uniden with close call and gathered the frequency from that. I can hear my base station/other vehicles on my radio, however I can not get out over the radio. I figured this to be a PL Tone issue, so I programmed every PL tone into my radio. The next day I tried, with no luck getting out on any tones. I also tried all DTCS tones as well and none of them worked. Any other reason I wouldn't be able to transmit?
Old 04-19-2017, 5:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well quick call should be able to tell you the basic info like pl/dpl codes. If it's a repeater it may have a MDC tone set up for it. We need more information to help you. What band you are using, what modulation and what radios are you trying to transmit on would be a start.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Old 04-19-2017, 8:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There are so many different ways of excluding someone if they aren't part of your system.

Some guesses:
* An uncommon CTCSS tone that's not part of the ones that usually come with radios
* Inverted CDCSS
* Single channel LTR "trunking" (it's not really trunking, but the incorrect LTR data word won't get in)
* Some other proprietary signaling format (they're out there, and they can be pretty creative).

You'll need a receiver to demodulate the signal and an oscilloscope (or a service monitor) to look at it and see what's going on.

They could also be using CDCSS, but your radio's "compensation" may not be adjusted properly and isn't decoding.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM

So here's a little more information. I know that it isn't a repeater. It's just car to car. I also know that it is the UHF range and there is no trunking. They Re old Kenwood TK830 or 890 I can't remember. I tried DPL which didn't work either.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On the radio in question, is there a monitor button that opens the squelch temporarily. This way you could at least check the frequency. Also, since they are company equipment, is there a license in the filing cabinet that may have some radio bills in the folder that may have radio notes from your supplier. These may have programming notes.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
So here's a little more information. I know that it isn't a repeater. It's just car to car. I also know that it is the UHF range and there is no trunking.
If you can Close Call it, you should know the exact frequency. And why doesn't your scanner do tone searching?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:50 PM

I do not believe that my scanner can search PL tones, only close call. It's a Uniden
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
It's a Uniden
Complete the sentence...
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Complete the sentence...
It's a Uniden BC72XLT
Old 04-24-2017, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It's a Uniden BC72XLT
If it's got close call it's got pl/dpl decoding capabilities. Go into the menu and make sure the tone search is turned on under search/close call settings. You could also just set up a search for your frequencies range and decode it like that.

Old 04-24-2017, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It's a Uniden BC72XLT
Take a look at the user manual you can download it at www.uniden.com . I was just flipping through it and I see no mention of PL/DPL tones you may be right it may not decode them. In which case you can either borrow a different scanner from a friend or find a way to read the radios programming. Check out the manual it may help

Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default bc75xlt

it has close call but NOT pl/ctcss.