850 mhz scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge47

I have a Pro 106 and 146 that do a great job hearing Collin County Texas analog 850 trunked system. Yeah I know they are old just like me. However they are too fragile to wear outside in my work. They r all i can afford. Is there a small handheld/belt clip 850 mhz trunking scanner near the size of a VX 231 ? Close to the cost of a Pro 106, that is much stuedier ?
Thanks in Advance

Nasby

Maybe you could get durable protective carrying cases for them?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro 106 and 146 that do a great job hearing Collin County Texas analog 850 trunked system. Yeah I know they are old just like me. However they are too fragile to wear outside in my work. They r all i can afford. Is there a small handheld/belt clip 850 mhz trunking scanner near the size of a VX 231 ? Close to the cost of a Pro 106, that is much stuedier ?
Thanks in Advance
You're not likely to find something close to the current cost of the Pro-106 that will work. The current equivalent model is the Radio Shack Pro-651, or the Whistler WS1040 (Whistler makes the 651). Used costs for these on eBay range from $150 (a Pro-106) to $250 for more current models.

Before you buy anything, remember that Collin County will be transitioning from their current analog system over to the PAWM (Plano & other cities) system, and using P25 Phase II. Phase II is beyond the capability of the Pro-106, as well as the other related models.

I suspect your best bet would be to try & find a good condition PSR-800 or Pro-668, used cost from about $250.00. The current equivalent model from Whistler is the WS1088 (the difference between the 1088 & it's predecessor, WS1080, is that the WS1088 has a numeric keypad). I saw one WS1088 on eBay for $240, but most listings are $100 higher or more. These are P25 Phase II capable scanners.

The most compact Uniden scanner, capable of P25 Phase II, is the BCD325P2. It's a small, hand friendly, size. There are several pre-owned units on eBay ranging from $225 to over $300. New, on Amazon, is just under $360.00.

byndhlptom

handheld scanner

If my memory serves .....

if the 106 is receiving what you want....

the Pro-96 is the handheld version of the 106, same programming, same controls....

$.02

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The PRO96 is a totally different scanner than the RS106 and programming was changed in the 106.....

Sarge47

Yep, my age is showing again. I forgot to post that I only need to listen to ColCo Volunteer FDs. Farmersville,Anna,Melissa,Westminster,Princeton and Blue Ridge. I am told by 2 of these depts that they all will not be able to buy the new p25 p2 radios and grants will be hard to come by. I hope this means that these depts will stay on analog. How about the Chinese radios, will any of them listen to analog 850 mhz ?
Thanks in advance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yep, my age is showing again. I forgot to post that I only need to listen to ColCo Volunteer FDs. Farmersville,Anna,Melissa,Westminster,Princeton and Blue Ridge. I am told by 2 of these depts that they all will not be able to buy the new p25 p2 radios and grants will be hard to come by. I hope this means that these depts will stay on analog. How about the Chinese radios, will any of them listen to analog 850 mhz ?
Thanks in advance.
The analog trunked system will be going away once the move to the Plano system is done.

If, for whatever reason, the smaller departments do not make the move to P25 Phase II, then their only option would be to use conventional (not trunked) frequencies. That would still allow you to use your existing scanner, as long as they use non-trunked frequencies. If the county now handles their dispatching on the analog trunked system, they may have to make other arrangements once the move to Phase II is done, unless the county offers a conventional frequency option.

Status
Not open for further replies.