Which Scanner has the DMR III?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR1000XLT

Hello, I saw the new Uniden SDS100 and wondered if it has the DMR III and if not which scanners do have it?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All Uniden scanners that do DMR trunk track Tier III DMR.

325P2, 996P2, 436HP, 536HP, and SDS100.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
DMR III is trunk tracked by Uniden Scanners below
BCD996P2
BCD436HP
BCD536HP
SDS100
DMR III is voice channel scanned by Whistler Scanners below
WS1080
WS1088
WS1090
WS1098
TRX-1
TRX-2

AOR1000XLT

BCD996P2
BCD436HP
BCD536HP
SDS100
WS1080
WS1088
WS1090
WS1098
TRX-1
TRX-2

What is the difference between voic channel and trunk tracked?

All Uniden scanners that do DMR trunk track Tier III DMR.

325P2, 996P2, 436HP, 536HP, and SDS100.

Thank you, btw which scanner is more advance, Whistler TRX1 or Uniden SDS100?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
SDS100, by a significant margin.

Trunk tracking uses the control channel of the system to follow a conversation, even if it changes voice channels every transmission (which can happen on a busy system). Voice channel scan just scans voice channels looking for traffic, and on a busy system you will get random snippets of conversations if there are multiple conversations going on at the same time.

So if there are two EMS incidents going on at the same time, you can choose which one to listen to with the Uniden. With the Whistler, you will hear random samples of both, whichever the scanner happens to hit on first after the previous user unkeys.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The Whistlers only scan voice channels on DMR and NXDN they do not follow the CONTROL CHANNEL DATA STREAM.
The Unidens track the CONTROL CHANNEL DATA STREAM on DMR and NXDN.
Both brands track the CONTROL CHANNEL DATA STREAM on P25.
That is why on the Whistlers you do not have to enter the LCN's on DMR or NXDN.
When the CONTROL CHANNEL sends out TG to channel 126 the Unidens go to channel 126 the Whistlers scan until it hears traffic.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
With the Whistler, you will hear random samples of both, whichever the scanner happens to hit on first after the previous user unkeys.
Or, you can program it as a trunked system and assign the proper talk groups. I've been DMR-listening since 12/2016 with the TRX-1 and have not had the issues you wrote about.

mciupa

BCD996P2
BCD436HP
BCD536HP
SDS100
WS1080
WS1088
WS1090
WS1098
TRX-1
TRX-2

Although, you wish to add that you must pay for a DMR upgrade on the Uniden products.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Will Robinson what we are typing was POSTED BY A WHISTLER REP as per the 1080's 1090's and the TRX's. I have owned and tested these also.

Okay Buddy, though I'm not sure what that has to do with what I quoted and replied to. I was merely stating I cannot reproduce the issues Jon had described, vis-à-vis random samples of traffic. I can see how it would be annoying, but I have not personally experienced it.

Best,

Wil

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Results vary based on how busy a system is.
3 channel with 2 users vs a 10 channel with hundreds of users. The Whistler will have a lot harder time passing the proper audio on the latter system.

I have 2 BCD436 and 1 WS01080 and monitor a medical helo on a busy Con Plus system.
Nights and weekends the WS does a better job following the helo dispatch channel. However the Uniden never misses a dispatch, even when the system is very busy. The WS has a hard time keeping up with the system as it gets busy.

So yea i can agree to what they are saying.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Will I still own and use my TRX's they have a place but they are not as efficient as my x36's or SDS I have said I hope Whistler will make their new SDR scanner better than the past. If so I will buy if not I will not buy as I am a fanboy of SCANNERS not brands. If you missed it I have $12,000.00 in scanners on my desk and that is after selling a 2096 96 and a 106.

Ubbe

Unidens trunk tracking needs a solid decode and if the signal is weak, or some other things happen with the control data decode, the call are not monitored and you have to wait until the system are scanned again and hope that it will catch it the second time around.

Whistler way of scanning voice channels are much more solid even under weak signal conditions and when a user stops talking it starts scanning all voice channels during a delay period to check if the same TG appears somewhere else. If it is a busy system with many voice channels it might take a while to check all voice channels for the correct TG and you might miss the first part of the transmission. Uniden lately started to incorporate multisite scanning so that when a user stops talking it starts to check all sites, that are enabled, control channels for the TG during the delay period. It takes a while doing that so you might miss the first part of a conversation.

/Ubbe

AOR1000XLT

Thank you all for the replies, I see that you need to pay extra fee for the SDS100 upgrades? How does that work?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden lately started to incorporate multisite scanning so that when a user stops talking it starts to check all sites, that are enabled, control channels for the TG during the delay period. It takes a while doing that so you might miss the first part of a conversation.

Wrong. Alternate sites are not scanned until the delay period is expired. The change affects behavior during a talkgroup hold while no traffic is active. Holding on a talkgroup will no longer stop the scanner from checking all sites within range. But when a transmission is active, the scanner will stay on the site with the transmission until the transmission is done and the delay period is expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.