How to pick the best frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

I have always just programmed in all of the local frequencies in my old Pro 43 scanner for the police, HP, fire and others to cover all of the bases but I have a new Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ radio and I want to monitor some of these as well with it but I do not want to load it down with frequencies that are rarely used. How can I know which ones are the most frequently used out of the ones listed here in the RadioReference listings? Thanks!

pb_lonny

This is where your own monitoring is vital. Only you know what is the most active in your area.

I have a custom database I wrote for this purpose. Google FreqLogITx

graywoulf

Thank you for the information. I was hoping that the frequency listing had some kind of tags or indicators that I did not know about.

S

simpilo

I take scanning as a adventure. I program anything under the sun then keep the frequencies with the best traffic and delete the rest. I also keep in mind these agencies must keep their radio etiquette professional with that said nothing saying they won't have a sense of humor about them once in a while.Like Airport Shuttle on the local EDACS analogue talk group at KOKC airport. The Embark bus system here has a few characters as well. They deserve a Grammy if there was one for this.

graywoulf

I used to look at scanning that way years ago when I lived in a big city. Now that I am in a very small town atmosphere, it is not so entertaining. I don't have the luxury of monitoring many different services and businesses as I once did. One of my favorites was fast food drive throughs. Mundane for the most part but it could get to be quite funny at times. And then there was a time when I monitored FRS that was used at places like Walmart. I could carry my FRS radio along and mess with them a bit once in a while. I never created any havoc of any kind but I think I kept them guessing at what was happening at times.

So, I guess I will follow your footsteps and just enter all of the local frequencies and keep a log of the active ones and delete the rest. Thanks for your input.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And then there was a time when I monitored FRS that was used at places like Walmart. I could carry my FRS radio along and mess with them a bit once in a while. I never created any havoc of any kind but I think I kept them guessing at what was happening at times.

And one wonders why some businesses and LE agencies encrypt or try to hide their frequencies.

graywoulf

And one wonders why some businesses and LE agencies encrypt or try to hide their frequencies.
I can certainly understand your comment. However, as I said, I never interfered with their operations nor caused any problems of any kind. I only did it a couple of times and it was a public non regulated frequency as well. I could have just as well been screwing with just anybody. I did nothing with malicious intent I assure you. and that was like 25 years ago. Nuff said.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I can certainly understand your comment. However, as I said, I never interfered with their operations nor caused any problems of any kind. I only did it a couple of times and it was a public non regulated frequency as well. I could have just as well been screwing with just anybody. I did nothing with malicious intent I assure you. and that was like 25 years ago. Nuff said.

All frequencies are regulated.

Just so you know, "screwing" with anybody else's transmissions is illegal, regardless of the frequency.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I would simply choose the frequencies based on your own listening experience in your area, as well as advice from others in you state forum. Maybe there is someone local who is more familiar than you are that can tell you which channels to not bother with.

Status
Not open for further replies.