How can you find historical frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
The name says it on the tin. ;) I tend to lurk for hte most part but I have been meaning to ask this. How can one find out historical or past frequencies? If I was writing a story, book or just plain curiousity, if I wanted to know what frequencies Greater Pittsburgh Airport used in 1978 or what frequencies Pittsburgh police (or anyone) used in 1965, where can one find that info if it can be done?

DE KA3WRW

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Find old police call books. Harder the further back you go.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

marksmith

That's about it. There are no online historical resources I know of, and certainly not in 1978.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I wish there was an easier way than that but as time goes on, you're right. Probably the "best" way to go about it other than old Police Call books is to check old electronics magazines too. If anyone else wants to weigh in, I await your replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Do you plan on time traveling with your scanner? :) How about searching the FCC database for expired licences based on call-sign or licensee name? I don't know how far back that database goes, or even if this would give you any results, but it may be worth a try. Other than that, the old Police Call books would be your best bet. You'd have to find the right regional issue for the year of interest.

nd5y

The FCC ULS database appears to have all PLMR licenses that were valid or expired since 1999. That's about the year they built the ULS and converted most of the paper licenses to the ULS.

Some of the Broadcast Auxiliary licenses go back to 1969 but were added to the ULS for some reason.
Here is the earliest expiration date I could find ULS License - Broadcast Auxiliary Remote Pickup License - KL5764 - SELF JOHN

I documented most of the old stuff in my county in the wiki. That might be something people could do if they still have information from the past.
Wichita County (TX) Old Frequencies - The RadioReference Wiki

There are a couple other wiki articles with old historical frequencies.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sources I have used:

25 to 470 MHz: The 'Top Secret' Registry of U.S. Government Radio Frequencies By Tom Kneitel K2AES 5th edition 1983. This was first published in 1978.

4 to 28 MHz : Ferrel's Confidential Frequency List 7th edition 1988.By Geoff Halligey and Published by Gilfer Shortwave.

Also Radio Shack published a scanner frequency guide every year back then. Search for these documents on line and you should be able to find copies for the period of interest. Technology moved slowly back then so if you can't get exactly the year you want, you will be close.

wtp

try the library

the old kind.
brick and mortar style.
one near me had someone donate some old stuff and not just for my state.
maybe even try a used book store.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
Do you plan on time traveling with your scanner? :) How about searching the FCC database for expired licences based on call-sign or licensee name? I don't know how far back that database goes, or even if this would give you any results, but it may be worth a try. Other than that, the old Police Call books would be your best bet. You'd have to find the right regional issue for the year of interest.

Time travel with my scanner, it would be kind of cool. ;) I just like to know just for historical reasons and if I decided to write a story or set up a role playing game in the past. :) I like to be authentic as possible but if I fall short, I'll have to wing it. Even so, I just like to know, I know Pittsburgh has been using UHF frequencies since the early 1970's at least when Grandma had her Bearcat IV scanner. IIRC, I think Pittsburgh POlice has been using the callsign KGB327 since 1950.

Last edited:

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
A quick side note, I did find out that Pittsburgh Police used 39.90 Mc until 1969 or so along with frequencies in the 158 Mc area. They went UHF in the 453 Mc area that year and that is still the current system today. I did some research using Google News and the current UHF system was designed in 1968.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Back in those days, Regency made receivers, not scanners, that were popular for tuning the 30 TO 50 and 150 to 170 MHZ bands. There were two models, and they used tubes. I had one as my first police band receiver. I heard some surprising stuff.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
Back in those days, Regency made receivers, not scanners, that were popular for tuning the 30 TO 50 and 150 to 170 MHZ bands. There were two models, and they used tubes. I had one as my first police band receiver. I heard some surprising stuff.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I've seen them, I have a two band Lafayette model that gets both VHF bands although it is solid state. It was made in 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.