RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
Great music in that movie. Tangerine Dream.
Yep, great music for a great movie.
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2017, 7:37 AM

Movie "Roller Coaster" where the bad guy and good guys were using a GE MPX or MPI with no battery and talking into the back of the radio. Maybe it was an advertisement for GE. Capt Stanley from Emergency! loved to talk into the back of the microphone of the GE Mastr II mobile;

Quote"In the 1976 movie "Mother, Jugs and Speed", private ambulance companies would monitor the fire department and each other's radio dispatchers to beat the competition to a scene.

Not too far from the truth back in the 70's in NYC. You had the Voluntary Hospitals operating on the 911 radio system and I can attest to body stealing between them and the HHC units. No bodies no pay, the ambulances actually had to ensure patients at the Hospital to help pay for them.
Old 05-01-2017, 8:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There was that scene in Die Hard when the jerk TV reporter hears about all the commotion at the Nakatomi Tower over the scanner and practically steaks a TV van to get there.
Old 05-01-2017, 8:29 AM

The movie "SPEED"(1994). The late Dennis Hopper had a Uniden model scanner in one of the elevator scenes and I think he might have had a desk top scanner of some type in one of the scenes in his house.

Also in the Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible"(1996) I think there was a Uniden 235 or 245XLT in one of the scenes.I remember that it had a blue backlight for the LCD screen,which I thought was odd since the backlight is actually supposed to be green.

Jake Gyllenhaal in "NightCrawler"(2014) had a few scanners.The ones I remember were GRE/Whistler mobile models.There was also a very old analog crystal model.I don't remember which type of scanner it was.

Last edited by TDR-94; 05-01-2017 at 8:44 AM..
Old 05-01-2017, 8:36 AM

While there was no real scanner involved, the 1970 movie AIRPORT involved quite a few radio transmissions. Burt Lancaster's character had a tunable radio for both AM aircraft and FM. He was communicating to the snow desk most of time and he had a mobile phone. He was monitoring the plane that was in trouble with Dean Martin's character yelling at the tower in "non regulation" form.
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2017, 9:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lets be cops.. radius and a bct15

https://youtu.be/kQ5nsy9-qcQ?t=1m

Drive - 396xt

https://youtu.be/o1D-D1i50cM?t=1m1s

Seinfeld.. - Kramer has a PRO scanner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuCiB-2Wreg

I can think of more.. but I got stuff to do lol

Last edited by VE3RADIO; 05-01-2017 at 9:33 AM..
Old 05-01-2017, 10:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, they use a police radio to monitor and later in the film, talk to the police
Old 05-01-2017, 3:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In the early 80s show Dukes of Hazzard (I watched it just to see Catherine Bach!) the Duke boys listened to ol' Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrain and his dippy deputies on a common CB radio. Why they used common CB radios for emergency dispatching, I have no idea.
Old 05-01-2017, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbswetnam View Post
In the early 80s show Dukes of Hazzard (I watched it just to see Catherine Bach!) the Duke boys listened to ol' Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrain and his dippy deputies on a common CB radio. Why they used common CB radios for emergency dispatching, I have no idea.
"Po' folks ways..." Their entire budget was likely used up replacing all the cars they trashed failing to catch Bo and Luke. No money for Ma M gear, and Boss Hogg probably stole the CB's for them.

+1 on Daisy Duke and her hot pants and hose!
Old 05-02-2017, 3:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In an episode of Law and Order: SVU, a citizens watch group, that was closer to a vigilante group, used scanners to show up at scenes. (In a state where mobile and portable use of scanners is illegal. I wondered why Christopher Meloni's character didn't arrest them, or at least cite them, on the spot.)

Edit: Season 2, Episode 13, "Victims".

John
Peoria, AZ

Last edited by KB7MIB; 05-02-2017 at 3:59 AM..
Old 05-02-2017, 8:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Postman (1997) holds a special place in my heart. At the time my father, WB7AUK, owned the local ham "candy" store in Spokane "Amateur Radio Team of Spokane" also known as "Arts". Some of the filming for the movie took place in the area. They stopped by to see what he had. They went into the back and bought a bunch of the old equipment, and other odds and ends. Much of it was used in the movie. So every time I watch the movie I see equipment and know where it was and where it came from.
Old 05-02-2017, 2:45 PM

A real stupid movie "Me Myself and Irene" (2000) One of Jim Carey's sons is in a helicopter using a State Patrol Motorola saber radio to monitor the state police.He also calls it a "police scanner". I never could understand that terminology.There are no scanners that just 'specifically' scan police.
Old 05-03-2017, 5:51 AM

The 1950's TV program HIGHWAY PATROL featured much radio activity. Chief Dan Mathews(Broderick Crawford) may very well been the first to put the tag "10-4" into the mainstream.
Great program!!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 PM

In the 2008 movie "The Bank Job" these guys leased a small store that was near a bank. They were tunneling from the store's basement to the bank vault. They used some two way radios to communicate with the lookout who was watching for police. Nearby there was a ham radio operator who came upon their transmissions while searching frequencies. The ham contacted police to tell them what he was hearing. Of course that reminds us all of conversations we have overheard where people thought their radio conversations were private.
Old 05-04-2017, 3:29 PM

Just remembered these two:

The Bourne Identity (2002), probably all of the sequels as well.

Enemy of the State (1998) Really dove into the subject matter concerning the possible Privacy issue and NSA before the 'general' public was ever really aware of or even concerned about the issue today.

Last edited by TDR-94; 05-04-2017 at 3:35 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2017, 4:06 PM
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Vanishing Point movie 1971. Kowalski trying to deliver a Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Francisco. I know for sure the radio station they listened to, the DJ was monitoring the police... amazingly all the way along the route and announcing where the cops-roadblocks were.
Vanishing Point (1971) - IMDb

Related movie forum post - https://forums.radioreference.com/mo...os-movies.html
Old 05-04-2017, 4:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
Vanishing Point movie 1971. Kowalski trying to deliver a Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Francisco. I know for sure the radio station they listened to, the DJ was monitoring the police... amazingly all the way along the route and announcing where the cops-roadblocks were.
Vanishing Point (1971) - IMDb
Did they have Broadcastify back then?
Old 05-04-2017, 4:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-B View Post
In the 2008 movie "The Bank Job" these guys leased a small store that was near a bank. They were tunneling from the store's basement to the bank vault. They used some two way radios to communicate with the lookout who was watching for police. Nearby there was a ham radio operator who came upon their transmissions while searching frequencies. The ham contacted police to tell them what he was hearing. Of course that reminds us all of conversations we have overheard where people thought their radio conversations were private.
That was actually based on a true story. The ham who intercepted the transmissions invited the police to listen from his radio, but I think they were unable to determine the location of the burglary. It is interesting that in the UK it is illegal to monitor stuff in general like we do in the US so the ham was sticking his neck out a bit.
Old 05-04-2017, 4:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In The Living Daylights, 1987, Bond's Astin Martin Volante is equipped with a all band police radio
Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Midnight Run with Robert De Niro (1988).
He uses a scanner to listen to a wireless phone and writes down the dialled DTMF number to track down his subject.

Tags
movies. monitoring