The "Re-banding" process

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro96clown

OK, I'm in Southern Cal, specifically El Cajon Cal. I have a PRO 96 and I use win96 for the database management. Now this sounds weird, but a couple days ago, the radio fell off my table onto the carpeted floor. Now I can't receive anything on specific channel banks (4-7) So I uploaded the database again using the star soft win 96 software onto a known working channel but it didnt help. So tonight I'm here on RR and went to the database to check the numbers again

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

and lo and behold it sez my primary control channel(s) have all but disappeared. Clicking on the south cell, which listed my primary control channels for the past several years, they no longer exist. Clicking on that
south cell, it sez it has gone through something called the rebanding process a few days ago..Could that be a coincidence on why I cant receive El Cajon PD and California Highway Patrol anymore?

I'm looking at directions on how to upgrade or whatever. I do have a licensed copy of Win96, and i'm a premium member here, again.

So how do I restore my ECPD and CHP primary channels or what?

Thanks for any help

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
According to my South Cell, it was "rebanded" a couple of days ago or maybe it means updated

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

South Cell was my primary control channels. Now, all of the red and blue highlighted freqs are gone. Not sure what that means. I aint receiving anything anymore.

Rebanding was a stupid solution to a problem created by Nextel and the FCC. The Nextel sites had a nasty habit of interfering with some public safety radio systems in the 800MHz band.

Rather than move the Nextel system, the FCC was duped into forcing users of the NPSPAC 800MHz frequencies. Nextel paid for it, as in Billions of dollars.

Short story is all systems were "rebanded", by moving their frequencies down 15MHz.

Some modern scanners can have their firmware flashed to update them to handle the new 800MHz channels. Some older ones will not.

You'd need to look and see if your scanner can be fixed.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While the process itself is finished, there are many trunks - like the one in this thread - that are still on the air with their rebanded frequencies. Perfectly valid.

The lack of any red/blue frequencies means that no one has reported which frequencies are the primary and alternate control channels. In this case, you will need to program every frequency.

Using Win96, we have the instructions for rebanding in the wiki - look at the rebanding section of

Win96 - The RadioReference Wiki

Now you may need to select a different site if the system was reconfigured (different antenna, etc.) or the power was reduced. Posting some questions in our California forum should bring answers.

Mike

pro96clown

UPDATE and thanks to all for responses. IT WAS/IS A PRIMARY CONTROL CHANNEL ISSUE. The fact that it dropped was a coincidence. The Freq change happened that minute or day!!!

Again, looking at the RR database shows my primary channels disappeared. One was reassigned to Salton Sea, which is a loooooong way from here. The others went to the bit bucket. So I had to look around for another local site that could help and found it here in san diego

San Diego County - Imperial County - RCS Rebanding - Updates - ScanDiego.com

South Cell - (Site 1) - (Site rebanded on March 16,2018)
(Cowles Mountain,Alpine Hts,Otay Mtn,San Miguel Mtn,San ysidro Park,225 W DICKENSON SAN DIEGO)
851.0375 - WQTT904/WQHA388
852.8875 -WQTT905/WQTT904
852.9125 - Control Channel
853.0750 - Control Channel
853.1375 - Control Channel
853.4125 - Control Channel

Note above, there are four control channels defined which RR has not done yet. Putting these puppies in got the scanner back online again, But I do have to probably enter things manually. Using the Win 96 software I did the website import and although it did download and install, it still gave a freqs I dont want even though I ticked them off.

I wanna thank all for the responses

Ugh!! my spouse''s PRO 197 now has the same issue..She needs new control channel freqs

This thread can be marked as SOLVED

oracavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
I thought 800Mhz re-banding was finished several years ago.

Nope, some border areas are still in process. It's been going on for well over
10 years. I rebanded my 800MHz system in 2008…

I found this chart in the most recently available status report (9/30/17) from the 800 Mhz Transition Administrator. Although some progress has been made since then, several areas are still in process.

Attachments

• Transition Map.jpg
    Transition Map.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 186

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, hard to believe this has been going on for over 10 years now.

I'm in Region 6, and we went in 2008. I think some of the stuff that is still pending were agencies that cross the 5/6 line, or had interoperability across the state.

Class 1 Cluster#&@$. Lawyers got rich, Motorola and some other manufacturers got rich, and Sprint/Nextel are still chugging along. Public safety did OK, but it certainly wasn't easy.

We had left over "transition radios" laying around up until recently. Sprint/Nextel was in no hurry to get them back. I offered to start charging them storage fees. Turns out, someone stole a bunch of them out of storage, so we just agreed to call the whole mess a wash.

kma371

QRT
Note above, there are four control channels defined which RR has not done yet. Putting these puppies in got the scanner back online again

Since it was unknown which ones were control channels, they couldn't be added until they were identified or someone submitted them. I went ahead and updated the system. Thanks!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I found this chart in the most recently available status report (9/30/17) from the 800 Mhz Transition Administrator. Although some progress has been made since then, several areas are still in process.

Ohio (Region 33) was completed ages ago. There may still be a couple of entities wrapping up the paperwork side of things, but I think everybody in the state finished the physical process 5-6 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.