scanner with plug n play DISC TAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
when i search discriminator tap i get information on mods.

ive looked at the RR page on Radio shack scanners, but it doesnt show if they have factory disc traps, or if they are even capable of it.

im looking for a few scanners that are ready to go from the factory with a 1/8 mono port that works for discriminator tap output. i know the radio shack 668 is PnP but thats more than i want to spend right now if other less fancy scanners are out there.

my time is limited, thats why im looking for plug n play. i would also be interested in any scanners that are quick and easy to mod the disc tap

Ubbe

Whistlers TRX scanners have IF out to the earphone jack, which is more or less a discriminator tap. Maybe there are other more basic models from Whistler that also has IF out.

/Ubbe

N8IAA

GRE PSR800, Whistler 1080/1095, and the Whistler 1088.
All do taps through their earphone jack. Accessed through the MENU.

Larry

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
1 second search on Ebay here ya go.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Discriminator Tap&ssPageName=GSTL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I did search ebay and found those, but they are way more $$ than what Im looking for, so i didnt bother putting it in the Original post.

it may be that there are hardly any cheap older scanners with the tap easily accessible from an earphone jack. i was hoping there was maybe an older analog only scanner that could be found between 30-50 on ebay that just happened to have this option. i should have specified the cheap factor in the Original post

Ubbe

For $30-50 the owner of the scanner probably thinks that he maybe will find a use for it in the future rather than going thru the hassle of almost giving it away on Ebay. You will probably never find a scanner at that price when someone have put hours of work into a discriminator tap.

Look for any old big cased base scanners that have mostly big components and almost everyone will have a description on the net how to make a disk tap. You don't need to drill holes, just use a thin cable out of the chassi where there are a crack in the case or bend the lid to make room. Maybe removing a connector to use that hole if no other solution are possible.

/Ubbe

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Depending on what you are trying to decode, a $20 RTLSDR dongle is the way to go if you ask me. Discriminator taps are rapidly becoming a relic of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.