RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM

LOL. That's pretty funny. At least they didn't say they were still trying to "eradicate" him.

^--^ PRO-106...436hp...Home Patrol 2 ^--^
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM

"...Rescue is needed......@ the Cleveland Clinic for a patient with a headache."

For those that are not familiar with the name, the Clinic is a World renown Hospital system with a branch in Dubia to servesome of its Middle Eastern patients, so that they don't have to travel to Ohio. This call was to one of its Family Medical Centers in the suburbs.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 PM

I was listening to the Port Aransas Police, Fire and EMS feed.

Receiving end: I forgot....
Dispatch: How dare you

Not sure if Dispatch was kidding or not.
Old 03-17-2013, 8:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Was listening to Detroit Police last Wednesday. They were gearing up for civil unrest which so far has come to pass. Our Governor recently appointed an emergency manager for Detroit which has not set well with a certain group of people.

DPD SW district channel traffic:

DPD Car : Ok Precinct 2 let's load up 4 officers to a car with full riot gear. That way when then flip our cars over and burn them we wont loose so many cars.

I about fell out of my seat laughing... Sadly this has happened in Detroit and during happier times.
Old 03-17-2013, 9:18 AM

Lowell police last night:
Car 4: Could you run this: XXX-XXX (Not the real plate)
Fire dispatch: You are on Lowell fire Ch 1
Car 4: Oh

This morning:
Car 7: Could you run a plate for me?
Dispatch: Sure
Car 7: (As he is stating the letter codes) Foxtrot-Alpha,UNDERWEAR,XXX
Dispatch: No papers (Laughing in background)

The Police Letters Alphabet - alpha, bravo, charlie, delta .......

Last edited by ScannaMan9; 03-17-2013 at 9:54 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2013, 9:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

Local EMS here in Cape Cod last night:

Dispatch: "report of a young woman unconscious in her car, which is behind a building, police have been notified"

A minute later, after EMS acknowledges:

Dispatch: "Unit xx; FYI, the police have aroused the young lady".

Everyone kept their composure, it was late and it probably went past them, or they are very well behaved!
Old 03-17-2013, 9:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wow this thread stretches way back hope it's Ok to Post on it..

But here it Goes my Older Cousin that was retired & in 60's at time was helping out Doing Patrol Duties at one of the Local Towns in the Co.

He was doing a car stop: He called in 604 Dispatch she returned go ahead 604 i have a car pulled over.. And didn't say any thing else so she came back and said 604 what's you location) "So she could stamp the time an location" of the Stop and he didn't hear her.. some time had past and she called Again 604 checking and he still didn't hear her..

By then his Son which was a Dept. Sheriff and two others Dept. all said were heading his way. He then came back over the Radio and said 604 Dispatch she said 604 and checking are you Ok he came back and said i'm Fine she said can you tell me your Location an he said Huh she your location what's your Location 604 And he said

I'm in America..

Last edited by bear780ks; 03-17-2013 at 9:54 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 8:53 PM

These are ultra lean times at the ol' California Highway Patrol.

Just overheard an officer stating he was returning to the office to "trade in my broken equipment for some less broken equipment".
Old 03-19-2013, 9:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Overheard on a local FD channel for a brush fire.

Engine 1- Command from Engine 1 where is your scene located at exactly??

Command- Ummmmmm, look for all the smoke.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweekerbob View Post
These are ultra lean times at the ol' California Highway Patrol.

Just overheard an officer stating he was returning to the office to "trade in my broken equipment for some less broken equipment".
I've heard our locals assessing which cars had enough fuel to run their shift.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterwave View Post
I've heard our locals assessing which cars had enough fuel to run their shift.
Well, I'm starting to think this thread, based on what you just posted, should be changed to: "Funny/Odd/Really Sad Things Heard...."

I mean, when your local PD can't afford gas, that is just sad, man. I'm sorry to hear it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This happened a few weeks ago, but it still makes me laugh when I think about it....

Was sitting at my desk listening to my scanners, and the local FD gets a call from central dispatch to go to the ****** Condominiums, but instead of saying condominium, she says condoms. Heard it plain as day. She didn't stutter or stammer or say condos, she said condoms. You could hear the awkward silence over the air. Seemed like it took the responding fire department just a wee bit longer to acknowledge the call. My wife and I both just fell about our place laughing our heads off. We were both wondering if she may have had something else on her mind. LOL.

Old 03-22-2013, 1:41 PM

Paradise Valley PD (Arizona). This is an upscale town. Expensive homes. The police do mostly vacation checks, burglar alarms and traffic stops, but occasionally they get something really good.

Officer X was sent to a burglar alarm and when she arrived she reported back that there was someone in there and that dispatch needed to contact the owner to come and let them out.

Officer X: "I have a description for you. About 5 inches tall. Brown and black. 2 wings. 2 legs."
Dispatcher: "Received"

I'm surprised I didn't hear any amusement in the dispatcher's voice or any indication of a giggle. You could definitely hear it in the officer's voice. I thought that when the officer reported back what had set off the alarm (not sure how the bird got in), that would be the end of it so it was pretty funny that she decided to put out a description of the "burglar"

Old 03-22-2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
This happened a few weeks ago, but it still makes me laugh when I think about it....

Was sitting at my desk listening to my scanners, and the local FD gets a call from central dispatch to go to the ****** Condominiums, but instead of saying condominium, she says condoms. Heard it plain as day. She didn't stutter or stammer or say condos, she said condoms. You could hear the awkward silence over the air. Seemed like it took the responding fire department just a wee bit longer to acknowledge the call. My wife and I both just fell about our place laughing our heads off. We were both wondering if she may have had something else on her mind. LOL.

Oh, now that is an unfortunately slip-up. How funny, though.

Old 03-26-2013, 3:36 AM

This happened a couple months ago, but I'm just getting around to posting it here:

(Some background: Portland Streetcar opened a new line last September and the line isn't well used yet. This and other reasons can make it easy for an operator to get early. And since virtually every stop has a countdown display, even fewer people probably actually notice a streetcar being early.)

A Portland Streetcar superintendent (I think) called a streetcar operator on the new line and informed him that not only was he running early, but that he had caused Mr. Gustafson to miss the streetcar and be late for a meeting.
01-22-13 10-44-07.mp3

"Mr. Gustafson" is the executive director of Portland Streetcar:
Rick Gustafson - Portland Afoot
Portland Streetcar, Inc. - Board of Directors | Portland Streetcar

It should be noted that this was a private call, and not broadcasted over the regular streetcar radio channel. Doing that reminded me of one of the other posts in this thread.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM

I'm listening to San Diego PD today and heard a call go out for a welfare check on a possible homeless man in Balboa Park. The caller stated the man was a bit unfocused and seemed to be limping. Officer shows up and gives his report.

"45 year old male. Conscious. Breathing. Happy. Having pain in his right leg." The dispatcher acknowledged him and the officer said "He's in a shopping cart in Balboa Park".

Sad, yes, because the guy is homeless, but funny because of how the officer described him. ("happy")

Old 03-26-2013, 2:44 PM

Default Chesapeake Fire

heard at 6:30 this morning, Medic 4 respond to xxx for a 60 year old female complaining of a yeast infection.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Sheriff's Office just put out a BOLO for a truck & trailer stolen in adjacent county. She said the trailer was full of Victoria's Secret "clothing"....pause....any unit coming into contact, please stop and hold....(slight giggle as she went off).
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A few days ago while visiting "home" in FL:
Deputy requests dispatch to spell out last name of a driver for a report.
Dispatch read at a good cadence (example): Alpha, Charlie, Delta, Foxtrot, Golf, Golf, November, Xray, Xray, Zulu.

Deputy: "I'm going to need you to repeat that, I'm too slow."

================================================== =====================
Later that same day, dispatch puts out a BOLO (be on look out) from another agency. You can tell the dispatcher doesn't really seem to care, and once she read the whole thing, I could see why.

Dispatch: "BOLO for a black utility trailer stolen from blah blah, *sigh* stolen sometime between today's date and 2010. Trailer registration is expired, and trailer does not have tags, and owner does not know VIN. *sigh* If you just SO HAPPEN to see this trailer, hold and contact blah blah."
Old 03-30-2013, 8:57 PM

Default Edgewood Patrol Car Fire

Happening now on Edgewood ISD Primary 462.2625 in San Antonio

Unit: I need fire out here. The unit is smoking from the inside!
Disp: Your patrol unit?!
Unit: (sounding pissed) 10-4
Disp: Fire is en route!
Unit: Step up that fire dept., unit is really catching fire now! Looks like fire is coming from the trunk!
Disp: Fire is still code 3!
Unit: Ow! F***! [Incomp]
Disp: (amused) Be careful! Don't get too close to it!
Unit: (less amused) 10-4 sir.

-Later-

Unit: Uh, looks like everything is pretty much 10-4. The car is destroyed. (Laughing) Go ahead and give me a case number for...whatever you want to call it...
Disp: Will do.

Tags