Battery for desktop scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I am considering getting a desktop scanner for continuous use. I have a handheld (Uniden BCD396xt), but I am considering getting a BCD996P2. From what I understand desktop scanners in general have to be plugged into a wall outlet.

My question is if one can just buy a 12 V (13.9V) battery as backup for when the power goes out. If that is the case, what battery should one get? I see, for example, this cheap 12 V battery on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-...492698091&sr=8-21&keywords=deep+cycle+battery

Would it make sense to get this and just have it sitting as a backup? Any other suggestions for batteries?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that you have to get a float charger for that battery to make sure it's there when you need it. Since the battery is designed for a UPS, maybe you would be better off with a small UPS unit-the battery charger is built it, and you don't have to switch power sources if there's an outage.

wtp

yes to an idea.

why not use the handheld with batteries in it.
you set the 396xt to not charge and have it plugged in.
if the power goes it just switches to battery automatically.
the batteries will loose charge after some time.
instead of the 996 just get the 325p2 handheld and do the same.
for my old base units i have them plugged into a full sized UPS.
why go small when you can go big and have spike protection.

TDR-94

Keep in mind that those UPS devices need to be replaced after a few moderate spikes "hits".The MOV's are finite.Every surge/spike reduces the life of the MOV.They sacrifice themselves in an attempt to protect the devices connected to the UPS.The MOV's go bad after periods of smaller surges or even just a few big spikes and can go bad after just a single major spike like an indirect lightning related surge.

Last edited:

Terry1810

Premium Subscriber
I've used Gel Cell batteries for years just for when the power goes out. Living in the Midwest, it happens often. I have 2 - 12 vdc at 12 Ah each. They last forever it seems when powering a couple of scanners. One ran two scanners for 96+ hours after an ice storm took out the entire town. Thank goodness for a fireplace!. I recharge them with an ordinary inexpensive AC powered 12 volt power supply showing no ill effects to the batteries over the years (15+)

ScannerSK

I am considering getting a desktop scanner for continuous use. I have a handheld (Uniden BCD396xt), but I am considering getting a BCD996P2. From what I understand desktop scanners in general have to be plugged into a wall outlet.

My question is if one can just buy a 12 V (13.9V) battery as backup for when the power goes out. If that is the case, what battery should one get? I see, for example, this cheap 12 V battery on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-...492698091&sr=8-21&keywords=deep+cycle+battery

Would it make sense to get this and just have it sitting as a backup? Any other suggestions for batteries?

Yes, I use either a 2.9Ah or 7Ah battery as a backup battery. If you experience long power outages the 7Ah battery would be useful otherwise just a 2.9Ah battery should suffice.

I simply add alligator clips into the power cord and also a diode and a trickle resistor on the battery. When hooked up as shown in the picture it is in trickle mode. If the power were to be off long enough to run down the battery then I simply connect the black alligator clip directly to the negative of the battery for an hour or so to recharge the battery.

I use this setup on my weather radios and scanners and have never had an issue.

One caution would be if you are charging the battery do not to forget after an hour or so to put it back to trickle mode. Another caution may be that if the battery were to run down while in trickle mode and then the power resumes it may burn out the trickle resistor. Possibly a series fuse could be added however I have never had any issues with this set up at all.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC06565.jpg
    DSC06565.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 348

baybum

I use one of these. You can keep it plugged in to A/C to charge it and keep it ready. And you can power any 12V scanner via the "cigarette lighter" port, and it has a USB power port as well. Well worth the $45 bucks for this purpose.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.[*Campaign*]%26adgroup%3D[*Adgroup*]%26LID%3D[*EngineAccountID*]pgs%26network%3Dg%26device%3Dc%26location%3D9007743&gclid=CMee3Pbjs9MCFVA6gQodOggIMA

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

5-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Start

I caught this one on sale for $50 last year. It's also got a small built-in inverter so I can catch the news on TV. One downside, to energize the USB plug, the inverter has to be on...so I just use a lighter plug USB charger in one of the plugs. So far it's run for upwards of 40 hours with a couple of scanners, periodic phone charging, maybe an hour total of TV viewing, and charged the laptop once, all without quitting.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all the replies. I hadn't come across the concept of a UPS before. More to learn.

AI6VX

I've bought these used from Ebay to power my 12V stuff (VOIP, routers, network switches). I'm sure you would use it to power your scanner. Probably even has the right connector on it.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Belkin-RG-Battery-Backup-Revision-B-12v-DC-UPS-Bu3dc001-12v/1600149188
Don't know if it was obvious or not, but this UPS is a 12v output UPS, not an 110AC one. So it lasts a LONG time as there is no conversion from DC to AC and back again.

Essentially it is a 12V 7AH battery inside with charger circuit, switchover circuit and regulator all in one.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if it was obvious or not, but this UPS is a 12v output UPS, not an 110AC one. So it lasts a LONG time as there is no conversion from DC to AC and back again.

Essentially it is a 12V 7AH battery inside with charger circuit, switchover circuit and regulator all in one.

When I follow the link I get a page with several listings. Do you have a direct link?

Status
Not open for further replies.