Best user friendly scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Modern scanners are complex. The more preferable often have the steepest learning curve.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Modern scanners are complex.

...but not necessarily difficult to operate. As mentioned earlier, the HP2 might be a good choice. It will scan about band one wants to listen to and it's easy to operate and. has an easy-to-read screen. It's not the best scanner, and it's certainly not the worst, but for ease of operation, it ranks very high.

lou9155

its all relative to the users ability. every scanner has a learning curve . scanners mostly use a pc to program them. you will still need patience and an open mind to learning with any of them.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
its all relative to the users ability. every scanner has a learning curve . scanners mostly use a pc to program them. you will still need patience and an open mind to learning with any of them.

If my grandma wants to listen to the local police in Podunk County, she can input the ZIP code and there they are.

Many users of HP1 & 2 don't use a computer. Digital and Pro Voice, well, that's a different story but the fact of the matter is, most departments are not digital...yet Of course, that's subject to change.

A couple of years ago, I was traveling through Oklahoma and stopped at a small café for lunch. While I was there, the owner went to a shelf and turned on a scanner. It was an HP1. Making conversation, asked her what she was listening to. She said, "the sheriff's dee-partment. If Joe's working, I want to let him know that we have liver and onions today. It's his favorite." To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even on a computer.

But you're right, Lou, in many cases, a computer is all but necessary if you do even a modicum of serious listening.

Soundman

Yes a HP1 or 2 is the Best or the best hand held is the BCD436HP or a good base unit is a BCD536HP all you have to do is put in your zip code .Programing is so easy. You plug in your cord that come with your scanner into the computer and you can update you scanner with the state that have been added with new code numbers .

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I own both an HP1 and HP2 along with several Radio Shack, Unidens etc. If I had to pick which one to keep out of all of them it would be one of the HP's....and I've always had several scanners at a time since the crystal channneled days. The only complaint I have is you will probably want a amplified speaker for it, the one in the radio is just too high pitched for my taste. There is a small cube shaped Anker speaker on Amazon for $19 that sounds amazing on it. Also probably a telescoping antenna if you listen to much vhf traffic. Just my opinion

Diane77

Really! That is saying something. Now, I might lean towards the HP's. Not sure whether to go through E bay again, as the Whistler I bought last week(not working properly), has to be returned when I hear back from the seller.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have had many, many scanners for over 45 years and If I could only have 1 scanner it would be the HP-2. And don't blame eBay because you had an issue with one seller. I've bought over a dozen scanners off of eBay with no problems. They offer a money back guarantee.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can also get them from Amazon, which has better customer service than most eBay sellers.

Nasby

Also, check the database to see if there are radio systems in your area that actually use Phase 2 systems(s).

If they are only using Phase 1 then you can save a lot of money by simply going with the HP1 rather than the HP2.

If you only have Phase 1 in your area, do some checking in the forums for your area to see if there are plans to upgrade to Phase 2.

If not, then the HP 2 could be overkill.

Diane77

Actually, we have decide on a base model Would like to listen to fire, ambulance. & police. Something that has the colored light come on when scanning certain frequencies. I know the Whistler 1065 has the different color lights.

Ed6698

I don't know much about the location of original poster . I have read in the past encryption is used quite often with Public Safety in Canada. Not sure if this would effect the OP at all.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about the location of original poster . I have read in the past encryption is used quite often with Public Safety in Canada. Not sure if this would effect the OP at all.

Yes, the OP might want to give us what she is looking to monitor- or also ask the question in her local forums to make sure she is getting a scanner applicable to her area.

Status
Not open for further replies.