Best/Latest (High Capacity) AA Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadio

So I've looked and don't see a thread dedicated to the latest (highest performance) AA batteries.

As most of you know, handheld scanners generally eat batteries fast.

The last AA's I've purchased were Eneloops in 2014. They do perform fairly well but I am looking to see what else is available now that its 2018.

The last AA's I've used in my scanner (with excellent endurance) were 2500mAh POWEREX cells.

I just found some 2700's: https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MHRAA4-2700mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00A9KTPY8

Does anyone else use something better?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Best Batteries

Yes, this was done long ago when the WS1080 first came out along with the Unidens. The threads are buried in the past somewhere like 2014-2015. But you picked the one most of us were using. The POWEREX used to show 2700mAh but the most recent ones are listed at 2500mAhI still have some old ones listed at 2700 laying here, but depleted. Instead of Amazon and the wait, you can get those in stock at any of those Bulb and Battery stores you see in stripmalls. I get mine at the one in Schaumburg IL out by Roselle Road on GOLF rd.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
We have one of those stores here in Joliet IL, do you recall what the price is for a (4) pack and what charger do you use to charge them.....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Best/latest batteries

Here's the website link. I use the MAHA MH-C801D to recharge, described as a heavy-duty version of the MH-C800S. Love it. I bought that from somewhere else, I think Ham Radio Outlet online. Others have written about it here and the slightly more expensive versions.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/search?q=PowerEX

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank You for all the info, I been looking at the "Opus 3100 Charger which is along the same lines as one mentioned , I think only sold at Amazon.....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@W8RMH? proof of that? they're in a package and I tested them right out of the box. Are they like Burlington Coat factory that was selling DOG fur coats? that actually happened. Can you provide us with a link to the story you claim? Also, the only recent battery problem I've had has been at crap-radio shack *now closed here* I bought 4 of their green slime colored rechargeables *talk about overpriced!* and ONE had no reading at all in the charger. That's pretty bad when you put them in the charger and there is NO reading at all, the little icon showing the battery charging in my MAHA charger showed nothing, no chance of charging it or using it. I've never had a problem from that particular store regarding POWEREX purchases.

nd5y

I have a Powerex MH-C9000 charger/analyzer and tried several different brands of batteries. I'm not sure how accurate it its but it all the batteries I have bought usually test way less than the rated/advertized capacity and that can even vary quite a bit with the same type of battery from the same package.

I would not expect cheap Amazon/e-Bay no-name batteries to have the capacity claimed.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have a Powerex MH-C9000 charger/analyzer and tried several different brands of batteries. I'm not sure how accurate it its but it all the batteries I have bought usually test way less than the rated/advertized capacity and that can even vary quite a bit with the same type of battery from the same package.

I would not expect cheap Amazon/e-Bay no-name batteries to have the capacity claimed.

I have Opus and Lacrosse chargers and have the same findings with Eneloops, EBL, and Odec batteries. The only way I have ever gotten advertised results was to discharge/refresh several times in a row. On a single charge after being fully discharged in the scanner, the white Eneloops are the only batteries I've tested to come close to advertised capacity. That being said, all the batteries I listed even at lower than advertised capacity still give me 8-10 hours run time.

rbm

If you need a charger, here's a good one.

Not only for NiMH but other types as well.
It's available here for around $39.99 but cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-d4-digicharger.html

You may as well be ready for other battery types. ;)

I have LOTS of 'AA' NiMH batteries and Li-ion batteries of different sizes.
(Well over 100)
Just pop them in, and forget about them.
In ANY combination of types and sizes.

The charger will figure it out for you.
I have four of them lined up side by side.

Rich

Nitecore Digicharger D4 4-Channel Battery Charger
Insert, Detect, and Charge

Introducing the D4 Digicharger from Nitecore, a sophisticated and efficient four-channel battery charger.

The sleek and informative charger is compatible with a wide variety of battery sizes and chemistries.

Capable of charging four batteries simultaneously, the D4 is capable of charging everything from Lithium-Ion, to LiFePO4, to NiMh, to NiCd chemistries, and automatically detects the battery type and status before entering automatic charge mode (CC, CV, dV/dt).

The D4 Digicharger also automatically detects battery power status and selects the appropriate voltage and charge mode, with the exception of LiFePO4. You will have to manually select LiFePO4.

Also, gone are the days where you have to sit around and wait for the battery to finish charging, as an automatic power-off function will cut off the current when charging is complete.

aHr7KXAm.jpg

CQ

Verify Which Version

You need to make sure you get the current version LSD Powerex battery. I had the older black/silver versions and those don't last long. I used Imedion but they are a little thicker and may not fit in all your devices. I also had problems with their jacket peeling off at either end. The newer ones are the all black.

Powerex AA 2700mAh (4-pack) - Maha Energy

Imedion AA 2400mAh (4-Pack) - Maha Energy

Powerex Precharged AA 2600mAh (4-pack) - Maha Energy

Powerex Pro Rechargeable AA NiMH Batteries (1.2V, 2700mAh) - 4 pack - Maha Energy

You could go enerloop pro but they're 2550 mAh and usually cost more.
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/lineup.html

cbskate19

1-1-2019.
Best Rechargeable Batteries as of 1-1-2019.
Best Rechargeable Batteries. {January 3rd, 2006. Day of the Week: Tuesday.} For the year 2019, please.
Best Rechargeable Batteries.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/best-rechargable-batteries.27720/
You say that he threads are buried in the past somewhere like 2014-2015, how about some Rechargeable Batteries threads are from: Jan 3, 2006 or before?

Not open for further replies. Then do we make another thread?
Where is the right place to put the rechargeable batteries topics at?

Stay on topic.
Start a new thread if it isn't on topic for the existing one.
Required to post in the correct forum.
All replies to a thread are to be on-topic or within reason.

I don't want to be making duplicate cross-postings or reposting something that is already said.
should we not keep repeating and re-making the duplicate rechargeable batteries threads or is each one with a different topic about it?

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rechargable-aa-batteries-best.114054/
This subject has been beat to death also.. do a search peopls!!!

AA and AAA Battery Chargers | ThomasDistributing.com
Products - Chargers - Maha Energy
What is the difference of a: Maha C9000 Battery Charger, {Part Number: K-MHC9000} Vs. the Maha MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger, {Part Number: MH-C9000}? Or is all of the C9000 the same ones? This one calles it the: POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger. Which is the: SKU: MH-C9000-0000GS, and B&H # POMHC9000 MFR # MH-C9000-0000GS.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/what-rechargable-batteries.346863/
Jan 23, 2017
I am sure this has been covered, but, what rechargeable batteries?

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/adequate-batteries.353539/page-2#post-2768281
May 24, 2017
Anything better or other people use different then the Panasonic Eneloop Pros Vs. Powerex Pro 2700mAh or about the same?

Energizer L91SBP-12 Ultimate Lithium AA Universal Battery - 12pk
Or how about compared to Energizer Ultimate Lithium?

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rechargeable-batteries.354798/
Jun 18, 2017

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/calming-some-scanner-fears-and-comparisons.376265/
Sep 5, 2018

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/whistler-trx-200.379778/#post-3033365
Dec 11, 2018

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/gmsr-and-batteries.238521/
1.6V

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MHR9V-230mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B0002LAKOS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546393805&sr=8-4&keywords=powerex+9v+batteries
What is with a 9.6V and 1.6V batteries?
Is a rechargeable 9v discussion for this thread or an entirely different post, thread, or forum? Most look for aa rechargeable? Do some rechargeable batteries have or not have a rechargeable 9v?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panaso...e-aa-batteries-4-pack/5467065.p?skuId=5467065
Are the eneloop items is no longer available at best buy, radio shack or Batteries Plus Bulbs or which one has them?

eneloop 8pk AA with 4-Position Charger

LaCrosse charger problem or Eneloop problem?

rechargeable-battery-review.com

discharge/refresh several times in a row, you say.
Do the math for me, please.
At 800 minutes a charge
However much time for discharge for 100 ma to 1,000 ma
For 12 cycles if you use the cycle mode
For 9,600 minutes
Equals = 6. something days?
Or do you set it at charge rate at 200 ma or 2,000 ma?

"When tested using the REFRESH/ANALYZE mode, the capacity will be lower than the capacity on indicated on the battery. To obtain a capacity that is closest to the rated capacity, use the BREAK-IN mode.":
FAQ MH-C9000 - Maha Energy

(Well over 100), how long does it take to charge all of the ones you need for the next day if you had two sets of them for each device per day and didn't get enough time to recharge them for two days, and do you just use more then one battery charger to make it quicker, or am I missing something altogether?

What number of recharges are you on for each of your batteries and did you only use them half way, how many of the time, or should we not keep repeating the duplicate rechargeable batteries thread or is each one with a different topic about it? I can't find the thread that was about January 2018 wanting new information about batteries in an older forum thread, can someone find that thread for me?{ i think I found it and can still post in this thread, thanks. Can we only have one thread about all rechargeable batteries, unless it has sub categories about different topics about rechargeable batteries? Anything I missed please add, thank you. Thank you. Thank you again.

DJ11DLN

Have had good luck with Eneloops but for a budget solution the "Thunderbolt" nickel metal hydrides available at Harbor Freight are only about $7 for a set of 4. They're only rated at 2200 mAh but they last within an hour of the Eneloops' duration, albeit the latter are pretty far down the road. For that price I can easily have several sets on hand. I use the Maha charger as well.

+1 on Johnnydollar's experience with the RS rechargeables, I had one set and was very disappointed!

nanZor

The regular Eneloops (non-XXX etc) are still your best bet and highest quality. Why?

If you track the internal resistance of the Powerex regular, Imedions, and even the LSD's, they go higher in internal resistance pretty quick. Same with the higher capacity Eneloops. No free lunch.

You can track the internal resistance with a variety of chargers these days - but the canonical Maha MH-C9000 will still do, but it is hidden. (put a battery in. Look for the very first reading, which you may *think* is voltage, but that value is shown once, and only once upon insertion, and is the relative internal resistance. 1.5 - 1.7 = very fresh, low IR. 1.8 - 2.0 = middle age. 2.0+ = old and approaching getting kicked out). After that initial IR reading, you will be shown the true cell voltage the next time the display cycles through.

BUT, since scanners are typically not high-current draw devices like a flash-gun would be, you may last a long time on even tired old batts with high IR, thus second or third tier batts may suffice. You can't go wrong with Eneloops, *provided* you aren't being sold super old stock that has been improperly stored in high heat, or counterfeits.

Ed6698

I know this battery topic comes up every so often, and lots of good opinions and information comes out. I have been using 2 Powerex MH-C9000s for several years now with Panasonic Eneloop Pros. I never run the Break in or the Refresh/Analyze functions anymore, found them to be a waste of time and battery life imo, not that they are not good functions., I just don't use them anymore. When I start out with a fresh pack of Eneloop Pros they go straight to charge, only charge them between 500ma to 800ma, just like to vary the charge rate every so often. I find 500ma or 600ma the best setting for myself, once they hit the Done stage I let them usually sit for about 2 hours longer and end up with a voltage of 1.48 to 1.5 Been doing it this way for years and get very good results and longevity. The only other function I pay attention to is when the batteries are first placed into charger, the internal resistance, and I do this 1 at a time to see the number before moving on to placing the next battery in. I have tried all different batteries over the years, in the long run the Eneloop Pros imo are the best.
Also when buying batteries get them from a reputable place, trying to save a couple bucks can sometime lead to disappointment.

GTO_04

The regular Eneloops (non-XXX etc) are still your best bet and highest quality. Why?

If you track the internal resistance of the Powerex regular, Imedions, and even the LSD's, they go higher in internal resistance pretty quick. Same with the higher capacity Eneloops. No free lunch.

You can track the internal resistance with a variety of chargers these days - but the canonical Maha MH-C9000 will still do, but it is hidden. (put a battery in. Look for the very first reading, which you may *think* is voltage, but that value is shown once, and only once upon insertion, and is the relative internal resistance. 1.5 - 1.7 = very fresh, low IR. 1.8 - 2.0 = middle age. 2.0+ = old and approaching getting kicked out). After that initial IR reading, you will be shown the true cell voltage the next time the display cycles through.

BUT, since scanners are typically not high-current draw devices like a flash-gun would be, you may last a long time on even tired old batts with high IR, thus second or third tier batts may suffice. You can't go wrong with Eneloops, *provided* you aren't being sold super old stock that has been improperly stored in high heat, or counterfeits.

You nailed it! I do get more charge cycles out of the white (non-Pro) Eneloops before they are EOL though the runtime si shorter. The latest datasheets show the Pro and standard Eneloops having the same internal resistance at 25 milliohms per cell. The newest Powerex Pro 2700 AA also shows 25 milliiohms in its datasheet.

I took a set of older Eneloop Pros that were working fine in my PSR-500 but the minute I put them in a Canon flashgun they failed and would not charge the flash. As far as number of charges, I routninely get 3 years out of the Eneloops charging and discharging them every day in my GRE and Uniden scanners.

GTO_04

brj67bug

So I've looked and don't see a thread dedicated to the latest (highest performance) AA batteries.

As most of you know, handheld scanners generally eat batteries fast.

The last AA's I've purchased were Eneloops in 2014. They do perform fairly well but I am looking to see what else is available now that its 2018.

The last AA's I've used in my scanner (with excellent endurance) were 2500mAh POWEREX cells.

I just found some 2700's: https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MHRAA4-2700mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00A9KTPY8

Does anyone else use something better?

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/KENTLI-Recha...argid=aud-467077737785:pla-312761306587&psc=1

They last the longest out of the 10 different brands of rechargeable batteries I have used. They are LIPO 2800. Mainly used for camera flashes and equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.