Best channels for walkie talkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racing1

What are the best channelsor best range and reception? I've heard it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CrabbyMilton

What sort of radio's are you talking about?
FRS radios seem to be the most common type and all of the frequencies have equal range which is up to a mile give or take.

ecps92

CB?
FRS?
GMRS?
Amateur ?
Marine ?
MURS ?
Commerical [Part 90?]

A Location helps, major events will contains congestion of frequencies, give a little more detail for a better educated response
What are the best channelsor best range and reception? I've heard it makes a difference.

racing1

CB?
FRS?
GMRS?
Amateur ?
Marine ?
MURS ?
Commerical [Part 90?]

A Location helps, major events will contains congestion of frequencies, give a little more detail for a better educated response
Whats the difference between FRS and GMRS? I have a cobra cx112 and its says it's both.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
The biggest difference between FRS and GMRS is the power and licensing. GMRS requires a license to use. That will be channels 1-7 and 15-22 in your radio (this is in the manual that comes with them). GMRS can operate on a higher power level and can also have repeaters. For just general license free chatting Murs is a better choice than FRS as it allows more power. Have I ever heard of someone with bubble pack radios getting charged for transmitting without a license on GMRS.... No I haven't, but I suppose it could be a thing. Then there's always CB if you're wanting to go that route.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The biggest difference between FRS and GMRS is the power and licensing. GMRS requires a license to use. That will be channels 1-7 and 15-22 in your radio (this is in the manual that comes with them). GMRS can operate on a higher power level and can also have repeaters. For just general license free chatting Murs is a better choice than FRS as it allows more power. Have I ever heard of someone with bubble pack radios getting charged for transmitting without a license on GMRS.... No I haven't, but I suppose it could be a thing. Then there's always CB if you're wanting to go that route.

Note as of September 28, 2017 you no longer need a GMRS license to use "bubble pack" combo FRS/GMRS hand helds on the 15 GMRS frequencies in these radios as long as the transmit power is under 2 Watts. The 7 FRS channels are still limited to 1/2 Watt.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Completely forgot about that. Need to brush up on my rules before I go spouting off to people hahaha

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Also note that the Cobra CX112 (as well as the CXT145, CX116A, CX131A, CXT145C and CXT195) transmit at under 1/3 Watt on all 22 channels (FRS and GMRS). It is really only good for very short range (maybe 1/4 mile) communications.

racing1

Also note that the Cobra CX112 (as well as the CXT145, CX116A, CX131A, CXT145C and CXT195) transmit at under 1/3 Watt on all 22 channels (FRS and GMRS). It is really only good for very short range (maybe 1/4 mile) communications.
How do I know what channels are better for my usage. FRS vs GMRS?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

For your Cobra CX112 radios, it doesn't matter which channel you use (FRS or GMRS). They all transmit at the same power (1/3 Watt) on that model For higher end bubble pack FRS/GMRS hand held radios with more transmit power (1-1/2 to 2 Watts), use the GMRS channels(1-7 and 15-22) as they use the higher power. FRS channels (8-14) are always limited to under 1/2 Watt.
As I mentioned above, antenna height (elevation) and what obstructions are between the two radios have a much bigger impact on how far you can communicate than transmit power. The range charts in the above link are only approximations of how far you can talk. Here is more information on why "range" is a complex question.
https://www.intercomsonline.com/2-Way-Radio-Range-How-Far-Can-Two-Way-Radios-Communicate-s/136.htm

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

With that radio, there wouldn't be any difference since all channels run at the same power, about 0.3 watts. Pick a channel that is clear and use it.

The 5MHz difference between the 462.xxxMHz channels and the 467.xxxMHz channels will not have any impact on performance.

Some FRS/GMRS radios do run more power on the GMRS channels. You'd have to look at individual models to determine if they do or not.

Maybe if you give us an idea of what you are looking for, we could steer you in the right direction. If your current radios are not working in your application, there may be alternatives. Simply throwing more RF power will not necessarily solve all coverage issues.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Typically there is no 'better channel'. I guess if you wanted to split hairs, the antenna might be tuned better near one of the middle channels within the range.

What makes a channel/frequency better, would be the one with little or now radio traffic on it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you want more "range" get yourself a VHF radio, not a UHF radio.

I am specifically talking about MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service). Get yourself a pair of 5 watt MURS radios and program in one of the MURS frequencies on both units.

Status
Not open for further replies.