Flying with scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been asked several times, but I felt I needed to ask again for my own sake (probably just my anxiety), but what is the best way to fly with my scanner? I know not to use it in security areas and on the aircraft, but what is the rule of thumb for packing it through security? Remove the antenna or anything like that? Take it out with my laptop?

Any other advice to know?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Check with the airline or TSA web site.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
For what it's worth, I've often gone through airport security with a backpack full of portable radios, scanners, cables, etc. Sometimes the x-ray operator might pause the conveyor to take a longer look, but I've never been challenged or asked to power up the radios. I don't expect that you would have a problem.

- John AC4JK

I also fly for work and travel with my scanners, coax, mobile rigs, power supply and antennas. You will not have any issues passing through security. I haven't bothered bringing any type of larger batteries or Lithium ones. So I can't give my input on them.

Most of the times, the screener will make small talk and see what it is. Mostly be interested in your gear in a positive way.

I would suggest you don't be that guy that claims this equipment is for emergency communications, used for last resort, or use the equipment either at the terminal waiting for your flight or on board. You may freak someone out and they could report you. That's a hassle you don't want to deal with. Plus I'm sure you don't want to end up on YouTube. Lol

B_Mitchell

I went on a trip last month,
no trouble at all with security.
brought my 396xt and 436 with me.
The TSA agent at Portland, OR picked up my 436
and gave it a quick glace.

K9JLR

The experiences can vary at each individual airport or with different TSA agents. Some people have been asked to go thru an additional screening, whereby they will ask to swab your device and the bag. It's not unheard of to be required to prove the device is in working condition and can power on, make noise, etc., as well as being asked whether or not it can TX on aircraft frequencies.

I always have mine set to scan the NOAA WX radio frequencies if I am asked to power it on. In a previous thread a few years ago, I recall someone discussing why it was NOT the wisest idea to have it scanning TSA frequencies if you are asked to demonstrate that the radio powers on and can receive.

More than likely you won't have any ancillary issues.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I fly often and usually have a back pack full of scanners, two-ways, laptops, tablets and various chargers and accessories.

I have never been asked by TSA to turn on a radio or what they were for. Once a guy said "Wow, that is a lot of electronics" as he looked at the screen but never slowed down the process.

These guys see this stuff all day long and if they ask just tell them what it is. They are not prohibited so there will be no reason to deny them passage. They can always ask about it, swab them or further inspect them but there is no reason to worry about getting thru security with them.

I do concur with K9JLR, it probably is a better idea to tune in the local weather channel than the TSA channel if you need to turn the radio on for them, that is just plain common sense.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
I never took my scanner flying but I did take it (Pro-43) to Pittsburgh Airport to listen to the planes while I was helping a friend of my mother's board a plane. Security spotted it and told me to turn it on after I told them it was a scanner and I'm an amateur radio operator. I tuned in the local tower and NOAA radio and they were satisifed. However, on a side note, my mother's friend, not always the brightest bulb in the pack, well, as I was putting on her huge suitcase to be weighed by the ticket taker, she blurte out, "here in my old *bomb!*" The ticket agents eyes got as big as a deer in headlights and I'm sure mine did too and I quickly responded to my mother;s friend, "that is a very poor choice of words there" and the ticket agent agreed with me. Luckily I was able to BS my way out of that one but that was the summer of 2000, a year before 9-11, if it was after, I would hate to see what would have happened. I really doubt the TSA would charge me or her with anything but to make their point, I'm sure they would detain us or a couple of hours and give her a good talking to. IIRC, even in the early 1970's, there was a story where Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates made a joke about a bomb while on a plane waiting for takeoff, he was removed and questions for a couple of hours and then had to take the next flight out.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Thursday, somewhere in rural Alaska.

(The TRX stayed in my carryon for most of this trip but I pulled it out for demo purposes). A friend makes the custom antenna mounts.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1837443866.jpg
    Snapchat-1837443866.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Snapchat-360775129.jpg
    Snapchat-360775129.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 221

Bronty

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been asked several times, but I felt I needed to ask again for my own sake (probably just my anxiety), but what is the best way to fly with my scanner? I know not to use it in security areas and on the aircraft, but what is the rule of thumb for packing it through security? Remove the antenna or anything like that? Take it out with my laptop?

Any other advice to know?

I travel a ton and always bring a scanner with me. I’ve passed though TSA hundreds of times and never had a problem with a scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I travel a ton and always bring a scanner with me. I’ve passed though TSA hundreds of times and never had a problem with a scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have never had a problem either but recommend that one be able to demonstrate it is a radio receiver by receiving NOAA weather if needed.

Stavro35

I traveled from Seatac to Atlanta last July. I took one scanner with me, in my carry on bag. No one asked me about it, at all. I kept it in my bag, during both flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.