Scanner/radio recommendation (P25 phase 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

codycat91

The dept I work for uses a P25 Phase 2 system. I'm looking for something to pick up this freq (and only this freq) at home. I've been reading up a ton about the uniden home patrol scanners and a bunch of related scanners and it's making my head spin. I dont need a million channels to monitor or a million of features. Just something simple to monitor my one work frequency. I'm looking for advice on either a scanner or even a radio that can be programmed (Motorola xts or the like) and am open to anything. Thanks for your time

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

radio3353

The number of channels you want to monitor is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not this Phase 2 system is a simulcast system. If it is, you will likely be disappointed with any consumer scanner. You may need a Unication G4 or G5.

If applicable, research simulcast or LSM on this forum and learn about the difficulty with these systems and consumer scanners.

codycat91

Not really sure how to find that out. On RR it says it's 155.595 Licence: KEB398 Tone: 403 NAC Mode: P25

radio3353

Not really sure how to find that out. On RR it says it's 155.595 Licence: KEB398 Tone: 403 NAC Mode: P25

Couple of ideas:
1. Since you work for the agency, find somebody familiar with the system and ask.
2. Reach out on the forum for your state. Somebody might be familiar with your system (you will likely need to provide more detail than your original post. You don't give us much to go on.)
3. Do you know anybody with a scanner?

troymail

Silent Key
The license info you pointed to is conventional (non trunking/non-P25 Phase 2).

However, based on that license location, the system you may be interested in looks like it is this one.

As was previously mentioned, you proably want to get someone in your area (New York forums?) that is already monitoring to give you their thoughts.

As far as LSM/simulcast distortion (if applicable), read through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.