Is this a digital transmission, data, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHAS12

Does anybody know what this noise is on my local PD's tactical frequency? I have been hearing this off and on for months now. It doesn't happen everyday which leads me to believe its some sort of digital transmission or data? I have a digital scanner capable of P25, and DMR and it didn't decode it. I had the scanner set to Tone search, and it didn't have a Ctcss tone or NAC while this was transmitting. The PD usually uses a Ctcss tone of 173.8 on this frequency.

Audio: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1nmWT2e1xTU

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I've heard the same thing in a fire frequency in the next county over from me. I think it may be DMR or NXDN, but I really don't know. Or it could be icom iDAS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHAS12

I've heard the same thing in a fire frequency in the next county over from me. I think it may be DMR or NXDN, but I really don't know. Or it could be icom iDAS

Hmm. I don't think its DMR since my scanner decodes DMR. Maybe ill try and decode it with my SDR sometime if I can catch it.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah this signal always really baffles me! I've never heard anything like it before...it could be DMR tier 3 but I doubt it. Do you know what type of radios your local police uses? Also, are they still using analog, or is this on full time and no analog traffic?

DHAS12

Yeah this signal always really baffles me! I've never heard anything like it before...it could be DMR tier 3 but I doubt it. Do you know what type of radios your local police uses? Also, are they still using analog, or is this on full time and no analog traffic?

They still use analog. even on this frequency except for whatever this is. I would have thought if its some sort of digital voice transmission they would use it when they are conducting tactical operations because they even broadcast analog in the clear when they are doing stuff like that. I have heard encryption on this frequency once before in the past, about 5 years ago, but never again since. After doing a bit of searching I found a document that mentioned them using NX700 radios as mobiles, which are NXDN capable radios I think, so this might be NXDN.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
They still use analog. even on this frequency except for whatever this is. I would have thought if its some sort of digital voice transmission they would use it when they are conducting tactical operations because they even broadcast analog in the clear when they are doing stuff like that. I have heard encryption on this frequency once before in the past, about 5 years ago, but never again since. After doing a bit of searching I found a document that mentioned them using NX700 radios as mobiles, which are NXDN capable radios I think, so this might be NXDN.

Yep I bet that's what it is. The same thing is going on in the county next to me, and I definitely think it's NXDN

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You need to get a $20 RTL SDR dongle and DSD+, it will tell you in about 30 seconds whether you've got a monitorable protocol or not.

DHAS12

You need to get a $20 RTL SDR dongle and DSD+, it will tell you in about 30 seconds whether you've got a monitorable protocol or not.

I have both. It's just a matter of catching it with the SDR and DSD when this pops up. It happens at random times, and usually doesn't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.