Any harm doing this to a portable antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racing1

Will it affect my scanners performance if I turn the antenna above the bnc connector?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It probably won't hurt anything, but there's no benefit, either.

racing1

It probably won't hurt anything, but there's no benefit, either.
Ok because today I notice a lower signal strength and higher RSSI #'s today in the same stationary location. I want sure if I broke the antenna on the inside or not.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Ok because today I notice a lower signal strength and higher RSSI #'s today in the same stationary location. I want sure if I broke the antenna on the inside or not.

There may be other conditions beyond your control contributing to the signal strength variation.

racing1

There may be other conditions beyond your control contributing to the signal strength variation.
How do I know if it's the current conditions that are affecting the scanner or the antenna? When I go to analyze,enter the system name and choose my site,I get low activity and signal levels but I get excellent on the quality meter.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If you're monitoring an 800 MHz system, weather and wind-blown foliage can impact the received signal. Other conditions can also affect the signal strength, but may not change as frequently as the weather. You say that the analyze function shows an excellent quality level. That functions displays the quality of the digital decoding. With a simulcast system, you could have a lower signal level with a high decode quality, and you'd be in good shape. The only way to know for sure if you've damaged your antenna is to try another antenna to see if there's any change in signal levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.