G4 STOLEN from Columbus Ohio and likely sold on EBAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gang,

I had my Unication G4 stolen from my car two weeks ago, along with my white, micro usb charging cable. It was stolen from my driveway in Columbus, Ohio. The G4 was programmed with Central Ohio LE (CPD, FCSO, etc).

I recently found what I believe to be my G4 on EBAY, with the seller in Columbus, Ohio. He even put my white usb cable in the photo. I attempted to contact the seller with no response. It is now listed as sold and the active listing has been removed.

If anyone purchased this Unication G4 I would be very, very grateful if you reach out to me. There are no legal ramifications here so please don't worry about that, none of us know what we are buying or where it came from. I will happily provide you with the serial number, MSN, Voice Pager Serial number (number on the bar code on the side of the radio). I will also send you a photo of the original box with said numericals displayed.

Thank you!

Matt
mharris7000@gmail.com
614-774-0350

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The moment you found it on Ebay, you should have reported it to the police dept that took your theft report. Reaching out to the seller or buyer should be handled by the detective assigned to your case. Many times the PD will bid on the item themselves and will better the chances of a conviction.

SCPD

QRT
Make report. Have the SN put into ncic. Have LE look at link and user name for report. Ask officer if he could have it investigated and investigator contact ebay for user information and listing SN.

I would imagine since whomever stole it steals often I'm sure more items could be found or someone that person associates with to barter sell on websites. Common trend in criminal activity sell the items online get them out of area if possible.

And this goes for everyone in PS, hobby goers, FF, EMS. Never make it obvious what you have inside. Flashing a fancy radio isn't always a detourant. In fact two ways, scanners are a common thing Tweakers will steal or bash grab n dash crooks will go for with other items. If It cannot be permanently mounted with security measures it should be on your person. I have seen handhelds taken from fire scenes left on dashes, bumpers, seats. They watch. They wait patiently.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just a note, until it is actually entered into your state agency and forwarded to NLETS, it isn't technically "stolen".

What everyone is telling you is correct, make sure to get your local LE to do a proper report and that the entry be made (reports usually have to get approved depending on the agency and their workload it can take hours to days).

good luck, Ebay is usually very good at cooperating with law enforcement, but they won't do ANYTHING without a valid active case and documentation that the property being sold is actually stolen.

It all depends on how good your local law enforcement is at doing their part.

phask

Premium Subscriber
PROOF it isn't technically "stolen".
Definition of theft/stolen would be by statute and easily vary by state.

This would vary by local law. - I've never heard of NLETS (in Ohio) and AFAIK, nothing local ever gets enterd. Maybe some of the larger LEO with automated systems, but many still use only paper.

Just a note, until it is actually entered into your state agency and forwarded to NLETS, it isn't technically "stolen".

What everyone is telling you is correct, make sure to get your local LE to do a proper report and that the entry be made (reports usually have to get approved depending on the agency and their workload it can take hours to days).

good luck, Ebay is usually very good at cooperating with law enforcement, but they won't do ANYTHING without a valid active case and documentation that the property being sold is actually stolen.

It all depends on how good your local law enforcement is at doing their part.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You might also notify Unification that it is stolen. Perhaps they can stop it from receiving updates or capture name of new user.

Also it just sold yesterday so the seller may still have in his possession. Get the police on it. If it makes it to the post office, maybe a talk with postmaster and postal inspectors, might get it intercepted.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
PROOF it isn't technically "stolen".
Definition of theft/stolen would be by statute and easily vary by state.

Stolen means it is verified by NLETS date entered into NCIC and a hit is confirmed when the serial number run through NLETS/NCIC by your local law enforcement agency. If the serial number isn't entered properly along with the article make/model/type it may not return properly. Without a hit confirmation, it's not stolen.

- I've never heard of NLETS (in Ohio) and AFAIK, nothing local ever gets enterd.

Google is your friend. And yes, Ohio is "online". I run inquiries on Ohio tags, drivers, articles via my message switches (both on my new CAD/RMS suite and legacy CAD). If the local agency is too understaffed or inept to enter stolen articles through OHLEG terminals via their mobile field reporting or at a station, than they are incompetent. How do they report their crime statistics to the Feds?

Maybe some of the larger LEO with automated systems, but many still use only paper.

And eventually some RMS clerk has the fun of entering all those articles electronically into their RMS and your state's criminal justice information system, OHLEG.

With NIBRS coming, it's time for agencies (and those in charge of RMS) to get with the program. Not entering stolen articles? Seriously?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yeah - seriously, if domestic violence convictions are not even being entered, I'll guarantee a lot of minor thefts are not entered. In many areas, you won't even get a report taken for less than $1000. If one need one for insurance purposes - go to a station, fill it out and get a rubber stamp.

As far as I can determine there is no requirement in Ohio to enter into NLETS.

Ohio has some agencies that are just 1 part time officer getting 10 bucks an hour - do you think all the paperwork gets done?

I'll give you a good example: Ohio requires stolen firearms to be reported, a buddy in a neighboring town of 45,000 (or so) had a handgun stolen, called the PD got a "so what?". Went to the station, same deal. Printed out ORC (Ohio Revised Code) and walked it up the ladder to finally get a report. Odds are that report never went anywhere.

BTW - no one in Ohio calls it OHLEG - except the politicians. Everyone calls it LEADS, (Law Enforcement Automated Data System).

We have 88 counties and every Sheriff does stuff" differently, most by the book, but not all. Concealed Carry is administered by the Sheriff, very strict guidelines per ORC, yet there are still ones that try stretch the rules.

Stolen means it is verified by NLETS date entered into NCIC and a hit is confirmed when the serial number run through NLETS/NCIC by your local law enforcement agency. If the serial number isn't entered properly along with the article make/model/type it may not return properly. Without a hit confirmation, it's not stolen.

Google is your friend. And yes, Ohio is "online". I run inquiries on Ohio tags, drivers, articles via my message switches (both on my new CAD/RMS suite and legacy CAD). If the local agency is too understaffed or inept to enter stolen articles through OHLEG terminals via their mobile field reporting or at a station, than they are incompetent. How do they report their crime statistics to the Feds?

And eventually some RMS clerk has the fun of entering all those articles electronically into their RMS and your state's criminal justice information system, OHLEG.

With NIBRS coming, it's time for agencies (and those in charge of RMS) to get with the program. Not entering stolen articles? Seriously?

fredva

Feed Provider
As others have said, the OP needs to get law enforcement and ebay involved. If not, appealing to the purchaser may not work. If the purchaser has already sent money to the seller, he or she may be wondering about reimbursement.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
This may not help you, but it could help others...... I have purchased my own stolen items off of eBay within days of being stolen. I use my credit card and dispute the charges once I have my item in hand. After I receive the item, I get Law Enforcement involved (to verify it is actually my item). Sometimes the LEOs complain that I should have let them handle it and are pissed I got involved (perhaps jeopardizing their case?). I have successfully disputed the card charges every time. In the end, I have my item and did not pay for it twice. Make sure to notify insurance company that you recovered your property. TT

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
This may not help you, but it could help others...... I have purchased my own stolen items off of eBay within days of being stolen. I use my credit card and dispute the charges once I have my item in hand. After I receive the item, I get Law Enforcement involved (to verify it is actually my item). Sometimes the LEOs complain that I should have let them handle it and are pissed I got involved (perhaps jeopardizing their case?). I have successfully disputed the card charges every time. In the end, I have my item and did not pay for it twice. Make sure to notify insurance company that you recovered your property. TT

This sounds like terrible advice.

wbswetnam

For my radios that are capable of changing the start-up screen (my Uniden BCD536HP, BCD325P2, Whistler 1095 and TRX-1), I have it display my name, address and phone # for several seconds on start-up. Few thieves are going to know how to change this. Also I keep a list of the serial #s of all of my radios. If ever I have a radio stolen I can immediately provide LE with the serial # of the radio.

Voyager

The moment you found it on Ebay, you should have reported it to the police dept that took your theft report. Reaching out to the seller or buyer should be handled by the detective assigned to your case. Many times the PD will bid on the item themselves and will better the chances of a conviction.

What HE said. The more time it has to "travel", the less likely recovery is.

I will also add a note of caution about accusations. There is no proof the seller knows it is stolen. He may have purchased it from the person who stole it, so he may be innocent in this as well.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

This sounds like terrible advice.

Except if you live in Florida where local law enforcement can't be bothered. I am still pissed off at the way a Credit Card fraud case was handled by my local LE. Meh!

Credit card skimmed in town, used in next town over. You would think the detectives would be eager to look at video tapes and bust the culprit. Instead I got lectured (by two police departments) about how easy credit card theft is. I came away with the feeling it should be my new occupation!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Seems the Seller has Great Ratings since 2000--Not 1 Negitive on the Account

Where does he get his stuff? If he frequents pawn shops, that may be where the scanner ended up for a short while. In which case it may be on inventory with the local police.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Seems the Seller has Great Ratings since 2000--Not 1 Negitive on the Account

That's where you have to be careful. The Ebay seller might not be the same person that took the radio. It could have changed hands numerous times before it got to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.