Does scanner proximity to my WiFi router have an effect on reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unforgiven_AF

I'm new to all of this, but one thing I have noticed is my new BCD536HP doesn't seem to have the same pickup that my old radio shack scanner did when it sat in the same spot with more or less the same antenna (~30" telescopic metal thing, I know, I know, I'm doing my best to learn the terminology :eek: ). I've already decided a better antenna is in my future, so I'll read and ask about that when the burn money is available. :D

Anyway, I have both my router (Netgear Nighthawk R8500) on the same table as my 536. The scanner antenna is roughly 24" away from the routers (4 active antennas, 4 internal antennas). Would that have any impact on the scanner reception? If so, would it be a major impact?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. Especially if the router is generating any RFI outside the WiFi bands. Which is common for digital devices to do. The impact could be anything from minimal to completely drowning out the desired signal, depending on the frequency.

Unforgiven_AF

Yes. Especially if the router is generating any RFI outside the WiFi bands. Which is common for digital devices to do. The impact could be anything from minimal to completely drowning out the desired signal, depending on the frequency.

That would explain a lot. Thanks (why is there no thanks button here?) I have some shuffling to do then as I'll need to move my cable modem and router. It will have to wait as I am testing a new modem tonight.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Different scanner models can perform differently even in the absence of any interference. A sensitive receiver with a high dynamic range, one that can receive weak, as well as strong signals without overloading, will outperform a receiver with poor sensitivity or low dynamic range. Some of the old RadioShack scanners, especially those produced by GRE, such as the PRO-2004, 5, 6 models, were coveted for their performance, and are still sought after nearly 25 years after they went out of production. However, if you believe your router is affecting your signal, try powering it down while you're scanning to see if there's any difference in reception. To be sure, just connect your 536 to an antenna that's physically distant from your desk. There's multiple options for indoor antennas and connecting cable that would be effective. The best option is, of course, is an outdoor antenna mounted high, and connected to your 536 by well-shielded cable.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
My Wi-Fi router overloads my GRE scanner in pretty much every band from the VHF high band on down to VHF low and CB. My Uniden cannot hear anything from those bands that I mentioned if I'm near the router. I can hear UHF and 700/800 MHz just fine near the router. But when I put my scanners near it (when monitoring Analog UHF), I do hear a little background noise. Just my two cents.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Mostly the antenna, but if the RFI is strong enough, it can leak through the shielding in the scanner case.

Ubbe

I envy those that can use their portable scanners and radios sitting on the table without using any sort of external antenna. That's impossible for me with all the interference that comes from LCD tv and computer screens, sat-tv box, WiFi router, RaspberryPi based devices, computer and it's USB cables, AIS receiver and more or less any electronics in the same room. I have to route every receivers antenna jack to antennas above my roof which is made of aluminum metal.

/Ubbe

Unforgiven_AF

Wouldn't it affect it by the proximity of the antenna rather then the scanner itself?
I mentioned in the OP that I haven't upgraded from the antenna it came with, so right now, the proximity of the scanner and the antenna are sadly the same. :(
Mostly the antenna, but if the RFI is strong enough, it can leak through the shielding in the scanner case.
Once I finish a different test for my modem and router that requires that configuration to remain static I can easily move them. The only thing physically connected to the router is the modem. All the other electronics in the house including 4 Chromebooks, 2 Kindle Fire's, 2 Kindle paperwhites, 1 Windows Laptop, Android TV, Blueray player, 3 x-Box consoles, 4 smartphones, an array of [stike]NSA Listening Devices[/strike]Amazon Echo Dots, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting, all connect via Wifi. Moving it will actually make it more centralized in the house. I would make it more centralized in the house, but may affect my coverage in the garage.
I envy those that can use their portable scanners and radios sitting on the table without using any sort of external antenna. That's impossible for me with all the interference that comes from LCD tv and computer screens, sat-tv box, WiFi router, RaspberryPi based devices, computer and it's USB cables, AIS receiver and more or less any electronics in the same room. I have to route every receivers antenna jack to antennas above my roof which is made of aluminum metal.

/Ubbe
I'm just getting started on the radio side. :D.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The best thing you can do to minimize interference from your router, and generally improve your scanner reception overall, is to install an outside antenna as soon as you can. If your circumstances are such that an outside antenna is not possible, even putting a mobile antenna in a window, some distance from your router, would probably help quite a bit. Putting an antenna in the window (or on a ledge or a balcony) could improve overall reception. Getting it away from your router might help even more.

- John

Unforgiven_AF

The best thing you can do to minimize interference from your router, and generally improve your scanner reception overall, is to install an outside antenna as soon as you can. If your circumstances are such that an outside antenna is not possible, even putting a mobile antenna in a window, some distance from your router, would probably help quite a bit. Putting an antenna in the window (or on a ledge or a balcony) could improve overall reception. Getting it away from your router might help even more.

- John

Once I save a little green, and up here in New England we stop getting high winds and snow, I'm going to mount an antenna at the top of my unused chimney, so I should be able to get close to 30' off the ground. I should be able to make it from there to my base station witha 50' run of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.