Fitting the Radio Hobby in to Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulears

er, thanks. Very helpful I think. It is a bit short. I can summarise. Turn close call on, Take radios everywhere. be nice to family, listen to recorded audio when home. Thanks

reedeb

Many years ago I was working as security in various sites. I worked out of my car. I had my mobile scanner programmed for the local PD and FD [I had ALL their frequencies even their secret ones]. I also had a CB and HAM radio in the car with me so my nights were anything but boring,[Worked a 10PM to 5 AM shift]. It helped on the long cold winter nights when everything was all but dead.

CQ

I participate on Ham and GMRS frequencies and monitor all others when at my desk only. I interact with family and do other hobbies elsewhere at home. I only play Ham in the vehicle while mobile and listen to music when there's nothing good going on. I enjoy life everywhere else.

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
fitting the radio hobby in to your life

i for one would be lost without a scanner nearby, i have two base/mobile scanners in my listening room one in my living room one in my car and carry a handheld with me everywhere i go.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Am part of the local MRC (Medical Reserve Corps) as a volunteer and serve as Radio Officer and guru. That is my giving-back-to-the-community segment of life. All other times am surgically attached to either an AM radio, shortwave radio, scanner, GMRS radio, CB, you name it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I had my mobile scanner programmed for the local PD and FD [I had ALL their frequencies even their secret ones.

Just curious. What are "secret" frequencies?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Thirty two years ago, I recited the following: "I, bob550, take you, Regency HX-1200, to be my lawful scanner, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or worse reception, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death or electrical malfunction do us part."

So does that give you an idea?

bb911

er, thanks. Very helpful I think. It is a bit short. I can summarise. Turn close call on, Take radios everywhere. be nice to family, listen to recorded audio when home. Thanks

Also, you may want to turn your scanner(s) off at least one hour before bedtime during events that can cause "adrenaline rushes", such as the current fire conflagrations in SoCal. Helps one to avoid scanner related insomnia (SRI). Of course other negative health effects may be experienced. (Cardiac, respiratory, cognitive abilities, etc..).

Medical Disclaimer:
Always consult your physician before beginning any radio monitoring hobby. The general information above is not intended to diagnose/treat any medical condition or to replace your healthcare professional. Consult with your healthcare professional to design an appropriate monitoring program for you. If you experience any alarming symptoms while monitoring, stop and consult your healthcare provider, or call 9-1-1.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Spongella, I feel kinda sick. Never mind. I'm just old.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
i know an OP who is NOT allowed to use a radio or scanner when his wife is present. when he drives to work to pick her up he is on the radio. once she comes to the car, he cuts you off, "I GOT TO GO, 73." and he is outta there. lol. so, even if you have a wife like that, you may still participate when she is not around calling the shots. i was going to suggest he wear a headset but she will not allow that. if you are not like that ham, you can have a radio in every room (or more than 1 radio like I do). unless I am sleeping, I am always monitoring radios and scanners. mainly HF for ham radio though. repeaters, same people all the time, gets old.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I listen to my local public safety religiously. I have a Unication G1 for times I shouldn't have a scanner on. The G1 alerts when departments local to me are dispatched. I also listen to businesses, school buses, and public transportation which can be a great source of info on road and traffic conditions.

I've even found a way to fit the hobby into my job by monitoring the local public works departments during the paving season to know when those folks will be hauling blacktop from our plant. I can also keep our paving crews and haul trucks in the loop on accidents and traffic conditions that may hamper their commute to and from jobs. I've re-routed trucks on several occasions due to accidents to keep a constant flow of material to our jobs.

I usually have 4 scanners running all day long. My G1 is on from 5am till bedtime. The constant talking bothered my wife in the early days, but she's gotten used to it and doesn't mind it much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.