RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Control Head Scanning Options?

I just purchased a new truck, and my PRO-2055 is not gonna fit. Is the TRX-2 the only option for new-production scanners that feature a remote control head? I dont think Unidentifiable makes one anymore?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2018, 6:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Uniden has remote control via wireless dongle for their BCD536hp. I don't have direct experience with that but it's an option. You need a tablet or an old smart phone that can connect to the dongle. There are also some various control software apps out there that will allow some other scanners to be connected wirelessly, but that requires more hardware. The only turn-key solution will be the TRX-2/WS-1098/1095 series, they come with everything you need to remote the head and except for having to run an external speaker (the speaker is in the main unit) you can do it all out of one box.
Old 09-12-2018, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You can leave it home with this.

TRX Android Suite
Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you for your replies. I seemed to recall back in the day that Uniden once made a remote control head as an aftermarket accessory, but those days are long past.

A TRX-2 it is, and gee, I thought my PSR-600 was complicated! I hope the RF performance isn't any worse, but that's a topic for the Whistler forum.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progline View Post
Thank you for your replies. I seemed to recall back in the day that Uniden once made a remote control head as an aftermarket accessory, but those days are long past.

A TRX-2 it is, and gee, I thought my PSR-600 was complicated! I hope the RF performance isn't any worse, but that's a topic for the Whistler forum.
Not sure what program you use for your 600 but I have a Pro-197 and if anything I find E-Z Scan even more straightforward and intuitive than even Win500. YMMV...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've never heard of EZ-Scan, I've used Win500....and the Starrsoft line of programs going back to Win92....
Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

E-Z Scan is what comes with the TRX-2. There aren't any other options. It's a little more basic than Win500 but on the other hand it's easier to figure out. The good news is that you don't need to keep a RR Premium Membership, access to the database comes with the radio & the software.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Why not use the entire Uniden HP2 scanner as a instrument panel mounted scanner?