OK, Here We Go Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruuno

Had many scanners, previous posts describe.
Posted.
Sold everything
Took a break.
Had the itch.
Bought a new Uniden BCD996P2
Upgraded with the Pro Voice and DMR
Bought Arc-XT Pro
Plugged in a few local items.
Dead quiet, minimal action.
Should I search out a local tutor to pay to teach me to "get it", or should I pack it in, sell it all at a loss and admit I am ignorant, stupid, don't get it or commit suicide?
Is the landscape changing that much or do I need to take a course like an IT Administrator to "get it", because this is pathetic.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I bought a BCD536HP, so programming may differ. I found that once I loaded the updated firmware, the updated database, I could not hear what I wanted until I activated the service codes. Then it was like a fire hose. I had to create a favorites list and trim down the talk groups or frequencies I needed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

guruuno

"activated the service codes"?
I sold my 536, same issues.
Posting my scanner on eBay with ProVoice and DMR upgrades with ARC-XT PRO software.
I'm done.

wtp

if you have been away

could they be doing their best at "silent dispatching"
that is where only the VERY important stuff goes over the air.
stuff that even typing it would take too long.
loud dog=computer dispatch
disturbance with gun=radio

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I bought both the 536HP, the TRX-1, and the WS-1065 all at the same time and I have issues everyday. I am in my 60s, not used to having to be a computer programmer to get a scanner going, but I am coping. I have good days and I have bad days, but I learn a little bit more and make a little progress each week. Don't give up so easily. Walk away for a week and start over. Works for me.

paulmohr

Some of the police channels in your area are encrypted, so you will never be able to get those. It also looks like your area is in a transitional phase where they are moving to a phase II system or they are moving channels around. I see there are quite a few updates to the database in the last 24 hours.

Also Freescan is a free programming software that would work with the 996p2. I use it for my 325p2 and it is pretty simple to use with the RR database. However if the database isn't up to date it will be scanning the wrong channels.

Also depending on where exactly you live you could be having reception issues.

JPSan

He gave up. His radio is for sale.

I guess he just gave up. It was too hard for him to understand again.

Reason I'm saying this. Look in the classifieds here and see his listing to sell his radio,

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
What was the point of this thread?

This hobby is more difficult than some I guess, but perhaps next time you could ask for help instead of "packing it in." But then again, life is too short to get frustrated by a hobby.

Technoguy58

I've noticed several times on various forums that folks are advising to turn on service groups or something like that on the 996 series of scanner. The 996T, 996XT, and 996P2 do not work the same way as the 436hp and 536 hp. They do not have service type groups to turn on and off. That is the best feature on the 996 series of scanners to me. Much easier to program and easier to operate in my opinion.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
He had a 536 not long ago, so evidently he sold that and bought a different scanner with the same result.

guruuno

Yes. Like I said, I took a break, then read again (here), chose the 996 over the TRX, but yup, too much for me, I'm challenged with this stuff.

DJ11DLN

It's challenging. I took a 20-odd year break for reasons I won't bore anybody here with and everything changed. Whole different ball game. I figured it out, thanks to this place...without RR I'd have very likely tossed the Pro-18 in the trash...or used it as a target. I suspect you can too with a little patience...but that's up to you. When a hobby becomes so frustrating it elevates your blood pressure, maybe it's time to take a few steps back. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.