Scanner Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan007s

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a scanner to monitor a few different states. I am service tech and do a lot of traveling. I am based out of Wilmington DE. My travel radius is about 100 miles covering DE, MD, PA, and NJ. I would like to be able to cover those areas. It has been a while since I owned a scanner. I do know all of DE has gone digital, and all of New Castle County Police agencies are encrypted, that's about it. What would be a good scanner for this application.

Thank you,

Ryan

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hello, I am service tech and do a lot of traveling.

Ryan

I'm in a similar situation. I can be in one area most of the day but at times, I'm required to travel far beyond my regular area.

I've settled on the Home Patrol line of Uniden scanners. These scanners have GPS capability and the RadioReference database is built in.

With GPS input and the database, I know when I'm sent into an area I don't regularly travel in, I'll still have something to listen to. Right now I'm using a BCD536HP with a small GPS module directly connected to the scanner. If you travel into an area with a lot of simulcast systems, you might want to wait until Uniden releases a mobile version of the SDS100.

There are other scanners such as the BC996P2 with GPS input but without the RadioReference database. This requires that you preload your scanner with frequencies before you travel. Not a big deal if your travel area is limited.

Whistler also offers scanners with the RadioReference database but without GPS input. Without the GPS input, you have to manually select systems as you drive.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Mobile Version?

I'm in a similar situation. I can be in one area most of the day but at times, I'm required to travel far beyond my regular area.

I've settled on the Home Patrol line of Uniden scanners. These scanners have GPS capability and the RadioReference database is built in.

With GPS input and the database, I know when I'm sent into an area I don't regularly travel in, I'll still have something to listen to. Right now I'm using a BCD536HP with a small GPS module directly connected to the scanner. If you travel into an area with a lot of simulcast systems, you might want to wait until Uniden releases a mobile version of the SDS100.

There are other scanners such as the BC996P2 with GPS input but without the RadioReference database. This requires that you preload your scanner with frequencies before you travel. Not a big deal if your travel area is limited.

Whistler also offers scanners with the RadioReference database but without GPS input. Without the GPS input, you have to manually select systems as you drive.

Please, understand, I've not had my first cup of coffee yet. I thought the SDS100 was portable. What do you mean by "mobile version?"

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Please, understand, I've not had my first cup of coffee yet. I thought the SDS100 was portable. What do you mean by "mobile version?"

Built into a DIN case and powered by 12VDC, instead of a walkie-talkie powered by an internal battery.

ryan007s

Thank you guys. Does anyone know if either the SDS100 or the BCD436HP can be charged while the gps unit is hooked up? I am probably going to be going with a portable scanner, as I will be using it in my personal truck, my work truck and on the go. Thanks

questnz

And before you pill the trigger on SDS100 you may want to search RR forums and read ALL reviews, comments, concerns etc on the scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Does anyone know if either the SDS100 or the BCD436HP can be charged while the gps unit is hooked up?

Yes with the SDS, no with the 436 unless it is modified. An unmodified 436 can be powered by USB while running, but cannot charge the batteries while turned on, regardless of whether GPS is connected.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden makes a GPS kit, and sells a cable for the SDS100.

I offer a rechargeable GPS unit that can connect to the scanner with a simpler cable setup than the Uniden kit.

I also install GPS modules inside the 436 and SDS100. This is more convenient because there is no external dongle or wiring, but it voids the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.