Did I fry my PSR 400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMac

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, well...I've got a PSR 400 installed in my vehicle (cig lighter power) with a TRAM magnet mount antenna. Earlier today for some reason the antenna came off the roof and fell into the truck bed, at which point the scanner lost power and wont turn back on. So my question is, is this thing fried or is there a reset somewhere that I'm missing? Would the antenna hitting the metal of the truck bed kill it, that would suck.

GreenMac

Premium Subscriber
Not sure why that would fry the radio....

Did you blow a fuse somewhere?

The lighter socket is still giving power and the indicator light on the plug itself is lit when I plug it in. I thought it odd too that the antenna falling would affect the scanner, but thought maybe the antenna touching the metal of the truck may have done it. I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what happens.

Ubbe

If the scanner itself isn't grounded and the power leads negative connection are faulty in some way, the power grounding came from the antenna that now is broken. Or the antenna cable was routed around the power lead that got pulled by the coax and somehow broke the power plug to the scanner.

/Ubbe

GreenMac

Premium Subscriber
It looks a simple case of the scanner not getting enough power. What I didn't realize was that the lighter adapter I was using was only 9v (written very small on a very small label), so I changed over to a 12v, although the scanner itself uses 13.8v. It worked fine for about half an hour before shutting off. I was told running a direct line to power the scanner and my CB from the battery will solve this so that's what I'm going to do once the weather warms up. Thank for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.