RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018, 6:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessnet View Post
I'd bet those that are posting negative about GPS capability - have never actually used it.
I am in no way, shape, or form against GPS scanning.

I think I would prefer to custom program a favorites list/scanlist, and let a GPS do it's thing, instead of utilizing the whole database, so I'm not hearing small town departments off the highway, or precincts of larger city departments that are a ways off the freeway, (as mentioned above) but that's just a personal preference. If Jon or anyone else wants to utilize the whole database, that's their own personal preference.

My position has always been that for those of us who do not have a GPS puck, or only owning a scanner such as my GRE PSR-500 that can't accept a GPS, manually selecting/deselecting a FL/SL by one or two button presses, that should be able to be done by feel without taking your eyes off the road, isn't that big a deal. I don't see it as being much more involved than turning a knob to scroll past an unwanted channel when using the whole database. It's a self discipline issue, to keep your eyes on the road.

I Do Agree that more than 1 or 2 button presses is more likely to cause a driver to take their eyes off the road, and should be avoided.

I Also Do Agree that consulting a cheat sheet to remember what you programmed where can be a distraction issue. Which is what regular gas and bathroom breaks should be used for, or what a passenger can be tasked with.

If Jon or someone else had mentioned the distraction issue much earlier than was done, then this discussion would probably have been much shorter, as I thought Jon was against the custom programming vs using the whole database until the distraction issue was actually mentioned.

It is my intention to eventually utilize GPS scanning, whether with an external GPS, or having Jon do his modification, when I can afford it.

So can we put the arguing over it to rest now that we've clarified our positions? I don't want there to be bad blood over a misunderstanding due to a lack of clarification, and assumptions about our respective positions on the issue.

John
Peoria, AZ
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2018, 6:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhouk View Post
Also make sure your service types are activated for favorite list you've created. Don't be a noob to (location based scanning) like me and type up a long bug report only to find out my service type wasn't active before I hit send!

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhouk View Post
During my testing I found 0 mile to be the best for my locations while driving highway speeds. Driving though several counties with only interoperability, law dispatch/tac activated I heard, only exactly what I was expecting to hear.

I would however like to see the ability for the scanners to know what direction you are driving and turn off agencies behind quicker.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I definitely will make sure my service types are set appropriately.