Best laptop for Sentinel, EZ Scan,Pro96Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Looking at getting a laptop since I can’t take my desktop with me on trips and use it while mobile. What I want to know is what is the best laptop if I’m using Uniden Sentinel, EZ scan, Pro96Com and of course just for a regular computer. Obviously I know it’s gotta have Windows, don’t really feel like getting an Apple and having to do compatibility and such. If so what does everyone recommend. Looking to spend under $900. Have looked at HP and Chromebooks so far and haven’t looked into the models in depth

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have an Acer with a 10" display that I use almost exclusively for programming. A fully-charged battery will last 6-8 hours. I have used it for almost 10 years. There are several programs on it used for programming everything from HP1 & 2, 436, SDS100, TK-7160, VX-6, VX-3, FT-8900 and more. Not all of the radios are mine. Some are in the city's mobile command vehicle (see avatar) where I serve as communications officer.

I have never, ever had a problem with the computer. It's small and serves me well,

(For those that know what it is, I also use a similar Acer to operate the Raytheon ACU-1000 in the command vehicle.)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Looking at getting a laptop since I can’t take my desktop with me on trips and use it while mobile. What I want to know is what is the best laptop if I’m using Uniden Sentinel, EZ scan, Pro96Com and of course just for a regular computer. Obviously I know it’s gotta have Windows, don’t really feel like getting an Apple and having to do compatibility and such. If so what does everyone recommend. Looking to spend under $900. Have looked at HP and Chromebooks so far and haven’t looked into the models in depth

I use a MacBook with Windows in a virtual machine a lot of the time, but a second-hand Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 for all my programming needs. Works like a charm, and I only paid $150 for it on eBay in very good condition. It came out of public safety service, but it's so clean it must have been in an administrator's car, as it doesn't seem to have the usual detritus (coffee spills, donut crumbs, prisoner spit, etc) one finds when it's been in a police cruiser getting used and abused 24/7/365.

I converted it to use a solid state drive instead of a traditional hard drive; runs Windows 7 32-bit with no trouble at all and power consumption is considerably less.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Laptop

Unless things have changed drastically, a Chromebook does not run many programs directly from the hard drive. They are internet based, and have a limited ability to run installed software. The OS is not Windows based, which also eliminates them from your choices. I have a Lenovo Ideapad that runs 64 bit Windows from the returned computers at Best Buy for $55.00 that works great. Be careful of any of the smaller computers that use an emmc hard drive. Without a separate memory card, their 32GB will barely have room for any applications or storage.

DJ11DLN

My $0.02 is look for a Windows 7 laptop, regardless of what the other specs are on it. Windows 10 likes to update some of the drivers that work for your scanners to the "improved" ones that don't, mainly for the Whistler scanners. Then you have to go through the hassle of reloading the correct drivers. If you're programming directly to the card it's a non-issue...but sooner or later you have to do a firmware/DSP update and at that point it becomes a PITA. You can still get refurb'd Windows 7 laptops with a full warranty.

Other than that, so long as you like it, whatever laptop you choose ought to do the trick.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
My $0.02 is look for a Windows 7 laptop, regardless of what the other specs are on it. Windows 10 likes to update some of the drivers that work for your scanners to the "improved" ones that don't, mainly for the Whistler scanners. Then you have to go through the hassle of reloading the correct drivers. If you're programming directly to the card it's a non-issue...but sooner or later you have to do a firmware/DSP update and at that point it becomes a PITA. You can still get refurb'd Windows 7 laptops with a full warranty.

Other than that, so long as you like it, whatever laptop you choose ought to do the trick.

If I’m not mistaken, my desktop has Windows 10 on it and I haven’t had any problems with my 1088

DJ11DLN

If I’m not mistaken, my desktop has Windows 10 on it and I haven’t had any problems with my 1088

I'm glad that you haven't. I and many others have had to deal with this. "Windows 10 driver issue" will get you a load of search results.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Laptop

I have a large collection of hand held radios and actually use everything from DOS 5 to 64 bit Windows 10, including XP, and Win 7. Just be aware that older versions have or soon will be no longer supported by MS, and internet security will be even more hazardous on those machines. I use a Win 7 laptop for older software that no longer has updates and a 15 year old DOS machine for serial port cables on my oldest radios.

n5ims

Just get a laptop that runs real a Windows OS (7, 8, or 10). Since you're already comfortable with 10, that would probably be your best choice (also would be easiest to find). The software you mention don't require much horsepower so it can be a pretty low end model (unless you plan to use it for more than just the scanner stuff). Stay away from chromebooks (they don't use Windows and are mostly for surfing the web and a few apps written for them) and Mac based laptops (you'll have to do things that may be complicated to get it to run Windows and you don't need that hassle).

Make sure it has a couple of USB ports so you can easily plug in your cables while still using an external mouse if desired. This next one will be a bit of a stretch, but if you can find one with a real RS-232 serial port that would be a plus, just so you can plug in older cables if you find a deal on an old scanner.

I'd stay away from XP based machines since Microsoft and other companies no longer support it so any issues will be yours to resolve on your own and you'll not be able to update your OS to prevent any newer attacks from hitting your machine. Windows 7 is almost at that state as well so you may want to avoid that version as well (especially since you're already use to 10).

marksmith

You don't need much computing power. The best Windows version I have found for compatibility with scanner drivers and software is Windows 7

So any cheap win7 portable will do. Lots for under $300

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I think I've narrowed it down to some newer units, the bigger screen was a must have for me, one of my personal faves was the HP 17.3 with Intel Pentium, 8GB Memory with a 1TB hard drive, also being cause I'll be doing some school and tax info on it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you're gonna use it for other stuff, that's probably a pretty good choice. If you were gonna use it just for programming, it would be an overkill. I prefer AMD processors but that's for discussion somewhere else.

All I use my little 10" Acer for is programming. It's too small for just about anything else (except maybe solitaire).

Status
Not open for further replies.