RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 9:15 PM

"Baaaaaah..."
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2017, 9:42 PM

Dispatcher: Respond to x, neighbors say they can hear screaming next door ,15 yr old boy arguing with mother.

Officer: I've got a kid that age, I know exactly what's going on!

Dispatcher: ha ha ha ha...
Old 04-30-2017, 12:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

After 911 happened nothing was flying but the military and police. A friend was flying LAPD choppers at the time. He noted there was no air traffic around LAX and flew closer to look at the airport. Aircraft were parked everywhere. Normally they dont fly near the airspace due to the amount of traffic unless theres a hot call. LA tower does a wonderful job working with all LE air units in the area if they have a call near LAX. They use a discreet frequency for all LE helos. Just for grins he requested clearance from LA tower to fly down runway 26L.... LA tower replies "POLICE 26 clear runway 26L..." A Sheriff helo hearing the rare occurrence said "Because you can.....!"
Old 05-02-2017, 3:11 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Heard just now on an trucking/shipping business TG:

In exaggerated tones -*Help! Help! There is concrete and blocks! I don't know what to do!*

A couple of seconds later other guy in deadpan tone - *Just calm down. Now put her in reverse, close your eyes, and goose her hard.*

I almost wet myself laughing.
Old 05-02-2017, 8:33 PM

Heard an SO dispatcher send a unit out on a Deer VS Raccoon accident this morning.

When the deputy asked do what?

Dispatcher, well I know said Deer VS Raccoon, its a Raccoon vs Car, the RP has a tow truck on the way for car.
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2017, 10:02 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbnks View Post
Heard an SO dispatcher send a unit out on a Deer VS Raccoon accident this morning.

When the deputy asked do what?

Dispatcher, well I know said Deer VS Raccoon, its a Raccoon vs Car, the RP has a tow truck on the way for car.
Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
Dispatcher to PD: Respond to X Street and Y Street for a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Be advised, a blonde female in a bikini is standing next to the vehicle and it's causing a traffic hazard.

PD Unit 1: 10-4, enroute.
PD Unit 2: I'm enroute, sounds like he'll need some assistance with that !
PD Unit 3: Count me in dispatch.
Sgt: Unit 3, you can cancel I think 1 and 2 can handle it.
PD Unit 3: Can I pull seniority on this one?

Well apparently the Fire Department was listening because this comes over in about two min.

Dispatch to Unit 1 and 2, you can cancel per FD on the scene. Apparently they self-dispatched and advised they are handling. They also advised they respond to things that are hot, not the PD !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like my town pd. When there was a naked lady at Walmart just about every cop showed up.

Also once heard
Cop 1 Suspect is old man approx. 50 years old
Cop 2 50 years old is not an old man
Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 PM

Dispatcher: Road hazard. Respond to <address> for a cow in the roadway.

...later...

Officer: Spoke to the owner and advised the cow to stay off the roadway.
Old 05-18-2017, 2:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

About two weeks ago from a neighboring county;

Dispatcher - 911 call just came in from a gentleman at "1234 Main Street" claiming someone rearranged his furniture. He is extremely 10-56 (intoxicated). Caller said he left his house for a little while, came back and his TV, couch and recliner had all been turned around backwards. Again, subject is extremely 10-56.

Deputy - OoooooK. 10-17 (En-route).

Dispatcher never cracked or hesitated during the dispatch.

My wife and I laughed about this call for about 20 minutes.

I figure some of his buddies found out he was drunk and got him out of the house for a little while and played this prank while he was gone. Or, he was lonely and wanted some attention/someone to talk to.
Never heard anything else about it after that.
Old 05-18-2017, 2:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokanic View Post
About two weeks ago from a neighboring county;

Dispatcher - 911 call just came in from a gentleman at "1234 Main Street" claiming someone rearranged his furniture. He is extremely 10-56 (intoxicated). Caller said he left his house for a little while, came back and his TV, couch and recliner had all been turned around backwards. Again, subject is extremely 10-56.

Deputy - OoooooK. 10-17 (En-route).

Dispatcher never cracked or hesitated during the dispatch.

My wife and I laughed about this call for about 20 minutes.

I figure some of his buddies found out he was drunk and got him out of the house for a little while and played this prank while he was gone. Or, he was lonely and wanted some attention/someone to talk to.

Never heard anything else about it after that.

That or he walked into someone else's house. It's been done...
Old 05-18-2017, 3:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpilot View Post
That or he walked into someone else's house. It's been done...
Or he moved it around himself, either before, during, or after getting polluted, had a blackout, and forgot he'd moved it. When I was still an RDS we had a local chronic drunk who would do things while intoxicated and have zero memory of it. We were always getting calls from him, he was sure that the CIA or little green men from Mars or some other undefined "presence" was out to get him!
Old 05-18-2017, 5:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well last night heard two. One was so cute.

Dispatch in one of the areas I can monitor gave out a call to units. "Six year old advises his brother and sister are being mean to him and wants a policeman to come out" I guess he wants PD to get them/punish them.

Second was a great example of third times the charm.
PD was called to train station to forcibly remove a very drunk idiot causing problems.

They did so but let him go.

A while later dispatch asks city units to respond to a drunk causing problems at a local grocery store.

Guess who?

A couple hours later this brain surgeon calls 911 demanding to speak to a police officer. He is standing/walking in the middle of the road. Dispatch can hear several people stopping to tell hm he is going to get hit and needs to get out of the road.

On top of that he refuses to tell dispatch where he is at. He's also being a jerk with dispatch and finally just refuses to talk to them but doesn't hang up his phone.

Anyway dispatch has all available units looking for this moron. One finally finds him and third time's the charm.

One under for DIP.

Now if only they had done it the first time.......
Old 05-21-2017, 12:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don't often like to repeat what I hear as illegal to do so. But what I heard yesterday wasn't about anyone. Fire dispatch: "Cat in distress, being attacked by 2 crows".
Old 05-23-2017, 2:44 PM

New security operation in the area, and late one night, the dispatcher practically yelled into the microphone, "I'm hungry. Can anyone nearby go by the (name of the fast food restaurant nearby) and get me a hamburger?" Yes, there were volunteers to go on the "mission of mercy".
Old 05-23-2017, 5:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpckty1 View Post
New security operation in the area, and late one night, the dispatcher practically yelled into the microphone, "I'm hungry. Can anyone nearby go by the (name of the fast food restaurant nearby) and get me a hamburger?" Yes, there were volunteers to go on the "mission of mercy".
When I was in high school, I did a couple of ride alongs with my local PD. One of the officers and I did a lunch run for the two dispatchers who were on duty that day.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 05-24-2017, 5:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Dispatchers get hungry too. I have done the food run in the middle of the night thing countless times back in my RDS days. You want to keep yourself on those folks' good side if at all possible. They decide who gets what kind of calls. Staying on their good side tends to get you the lion's share of the milk runs while those who can't be bothered to go to Hardee's for them seem to get the crap calls.
Old 05-25-2017, 8:23 PM

What was funny was the way she said it. She sounded like she was already slipping under the console.
Old 05-28-2017, 2:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just heard this.Caller let a couple use their bathroom they were stranded they haven't left in 3 days they appear to be living there(in the bathroom) and won't leave. Dispatch said after three days I guess he figured it was a good time to call us
Old 05-31-2017, 11:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sitting here at the desk and I hear a neighboring town dispatch the following:

"HQ to xxx and xxx. Respond to the area of ***** for a male party who, uh.....uh....uh....who, uh is wigging out."

All the departments in this area share a common set of 10-codes and siganls for calls like this. This dispatcher has been around long enough to know that, and to know which code to use. Oh well, he must be having an off day I guess.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM

One that I recall from many many years back. This is when the PD used a system where the repeaters were normally turned off so you only heard the dispatch. A squad was sent to a report of a woman crawling on her hands and knees. Some time later the dispatcher acknowledged the squad being on scene and asked..."Was she?" The dispatcher sort of chuckled and said 10-4 on that.

Tags