Spy gear/nerf "walkie talkies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive seen these toy walkies at Target and other stores and wondered what band they were in, they look much better built than the cheapie 49Mhz toy walkies and I cant open them in store to see what frequencies theyre on, anyone got any clues on what band they are in? I have a strong feeling most toy walkies that only have a PTT and a "Morse" key are 49Mhz splatterboxes.

nd5y

If you have a manufacturer and model number or FCC ID you can look it up and find out what frequencies they use. Some are FRS now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
49MHz would be a good guess. Unlikely they would be CB channel 14, but that was sort of standard back in the 70's and 80's.

I doubt they are 900MHz or FRS.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When my son was "working" for the CIA back in elementary school, I bought him some communications equipment. I think they operated on 49 mHz.

n1das

49 mHz (0.049 Hz)? :)

49 MHz brings back some memories from the 70s and 80s. I haven't seen any 49 MHz stuff in a long time, except occasionally in a pile of junk at ham flea markets.

They could be FRS and entry level at that (bare bones FRS w/no CTCSS capability, etc.).

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Examine the box because a lot of time the frequency/band will be in print on the box.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Way back when, the kid's walkie talkies were usually on CB channel 14 (27.125) Mhz. After that it was 49.860 for quite a while. Not sure lately as I seem to have grown up-my guess is most kids are on FRS now.

PACNWDude

I found some Spy Gear Eye Link Communicator units at a thrift store. These are glorified text message radios. Looking up the FCC ID online showed that they worked on 433-434 MHz.

If you get the FCC ID of those walkie talkies, it is only a web search to get the frequency they operate on.

I was expecting 49 MHz, but was amazed to find them at 433-434 instead.

Text message radios? Care to share what that means? Do they use a digital mode or are they analog? I'm confused .. Does it send the text over radio or is it seperate voice/data?

PACNWDude

The Spy Gear Eye Link Communicators are text only. They have a small QWERTY keypad and a LCD display that goes over your right eye. They are 433-434 MHz and transmit when you press the "Send" button on the keypad, there is no voice.

I had thought they must be 49 MHz, but looked up their FCC ID and found they operated on 433-434 MHz instead. They are just a text messaging toy.

Some of the Spy Gear toys are great little radio devices though.

radar518

spy gear , toy walkiie talkies

the nerf radios are on 49.860 Mhz BUT they are in AM mode the spy gear radios at least the one I have for my son are 402 Mhz

I have several old school radio fm radios I saved almost all of the radios in the 80s where on 49,830 49.845 49.860 49.875 and 49.890Mhz, its true most of the one toy radios were also ch 14 am "cb" . now a days they are on the frs ch's 1,3 or 6 no pl tone of course. however I have found a few in the 900Mhz, these radio "act" like a cell phone with voice mail and pre set tones and a 7 digit number these radio were not very popular and the range was not so great but neat all the less. what I liked about them was they "hopped" freqs in the band so picking it up on a scanner was very hard to do I think it was by v-tek? no 100% sure on the brand. the 49Mhz radio band is coming back slowly I have seen mostly because not to many other people use them any more so it less likely some one would listen in. hope that info helps out!

radar518

well I don't use them, but those radios are the "spy gear" radios, HOWEVER I noticed the same radio but with a different built date used different freqs not sure why but then again they are just toys

Status
Not open for further replies.