the future of digital scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayvelcoro

Any engineers/technicians out there know if they'll ever be able to make a digital trunking scanner that can deal with simulcast and not be so finicky overall?

I_am_Alpha1

Any engineers/technicians out there know if they'll ever be able to make a digital trunking scanner that can deal with simulcast and not be so finicky overall?

Motorola XTL5000...plenty on E-Bay today...and cheaper than Uniden and Whistler. They are harder to program, but since they are commercial radios, they get the job done.

Voyager

They also lack many features by comparison. But they have a few features the SDS100 doesn't, too.

rayvelcoro

Thanks. Not exactly sure what "software defined" means as applied to a portable.

radio3353

Thanks. Not exactly sure what "software defined" means as applied to a portable.

SDR has nothing to do with the external package. SDR is 'just' incorporating functions in software that used to be handled by hardware.

rayvelcoro

SDS 100 definitely gets my attention, but I have to wonder what Whistler has on the horizon. It took me a year to figure out the nuances of the TRX-1 (and still learning!). I'd prefer to stick to a familiar platform at this point as I doubt I'd have the patience to "start all over."

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Three Options

SDS 100, Unication G5, professional grade radio capable of receiving target frequencies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
SDS 100, Unication G5, professional grade radio capable of receiving target frequencies.

I don't think the SDS100 comes even close to being professional grade. It's design comes from a scanner that has been plagued with hardware and software problems for years.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Oh really?

I don't think the SDS100 comes even close to being professional grade. It's design comes from a scanner that has been plagued with hardware and software problems for years.

Do you have inside info from Uniden about future product design?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Corrections:
1. While the SDS100 uses the same general programming format as the BCDx36HP series, the receiver hardware is different, the display is different, the battery is different, and the SDS100 has a waterproof case. But other than that they are identical.

2. The hardware issues in the x36 line were resolved in 2015-2016, and Uniden has a repair program for affected customers that pays shipping in both directions.

3. Uniden firmware is no buggier than anyone else's, and Uniden is pretty responsive to customer feedback regarding bugs.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Corrections:
1. While the SDS100 uses the same general programming format as the BCDx36HP series, the receiver hardware is different, the display is different, the battery is different, and the SDS100 has a waterproof case. But other than that they are identical.

2. The hardware issues in the x36 line were resolved in 2015-2016, and Uniden has a repair program for affected customers that pays shipping in both directions.

3. Uniden firmware is no buggier than anyone else's, and Uniden is pretty responsive to customer feedback regarding bugs.

(IPX4) standards for water resistance not water proof. And any GPS mod will void that rating.

rayvelcoro

If I decide to order a Unication G5 (live in the Atlanta area), can I depend on the supplier to properly program the radio for what I want to listen to?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No, I'm making a cutout in the case, but I seal the cutout with DAP clear adhesive caulk (which is also how I secure the GPS module in place). If the rest of the case is sealed against water intrusion, the GPS mod won't change that.

radio3353

No, I'm making a cutout in the case, but I seal the cutout with DAP clear adhesive caulk (which is also how I secure the GPS module in place). If the rest of the case is sealed against water intrusion, the GPS mod won't change that.

The caulk you are using withstands water immersion? I think that defines waterproof as opposed to waterresistant. What is the p/n of the caulk you use? Thanks.

radio3353

Just to clarify, the G5 is not a scanner which is what the OP was asking about. Nevertheless, for monitoring a single system at a time, the G5 (or G4) is hard to beat.

KB7MIB

He wasn't saying that the SDS100 was a professional grade radio.

He was giving the OP 3 options: a Uniden SDS100 when it is released, a Unication G5 pager (a G4 would also work), or a professional grade radio properly programmed for non-affiliate scan.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.