Encrypted Fire Radio Sysrems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBHEUSER

Just curious.. how many FIRE RADIO systems are totally encrypted? And have any tried it and returned to open systems?

troymail

Silent Key
I believe Washington DC Fire/EMS was fully encrypted for a time and then partially backed out of it - possibly due to interop issues.

Not fire but a Maryland State Agency was fully encrypted when they switched to the new statewide system but then later turned the encryption off (but there is still lots of encryption being used by various agencies on that system).

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Schuylkill County, PA went 100% encrypted for all users (police/fire/ems/local govt) on their new TRS when the system went live. I believe that is the first system in PA to do that (100% encryption) for fire service.

Last edited:

mciupa

BTW - strange - I don't recall ever seeing conventional frequencies in the middle of a trunk system listing before....

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8000

I did that as a courtesy for people visiting the area that would want to listen to fire page outs.

Locals are aware of the conventional frequencies, but those lucky enough to visit us may be unaware and appreciate knowing them. :)

troymail

Silent Key
I did that as a courtesy for people visiting the area that would want to listen to fire page outs.

Locals are aware of the conventional frequencies, but those lucky enough to visit us may be unaware and appreciate knowing them. :)

Seems like another inconsistency in the way the data is posted in the database.....

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Seems like another inconsistency in the way the data is posted in the database.....

The data is not seen as a DB entry it is a Text entry above the data. The Database does not know it is there.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Why bother encrypting fire?

You would have to ask those agencies that have encrypted why they choose to go that route.

The whole interop thing wouldn't work then?

Not sure why you assume interop wont work. The system that I posted, it appears that there is a high level of cooperation. likely every department uses OTAR, and there is likely a well organized, high level planning group that ensures that encryption keys are coordinated.

I just don't get it.

A 100% encrypted system is not easy, but not impossible, nor does it mean that they cant talk to those folks they need to talk to, regardless of what people think here on RR.

KB7MIB

La Paz County, AZ. Dispatch in the clear, mobiles & portables encrypted on the AZWIN state trunked system.

John
Peoria, AZ

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It seems to vary wildly when it comes to fire services and encryption. Several in the Toronto/Hamilton area are fully encrypted (reasons vary from privacy concerns to better interop with police) (which is never used). Other agencies might have 1 or 2 encrypted talkgroups which could be used for potentially sensitive info like door codes, etc. And lastly many other departments are fully against it, saying there is really need for it on the fireground and adds one more point of failure. There have been a few in my area that went encrypted, only turn end up turning it back off.

Status
Not open for further replies.