Uniden BC436HP or Whistler TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I want to ask the scanning community for input on which scanner I should by for my needs.
I had a Whistler TRX-1 for while in the past but sold it to fund other hobbies so I am quite familiar with the user interface. While looking around, I stumbled upon the Uniden BC436HP. So now that it has come time to invest in a scanner once again, which one should I go for?

My needs/criteria (these are things that I know the TRX-1 can do, so this is actually me wanting to know if the Uniden can do the same)
Needs to be able to:
-decode/ track/ receive as many frequencies and system types as possible. (I am aware of Uniden paid upgrades, so assume all are applied on the scanner in question)
-record scanned transmissions
-perform a service search
-record service searches
-decode CTCSS/DCS tones.

The display needs to have as much information as possible. PL/DPL tones, TG ID, Radio ID, etc.

How do the UIs compare to each other? Which hardware has better RX capability? What are the shortcomings and strengths of each, if any?

Thank you

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 will do all of that, plus it can use GPS to automatically scan nearby systems and channels, even dynamically switching things on and off while traveling. You can go anywhere in the USA or Canada and hear local traffic, without having to touch the scanner.

The SDS100 adds the ability to properly receive simulcast systems, a feature not offered by any other scanner currently available.

budevans

Everything you have in your My needs/criteria list, you can do with both scanners. The biggest hurdle is the programming software. Each scanner takes different approaches regarding the data layout.

Here's my list of the key differences:

Whistler TRX-1: Straight forward programming software, easy to learn even for novices.
The display is bright with very good text contrast and is very easy to read.
The audio in quiet locations is very clear and natural sounding. The AGC is very affective. But, because of a very small speaker it does not have a good dynamic range. Earbuds or an external speaker is a good idea. Battery life, is very good. I get between 9 to 10 hours per charge with Nimh batteries.
Overall, the audio, display readability and battery life of the TRX-1 are superior to the Uniden 436.

Uniden 436: The programming software offers a very wide variety of ways to setup your scanner. For new users it can be daunting. However, once you learn the basics you're good to go.
The layout of the display puts a lot of good information on the screen. But, the overall viewability is not good. It is poorly lit and also has poor contrast. Which can make it tough to read whether you are inside or outside.
The audio in quiet locations is clear with a somewhat bassy sound to it. The AGC is not affective. Which creates issues when radio traffic on a channel is at different levels. Some traffic is too soft to hear, others so loud it splatters. This radio also has a very small speaker, so it does not have a good dynamic range. Earbuds or an external speaker is a good idea.
Battery life, I rate as poor. At best I can sometimes get 8 hours. Usually it's less than 8.
The Uniden 436 strength is the wide variety of programming options and it's ability to be connected to a GPS to allow it to load programming based on your location.

So that's my comparison of the TRX-1 vs BCD436HP.

One side note. There is another Uniden scanner you could consider. It is brand new and is more expensive than the TRX-1 or BCD436HP. The SDS-100. It is everything the BCD436HP could have been and more. The more is, the SDS-100 is able to properly decode P25 LSM transmission. Something the TRX-1 or the BCD436HP cannot do. The SDS-100 also has a full color screen with a user configurable layout. It's easy on the eye's. Plus it has a new type of battery that offers longer life than the BCD436HP.

Just something you might want to consider.

CrabbyMilton

I have had a 436 for a month now and I love it.
It will take a while to get the hang of it but once you do it’s a lot of fun. I still have to refer to the manual from time to time but hey, we are here to help too.
I must respectfully disagree with the battery life.
Compared to my old 250D, this thing is wonderful and you use regular AA types with the options for disposables or the ac adapter.
Also while the data base is great for getting you started,
I find it more enjoyable to program it my way and turn the full data base off.
Perhaps it’s just the old timer in me but I find it speeds up the scanning and you avoid the systems you don’t care about.

DJ11DLN

Everything you have in your My needs/criteria list, you can do with both scanners. The biggest hurdle is the programming software. Each scanner takes different approaches regarding the data layout.

Here's my list of the key differences:

Whistler TRX-1: Straight forward programming software, easy to learn even for novices.
The display is bright with very good text contrast and is very easy to read.
The audio in quiet locations is very clear and natural sounding. The AGC is very affective. But, because of a very small speaker it does not have a good dynamic range. Earbuds or an external speaker is a good idea. Battery life, is very good. I get between 9 to 10 hours per charge with Nimh batteries.
Overall, the audio, display readability and battery life of the TRX-1 are superior to the Uniden 436.

Uniden 436: The programming software offers a very wide variety of ways to setup your scanner. For new users it can be daunting. However, once you learn the basics you're good to go.
The layout of the display puts a lot of good information on the screen. But, the overall viewability is not good. It is poorly lit and also has poor contrast. Which can make it tough to read whether you are inside or outside.
The audio in quiet locations is clear with a somewhat bassy sound to it. The AGC is not affective. Which creates issues when radio traffic on a channel is at different levels. Some traffic is too soft to hear, others so loud it splatters. This radio also has a very small speaker, so it does not have a good dynamic range. Earbuds or an external speaker is a good idea.
Battery life, I rate as poor. At best I can sometimes get 8 hours. Usually it's less than 8.
The Uniden 436 strength is the wide variety of programming options and it's ability to be connected to a GPS to allow it to load programming based on your location.

So that's my comparison of the TRX-1 vs BCD436HP.

One side note. There is another Uniden scanner you could consider. It is brand new and is more expensive than the TRX-1 or BCD436HP. The SDS-100. It is everything the BCD436HP could have been and more. The more is, the SDS-100 is able to properly decode P25 LSM transmission. Something the TRX-1 or the BCD436HP cannot do. The SDS-100 also has a full color screen with a user configurable layout. It's easy on the eye's. Plus it has a new type of battery that offers longer life than the BCD436HP.

Just something you might want to consider.
+1 pretty much across the board on your 436 thoughts. I don't have a TRX-1 but my two upgraded-from-RS-types WS-1080s are similar in most respects to your TRX-1 observations.

If not for the GPS, I'd ditch the 436. But it may be just what the OP needs. Great thing about this board, plenty of people with real-world experience on these radios will chime in and help provide the info for that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.