Transmitting on FRS/GRMS channels 15-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

With my Midland LXT500VP3 22-Channel GMRS, I pick up clear conversations on Channels 15-22 which are listed as:

50W / 25kHz for GRMS

My radios have the ability to transmit on them, but when I do to inquire if anybody can pick me up, (even when people are using the channel - don't mean to be rude, just know that somebody is out there) nobody ever answers and people that are talking don't stop to complain that I am interfering with them.

I know my radio's transmitters work, because I've communicated with people on channel 1, but why can't anybody hear me on channels 15-22? Do I need some kind of permission to use a repeater to be heard on these channels, or is is just that my signal isn't powerful to reach anybody out there?

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
There are a few possible reasons that come to mind..
One your radio is probably factory set to 0.5W.since that is the legal limit for FRS and you are not in the reception range of the persons you can here who may be GMRS users operating at higher power.
Two you may be hearing GMRS repeaters and your radio is transmitting on the output frequency and not on the repeater input frequency.
Three the other users may be using sub-audible tone squelch and you are not and in this case they would not hear you.
Four some combination of the above.

dragon48

There are a few possible reasons that come to mind..
One your radio is probably factory set to 0.5W.since that is the legal limit for FRS and you are not in the reception range of the persons you can here who may be GMRS users operating at higher power.
Two you may be hearing GMRS repeaters and your radio is transmitting on the output frequency and not on the repeater input frequency.
Three the other users may be using sub-audible tone squelch and you are not and in this case they would not hear you.
Four some combination of the above.

My radios transmit (with the "high" setting") at 2W on channels 1-7 and 15-22. I believe new regulations permit this.

Thanks for all of the information.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
My radios transmit (with the "high" setting") at 2W on channels 1-7 and 15-22. I believe new regulations permit this.

Thanks for all of the information.
Correction. Your radios Transmit at just under 1 Watt when operating on channels 1-7/15-22 AND you have it set to High power AND you are operating with alkaline batteries. If you use the rechargeable batteries that these radios typically come with, the output power is closer to 0.7 Watts.
https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1635716

dragon48

Correction. Your radios Transmit at just under 1 Watt when operating on channels 1-7/15-22 AND you have it set to High power AND you are operating with alkaline batteries. If you use the rechargeable batteries that these radios typically come with, the output power is closer to 0.7 Watts.
https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1635716

Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure where I thought I got my information from. Now that I'm looking around, I find it irresponsible of the manufacture not to include the transmit power in the spec sheet or manual:

http://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LXT535VP3-Spec-Sheet.pdf

https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LXT500-535-Owners-Manual.pdf

They also need to update their manual as the current one states that a GRMS license is needed for some channels.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know my radio's transmitters work, because I've communicated with people on channel 1, but why can't anybody hear me on channels 15-22? Do I need some kind of permission to use a repeater to be heard on these channels, or is is just that my signal isn't powerful to reach anybody out there?

Channels 15-22 are the primary GMRS channels.
They function two ways:
Simplex channels (radio to radio)
Repeater outputs.

Since your radio doesn't support the repeater input frequencies, you won't be able to talk on the repeaters.

So, here's probably what's going on….
The repeaters are probably high up, big antennas, running up to 50 watts. You can hear the repeater output on your radio since it's a strong signal from a high location.
The people using the repeaters (Transmitting on the repeater inputs and listening on the repeater outputs) probably can't hear you for one of two basic reasons:
1. They are too far away from you.
2. They are using CTCSS or DCS squelches on their radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.