Is this the sound of digital encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
No, that is the sound of a digital voice protocol, I believe that's DMR. You need to put a RTL dongle on it with DSD+ and you'll find out exactly what it is. You would never hear the sound of encryption unless you first had a program that was decoding the protocol.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Encryption in digital doesn't have a different sound. The 1's and 0's are just rearranged differently (generalized explanation). Your ears would not be able to tell the difference between a digital signal in the clear and one that's been encrypted.

And I agree, sounds like a control channel for a trunked system.

troymail

Silent Key
Encryption in digital doesn't have a different sound. The 1's and 0's are just rearranged differently (generalized explanation). Your ears would not be able to tell the difference between a digital signal in the clear and one that's been encrypted.
True if you are an authorized recipient of the conversation but in this case, I think he was thinking more along the lines of "is this what encryption sounds like" for a scanner user.... In that situation, the audio just sounds like mumbo-jumbo noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.