Solar-powered rechargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

There are times when, due to storms or other disruptions, that the power can be out for a considerable amount of time. I was visiting Washington DC in late July 2012 when a powerful derecho storm knocked out the power for four days. In anticipation of future events, recently I bought a 300000mAh dual USB portable solar battery charger on eBay for $14.00.

Would this be adequate to keep a low wattage scanner model such as the Uniden BCD325P2 charged up?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
After reading the online specs 2 watt solar panel @ 5 volts the charging current is .4 amps (400 Mil) and it has a rechargeable battery and if the battery size is correct it would last about 20 times what your batteries in the scanner would last before running out of charge and would take weeks to recharge on solar power only.

wbswetnam

Thank you for the suggestions, Jon. They look like something to consider.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I bought a 300000mAh dual USB portable solar battery charger on eBay for $14.00.
300 amp hours is a straight out lie. 300 Ah times 3.7 volts is 1110 watt hours. That's a battery that occupies about 300 cubic inches and weighs over 15 pounds, so get your ruler and bathroom scale out.

Here's a real 1200 Wh lithium ion battery: New Product: E-Scooter Portable Battery Pack - JTT Electronics Ltd.

If what you bought looks anything like these units Clive has reviewed, it's going to be garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=big+clive+solar+power+bank

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
300 amp hours is a straight out lie. 300 Ah times 3.7 volts is 1110 watt hours. That's a battery that occupies about 300 cubic inches and weighs over 15 pounds, so get your ruler and bathroom scale out.

Here's a real 1200 Wh lithium ion battery: New Product: E-Scooter Portable Battery Pack - JTT Electronics Ltd.

If what you bought looks anything like these units Clive has reviewed, it's going to be garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=big+clive+solar+power+bank

It may be an additional zero, intentional or otherwise.

wbswetnam

My $14 'solar' USB charger arrived this afternoon... complete piece of junk. Very cheaply made, only vaguely resembles the product in the advertising photo.

DJ11DLN

My $14 'solar' USB charger arrived this afternoon... complete piece of junk. Very cheaply made, only vaguely resembles the product in the advertising photo.
If there's a way to get a refund I'd go for it...14 bucks is 14 bucks. I haven't eBay'd anything in several years so I don't know.

But sometimes you just have to try something to see if it's any good. Sometimes you get nicked, and sometimes you wind up with a good value. I've had both happen many times and no doubt will have both happen many more times in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.