WS1065 Signal Confusion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my WS1065 set up for a 800Mhz trunking P25 radio system. They have a 10 tower set up and have like 95% coverage. They also have 10 freq. They use with the trunking. I live slightly over into the next county but cant hear any of their frequencies. It seems like when I simply get about half a mile from their county line i start hearing them perfectly. There are no mountains and they actually have a tower in my county on a ridge because their county cuts into mine at a weird angle. I'm not sure why I cant hear them. I'm not too familiar with.all the settings or what I need to do to fix it. Also right now I'm using the stock antenna but they patch their digital fire to an old analog channel and that's on 1 tower thats very far away from me in their city and I hear that crystal clear on my portable yet I cant hear their P25 trunking 10 tower site system unless I'm within around half a mile of their county line.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
As mentioned all scanners minus the new Uniden sds100 struggle on simulcasts, Unidens do better. All current whistlers are especially terrible to say the least on simulcast systems. My comment about two nearby four tower systems, let alone an even worse ten tower system for you. I mentioned the old radio shack pro 651-652 line which were just rebranded ws1040-ws1065's. If anyone asks me what scanner to get in simulcast areas I recommend Unidens.
Http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...t-receive-wv-sirn-ohio-marcs.html#post2570832

Read the entire thread for ideas, there are VERY MANY threads on simulcast issues, as mentioned at the link try the papercip antenna method. Idea is to lessen reception so you won't get as many towers.

I kept seeing things about "yagi directional antennas" Since I live a county over and they have a tower in my county in a completely opposite direction than their county from my house would that be a solution. All the scanners that can cope with that are 400 plus hundred dollars. I love scanning but not intresting that kind of money spending haha

This is a rough location of all their towers and my house is in the red area. In pretty far away from all the other towersother than that one I can see from my house from my roof. Would a directional antenna be a good solution for my situation

Attachments

• 20180721_114303.jpg
    20180721_114303.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 201

Ubbe

Step outside with your scanner and block the antennas view to south-west with anything metal, a frying pan, kettle lid, baking sheet or aluminum foil and check if that works as you then only would receive that single site.

/Ubbe

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned all scanners minus the new Uniden sds100 struggle on simulcasts, Unidens do better. All current whistlers are especially terrible to say the least on simulcast systems. My comment about two nearby four tower systems, let alone an even worse ten tower system for you. I mentioned the old radio shack pro 651-652 line which were just rebranded ws1040-ws1065's. If anyone asks me what scanner to get in simulcast areas I recommend Unidens.
Http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...t-receive-wv-sirn-ohio-marcs.html#post2570832

Read the entire thread for ideas, there are VERY MANY threads on simulcast issues, as mentioned at the link try the papercip antenna method. Idea is to lessen reception so you won't get as many towers.

All three of my GRE/Whistler scanners work well on my county's simulcast system, including an old Pro 106. I have used them when traveling and also experienced little trouble. Too bad you are so narrow minded and done your homework or be willing to try something different.

I went to the tower site that's closest to me. I heard them perfectly. I guess at my house there is too much of an echo from all other 10 towers. So I guess I'll be get a yagi directional antenna and pointing at that tower and that should solve all my issues. Is my thinking correct?

cmdrwill

First TRY the method that Ubbe mentions before spending a lot of money on a "directional" antenna. Yagi antennas do not have a good rejection of signals from the sides. You need to shield your scanner from the other towers.

" block the antennas view to south-west with anything metal,"

slicerwizard

A simple dipole antenna (TV "rabbit ears" style) would probably be enough to solve your problem. The nulls off the sides can be used to attenuate the signals to the southwest, leaving just the site to the northwest.

An issue I have ran into is that I can't pick them up at all from my house even on a roof antenna. No (T) for the control channel or any blips or anything. Could this be a dead spot or is my scanner just having bad reception with all the other towers? Would a yagi magically let the signal start coming in?

T-Santon

A yagi could be helpful in your situation (although a corner reflector or parabolic antenna would be more suitable for the job). You'll also want to find a good "sweet spot" to place the antenna as well... But even then, it's not 100% guaranteed to work (it all depends on how well you can 'null' out those other tower sites).

I deal with a similar situation at my location. What really hurts me is that the neighboring county has several towers up along the same ridge; all line-of-sight. Even when using a yagi, my Pro-651 (a WS-1065 clone) just can't overcome it. All of my other scanners also struggle with it. Eventually I plan on just homebrewing together a cheap corner reflector antenna, and finding the spot in the attic that it likes best. That should work much better than a yagi in this situation.

However, if you're really feeling adventurous; you can always just buy a 20 dollar RTL-SDR dongle, throw Ubuntu Linux onto your computer, and install OP25. That will certainly solve your simulcast issues. (It's not an easy thing to learn, but the payoff is totally worth it)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.