Is it safe for scanner to go threw the x ray machine at the airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM014800

So I will be traveling via aircraft in a few weeks and am wanting to take my BCD436HP with me to listen to in the city I will be visiting. Is there any possibility that when my scanner goes threw TSA and thex ray machine it could be damaged and not work anymore?

ecps92

Other than a slippery hand dropping it ? None
So I will be traveling via aircraft in a few weeks and am wanting to take my BCD436HP with me to listen to in the city I will be visiting. Is there any possibility that when my scanner goes threw TSA and thex ray machine it could be damaged and not work anymore?

ScannerSK

I have never had a problem with a "scanner" going through x-ray equipment.

However, I did have a problem with a volume knob getting burned out once by the x-ray equipment used at the airports in a professional cassette tape recorder. The volume input knob stopped working on one of the input channels after passing through the airports. It worked fine before the airports and not afterward. I took the unit apart and the substance used to lubricate one of the potentiometers was burned black to a crisp along with the circular metal strip which makes the potentiometer work! Due to having some home made electronic projects in the mix they spent a little extra time looking over everything which likely played a part in causing the damage.

So, the moral of the story is that yes x-ray equipment can damage electronic equipment however my experience with this is that it has only happened on one occasion.

Shawn

edweirdFL

Yes. The X-ray machine should not harm it.

You should always keep an eye on your belongings at the security checkpoint. Many TSA employees have been caught stealing.

radio3353

Yes. The X-ray machine should not harm it.

You should always keep an eye on your belongings at the security checkpoint. Many TSA employees have been caught stealing.

Really?? Many?? Can you provide a citation for your comment or is it just fake news? Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

RayAir

Really?? Many?? Can you provide a citation for your comment or is it just fake news? Thanks.

You're not very good with using a search engine?
It seems they struggle with a continuous theft problem according to many mainstream news sites. Not all of them are doing it of course, but enough are to cause problems.

To the OP, I never had an issue bringing electronics through airport security, checked or carry-on.
None were damaged by x-ray machines.

Ubbe

If something was bad to begin with, maybe a scratchy potentiometer, the bad contact could cause it to arc and burn from the x-rays. If it didn't had noticable problems it probably would have caused problems later on so I wouldn't say much about it.

/Ubbe

radio3353

A few seconds of googling finds these among others:

400 TSA employees fired for stealing from passengers from 2002 to 2011 - WCPO Cincinnati, OH

The Top 20 Airports for TSA Theft - ABC News

Hidden cameras show airport workers stealing from bags - CNN

Over 500 total employees have been fired for theft. Obviously that doesn't include individuals that managed to not get caught, or who received disciplinary actions short of dismissal.

OK, I Googled. It says 57,600 employees in TSA. As you say, ~500 total employees fired for theft. That is less than 1%. Is that 'many" to you? Just trying to keep it real.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
OK, I Googled. It says 57,600 employees in TSA. As you say, ~500 total employees fired for theft. That is less than 1%. Is that 'many" to you? Just trying to keep it real.

It should be zero!!!!!! There's no way to justify any thefts.

radio3353

It should be zero!!!!!! There's no way to justify any thefts.

Of course it should be zero. Just like there should be no car accidents, fires, broken bones, dropped eggs or other sadness in the world. :roll: What utopia do you live in?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Of course it should be zero. Just like there should be no car accidents, fires, broken bones, dropped eggs or other sadness in the world. :roll: What utopia do you live in?

Your examples are unplanned incidents/accidents. Theft is a deliberate act. Morals are not involved in an accident. I only made a B- in sociology in college but I but I believe morals, no, a lack of morals seems to be the problem, not fate.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Question asked and answered. No need to continue with the comments from the peanut gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.