Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA 2550mAh Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How many of you are looking for maximum running time on your scanner's 'AA' batteries? I highly recommend these! They are sold at most camera shops for the high demands of digital cameras. They're also all over Ebay. They're normally sold in 4 & 8 packs. There is a seller on Ebay that sells the as single cells. However, the sealed bubble packs offer some assurance that they are not used.

I would not recommend charging these in the scanner using the 5v USB charging. Instead, invest in a professional battery charger such as Powerex Maha chargers. My personal favorite charger:

MH-C801D Offers rapid charge, soft charge, and conditioning.
MH-C801D - Maha Energy

Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA 2550mAh Ni-MH PreCharged 4 Pack Rechargeable Batteries
71tH2LwFaPL._SY450_.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use 14500 Li-ion batteries. Over 13.5 hours of run time, but you have to rewire the battery contacts parallel instead of series.

bb911

If anyone is close to IKEA they can try out the much cheaper LADDA 2450 which appear to be eneloop pros. See: https://gizmodo.com/are-ikeas-7-rechargeable-batteries-actually-pricey-ene-1823204061

Thanks for the great info. I've got some of the old Sanyo eneloops, rated at 2000 mAh. They are still going strong.

(BTW, for those who doubt that the batts could be the same: Glaxo-Smith-Kline bottles at least one of their drugs under a generic label, and the capsules are identical to the brand version -- right down to the "GSK" on them. Small print on bottle confirms it. For those who know about drug prices, it's interesting to note that the drug is made in Canada).

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I bought an 8-pack of Powerex 2700mAh from Universal Radio when I bought my charger, about five years ago. They did not hold a charge very long. They didn't look anything like the ones they currently show on their website. I wonder if I bought some old stock.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/misc/1098.html

bb911

I bought an 8-pack of Powerex 2700mAh from Universal Radio when I bought my charger, about five years ago. They did not hold a charge very long. They didn't look anything like the ones they currently show on their website. I wonder if I bought some old stock.

Powerex site in Nov. 2013: https://web.archive.org/web/20131111050949/http://www.mahaenergy.com/batteries/

It appears that you got a completely different battery 5 years ago. Today's Powerex was likely the Imedion battery back then. (Note self discharge rates).

CQ

They have non LSDs that aren't the greatest.

They also have the Imedeons that have been replaced by the new black with yellow lettering. They have the Pro and non-pro versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MHRA...TF8&qid=1525313126&sr=8-4&keywords=imedion+aa

slicerwizard

The 2550 mAh LSD AA Eneloops are going for about CDN$30 for a pack of four on amazon.ca; meanwhile, I can (and did) get eight Duracell 2500 mAh LSD AA cells plus a cheesy 2 hour four cell charger for CDN$25 at Costco. It's a no brainer.

n1das

My new powerex pros are 2800 and work great
I've heard nothing but great things about the Panasonic Eneloop batteries. The Powerex batteries are great too. I will be on the lookout for these at an upcoming hamfest this weekend. (NEAR-fest in Deerfield NH) There is always a battery vendor there a fresh stock of batteries.
:)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rred

Panasonic are one of the better battery makers. I'm surprise to see them sharing a trademark with Sanyo, unless they bought out the company or cut a licensing deal. Panasonic's own cells were pretty good previously, with very long shelf storage life--just like Enerloop.

I'd buy mine from Costco if I needed more, because ebay and Amazon both are flooded with counterfeit batteries. At one point, literally every "Ultrafire" brand cell on both of those sites was a counterfeit. Costco, at least I know is buying from authorized distributors.

CQ

I Only Want You for Your Batteries

Panasonic are one of the better battery makers. I'm surprise to see them sharing a trademark with Sanyo, unless they bought out the company or cut a licensing deal. Panasonic's own cells were pretty good previously, with very long shelf storage life--just like Enerloop.

I'd buy mine from Costco if I needed more, because ebay and Amazon both are flooded with counterfeit batteries. At one point, literally every "Ultrafire" brand cell on both of those sites was a counterfeit. Costco, at least I know is buying from authorized distributors.

Panasonic Buys Sanyo for Its Batteries
https://gizmodo.com/5423240/panasonic-buys-sanyo-for-its-batteries

stingray327

I get my Eneloop Panasonic batteries from Costco.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
AA Eneloops

I too am still running a couple sets of Sanyo Eneloops. I love them. I also have a couple of sets of Panasonic Eneloops. For scanners I am only using 2000mAh. I do have a couple of 2700mAh for higher demand devices like cameras. No complaints.

I have tried lots of other brands of AA NiMH batteries. They all failed, especially PowerEx. I don't think people are saving any $ by buying a "cheaper" brand. I have bought from both Costco and online.

Voyager

A year? I have Eneloops that are several years old and still going strong.

Voyager

Duracells are some fine cells, too. They are my second choice. (first being Eneloop)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops!

What service life were you getting? My PowerEx 2700mAh would last me about a year, using a Maha charger on them.
At home I use the Maha charger. When travelling I use the cheap chargers sold with the batteries. The PowerEx batteries I had are long gone (as are all the other brands) and didn't last a year.

I have 3 generations of Eneloops in use. The newest are 2 years old and still recharge to over 2000mAh. The oldest sets are over 5 years old and only take about 1650mAh after a full discharge. For scanner use I have 4 sets of 4 AAs that I cycle through. In town I run a single scanner, when on the road I run two scanners all from these batteries. The 4 sets are enough to have one in each scanner, one in the charger and one on deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.