RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 5:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Use of misc scanners

So now that sds100 is here and will be getting at least one more x36 model, ive been trying to decide what to do with my other scanners. I decided to take my aor8600 and program for summer listening like USCG, marine channels, etc. Sometime ago a friend challenged me to add the p25 pcb option to my aor like he wanted to for his. Only mine was the test model first. Lucky for us electronics and radio are my life and career. I installed the modules with success and the p25 sounded great, so this helps with monitoring USCG astro. Now if i could just decide on the others??
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2018, 5:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Now if i could just decide on the others??

Considering setting them up for SkyWarn, FRS/GMRS/MURS, local schools, etc.
Old 06-06-2018, 1:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Personally, I would like to have a scanner just to monitor all of the NIFOG and local interoperability and PSAP channels (conventional and trunked), the federal/state/local disaster response channels (conventional and trunked), the NIFC/NIRSC channels, the federal goverment common channels, federal and state wildland firefighting and conservation law enforcement channels, any other (especially seldom used) channels that I can think of, as well as Luke AFB's FD on their trunked system.

This would free up a main scanner to focus on city PD's and FD's, the Sheriff's Office, the county DOT's emergency response unit, a few other select county agencies (other than the EOC), as well as DPS, and ADOT enforcement and their emergency response unit.

MURS/FRS/GMRS may prove interesting, depending on who uses it in your area. A local GMRS repeater here has traffic reports, and a few members are Skywarn trained as well, from what I understand. (That's in addition to the Ham radio licensed Skywarn members on a 70cm repeater here, and an emergency net that also frequently becomes active on 2m when there's bad weather in the metro area.)

Once school is back in session, unless they have year round schools there, listening to your local school district buses can supposedly be great for traffic reports, according to posts here in the forums that I've seen in the past. A local school's security channel may also be interesting to listen to, if you're close enough to hear it.

Just some ideas.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 06-06-2018, 1:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
Once school is back in session, unless they have year round schools there, listening to your local school district buses can supposedly be great for traffic reports, according to posts here in the forums that I've seen in the past. A local school's security channel may also be interesting to listen to, if you're close enough to hear it.

Just some ideas.

John
Peoria, AZ

With all the mass shootings in schools, who knows what you might hear. I'm not saying it's a form of entertainment in any way. But if I still had my kids, or grand kids in school these days, I'd want to know what's going on.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yea, I didn't want to mention that possibility, but it's a very real possibility.
My local school district uses low power UHF simplex channels, and the nearest school is about an air mile away. I don't believe that I've been able to hear their channel from home, since I don't have an outside antenna.
The buses are on a UHF repeater.

John
Peoria, AZ
Sponsored links