Outside Antenna for HP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I am curious as to what others are using for OUTSIDE antenna for the Uniden HP2.
Suggestions and comments welcome.
Regards,
Jerry

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Antennas generally don't care what they are connected to, especially outdoor antennas where you can choose what fittings to put on the indoor end of the coax.

If you only want to monitor a single system, you should probably look at an antenna designed specifically for the frequency range used by that system.

But if you want to monitor a variety of stuff, you should look into a wideband antenna that can receive a variety of frequencies. The gold standard used to be the ST-2, but it's been discontinued. You can still find them on eBay, but they tend to be expensive. Another option is a discone antenna, which you can get from a variety of sources.

But the first question is what are you trying to hear? Everything else depends on that.

KE0GXN

I am curious as to what others are using for OUTSIDE antenna for the Uniden HP2.
Suggestions and comments welcome.
Regards,
Jerry

I have had great results with the Diamond D130J Super Discone Antenna so far. Got it on a mast on my roof, running RG8X coax to the scanner.

ab5r

Thank you JonW. I ant interested specifically in one system and am looking to cover the normal range of frequencies of the HP2. That would be lower VHF to upper UHF (25-900 MHz). That, of course, points to the discones, but I have been disappointed in their performance in years past. BUT, not much else to choose.

Therefore, this post, looking to see what others are using.

SOFA_KING

I have had great results with the Diamond D130J Super Discone Antenna so far. Got it on a mast on my roof...

That is the "gold standard" right there, especially the "N" connector version "D130JN"...not the ST-2. The ST-2 is ok as a fan dipole, but not as wide in bandwidth. The real key to great reception on any radio is a resonant antenna with a radiation pattern that covers the intended area(s), height to clear obstructions, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY good feedline to PRESERVE that signal at intended frequency ranges. I use hardline, and let me tell you that every time I switch to hardline it's like I added a low-noise preamp to my receiver. I pick so much more...some from incredible distances...that I swear by it. If you use some of the on-line coax loss calculators to choose the right line for your frequency limit and line length, and try to keep loss under 1 dB, it will amaze you at how much you hear...with a really good antenna.

Need more gain on a single band? Plenty of choices, even directional antennas, but for general all-band coverage that Diamond discone is hard to beat. I removed the short low band whip with the coil and replaced it with a 62 3/4" no-coil whip to greatly extend my low band range. I also noticed it improved my VHF hi band range some. Bonus! But don't throw away all that good signal capture with feedline loss. That defeats the purpose of putting a good antenna outside in a high place.

Phil

ab5r

I guess that I didn't word my original post correctly, and I am not being critical about the relies received. I appreciate them.

BUT, I am looking for what users have outside now.

Thanks again

daddyjohn

That is the "gold standard" right there, especially the "N" connector version "D130JN"...not the ST-2. The ST-2 is ok as a fan dipole, but not as wide in bandwidth. The real key to great reception on any radio is a resonant antenna with a radiation pattern that covers the intended area(s), height to clear obstructions, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY good feedline to PRESERVE that signal at intended frequency ranges. I use hardline, and let me tell you that every time I switch to hardline it's like I added a low-noise preamp to my receiver. I pick so much more...some from incredible distances...that I swear by it. If you use some of the on-line coax loss calculators to choose the right line for your frequency limit and line length, and try to keep loss under 1 dB, it will amaze you at how much you hear...with a really good antenna.

Need more gain on a single band? Plenty of choices, even directional antennas, but for general all-band coverage that Diamond discone is hard to beat. I removed the short low band whip with the coil and replaced it with a 62 3/4" no-coil whip to greatly extend my low band range. I also noticed it improved my VHF hi band range some. Bonus! But don't throw away all that good signal capture with feedline loss. That defeats the purpose of putting a good antenna outside in a high place.

Phil
What are the specs of the hardline that you are using. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too am happy with the Diamond Super Discone: D130NJ Diamond Super Discone Antenna | Scanner Master I have two on my roof for my x36HP scanners and one in the attic over my garage for the scanner in the garage.

My scanning casts a wide net, so a wide band antenna suits me better.

Key things on antennas: go as high as possible using the best coax you can afford with minimum connectors.

KE0GXN

Thank you JonW. I ant interested specifically in one system and am looking to cover the normal range of frequencies of the HP2. That would be lower VHF to upper UHF (25-900 MHz). That, of course, points to the discones, but I have been disappointed in their performance in years past. BUT, not much else to choose.

I have heard folks bash discones too. But I am not looking to pick stuff up hundreds of miles away. I just want to hear the local stuff and some things in my surrounding counties when I am scanning. So the discone and RG8X coax has worked well for me.

I too have wide band needs, so a particular resonant antenna would not work for me. Now, with said, I got some stuff I wouldn't mind picking up a bar or two on, so I may upgrade to LMR-400 one day, but for now, I only use the LMR coax for my amateur radio stuff.

If you can get a "good" discone up as high as you can with some decent coax you would be surprised with the results.

As a bonus, the Diamond discone can be utilized to transmit too, if push came to shove. I haven't tried it yet but it supposed to good for TX on 6 meters up to 20 watts on FM, 50 watts PEP.

Good luck!

KE0GXN

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY good feedline to PRESERVE that signal at intended frequency ranges.
Phil

I agree 100%! The 8X was some spare stuff I had laying around from previous HF setup, from which I upgraded to LMR.

There are some systems I would like to pick a bar or two on, so I may upgrade my scanner setup later down the road to some LMR coax, but I presently just use LMR for my all amateur stuff right now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

I'm Currently using an ST-2 (aka ScanTenna) for my HP-2, and it does a good job for me here in Dallas. But, as already noted, it's been discontinued. If I were to replace it with another non-directional antenna, it likely would be a discone, such as the D130J.

From your location in Grandview, you're looking at a wide range of frequencies to cover. For your home county, Johnson, the main system is on FWRRS, using 700Mhz frequencies. There are still some county users still on Vhf-high. Midlothian, to your east, is also on FWRRS, a different site but on 700MHz as well. With the exception of Red Oak (on the same FWRRS site as Midlothian), and Waxahachie (800MHz conventional), the rest of Ellis County is Vhf-high. Vhf-high also reins in the counties to your south. The majority of Tarrant County is on FWRRS, in the 800MHz band. Dallas County is all over the board, with Vhf-high to Uhf, and the larger suburbs on 700 or 800MHz trunked systems.

Unless one specific city or agency (or frequency range) is your primary interest, a good omnidirectional antenna would be your best choice.

NYRHKY94

Jerry:

I've had excellent results using the OmniX antenna from DPD Productions as an outdoor antenna. It's an omni directional antenna that performs very well across most bands in my experience. Build quality is excellent and it can handle tough weather conditions with ease. I replaced a Scantenna with the OmniX several years ago and have never been disappointed. I wrote a review that you can find on the DPD site if you are interested:

Http://www.dpdproductions.com

Mike

ab5r

Thank you Mike & Steve. The Diamond seems to be the leader, so far. However, the Omni-X is new a new contender. I had not heard of DPD Products.

Yes Steve, you are right. There is a multitude of frequencies to monitor. Now, it is several scanners on inside antennas; which has mixed results. I definitely need one outside for the HP2.

Thanks again for input.
Jerry AB5R

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Mike & Steve. The Diamond seems to be the leader, so far. However, the Omni-X is new a new contender. I had not heard of DPD Products.

Yes Steve, you are right. There is a multitude of frequencies to monitor. Now, it is several scanners on inside antennas; which has mixed results. I definitely need one outside for the HP2.

Thanks again for input.
Jerry AB5R
For the scanners in my 'home office', I ended up using a multicoupler to feed several from a rooftop ST-2. (I have another ST-2 that feeds my HP-2 in my bedroom).

What I'm looking to try next are some directional antennas. Aim one more or less to my east-northeast for GMRS, Rockwall P25, and Kaufman County P25, another northwest for DFW Airport, as well as Irving, NETCO, Denton County P25, and possibly the MetroCrest site in Coppell. Then, program a scanner mainly for that specific antenna. Many of the new systems, especially the newer P25 Phase IIs are reduced in power, and with an antenna pattern to concentrate the signals on their service area. While I'm, at most, 8 to ten miles from the Grand Prairie border, I can no longer receive them at home, even on an external antenna. I'm hoping that with a directional antenna aimed optimally, I can add them back. The same goes for Arlington. Zero issues when they were on their old Motorola Type 2 systems, but the P25 Phase II's are usually too weak to monitor. I might re-purpose the HP-2 for the DFW, Irving and other systems to my northwest. I have the ProVoice upgrade on one of my 436HP's, that I could use for DFW Airport, but that soon will be a moot point as they transition from their old EDACS system to a Phase II replacement.

Currently, I cannot hear Johnson County from home. If I tried to use a directional antenna for that direction, I'd be aiming more or less 'through' the Cedar Hill antenna farm, and you know that wouldn't go well.

ab5r

Steve, I am not sure where you live, but Johnson Co. is on Braodcastify. (sp?) if you wanted to listen. Not a lot there down here in the sticks.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL

I've had good luck using a simple, home-brew off-center-fed dipole and a fairly short length of RG-6 coax. If you're interested, here is the original RR post from 2013; very easy to build...

https://forums.radioreference.com/b...67-my-homemade-off-center-dipole-antenna.html

At my other location, I use an Antennacraft ST-2 feeding several receivers through a Stridsberg multi-coupler.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.