A Dreamy Uniden SDR dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

I wouldn't know how to even start with this dreamy Uniden SDR. Now that Uniden has proven their ability to work with ADC and FPGA's maybe it's time they jump on the bandwagon with with RTL-SDR, HackRF, Perseus, SDRPlay, Airspy, Elonics, etc.

We already have RTL-SDR dongles why do I want a Uniden SDR? Because Uniden has proven itself with the SDS-100. I believe Uniden can make a dongle that only needs 1 dongle with open source software everyone with the skill can help improve on it. That 1 single dongle can do ALL trunking technologies out there possible. Software defined radio is growing. Uniden needs to be in there knees deep!.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I don't see how that would be a good business decision for them. The SDR dongle market is already saturated, and Uniden scanners are pretty good niche products. Being successful at one thing doesn't guarantee success at another.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I agree with zz on this.. don't see a reason short of complete failure to replace my RSP-1a..or even my handful of cheapo RTL-SDR sticks.. No matter who's brand is on them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S

simpilo

If Uniden plays their cards right they can make it happen. Uniden handhelds, base, and mobile products are good that I agree. Why not make a powerful little dongle that has the ability to trunk without need for a second dongle? Yes I know there is a way that Unitrunker can monitor a system as long as that system's frequencies are within the bandwidth (max 2.4msps aka 2,4MHZ) of the RTL-SDR. But not all systems are equal. I live in a area with 3 sites with 4MHZ of frequency each. That's outside the limits of the dongle. Besides that Unitrunker would only allow trunking on 1 dongle at 1.000msps.

Let's be fair here. I believe Uniden has the know how and the marketing ability to see what they can do to help improve the for full time SDR users. I am one who doesn't own any Uniden products but have in the past. The mid 1990's past. Good equipment back then. If you feel like its not going to work doesn't mean it's not going to work. The niche is growing.

A trunking dongle would include ALL trunking technology. Exclusive software but using windows drivers without creating a third party driver. 12 to 16 bit ADC. Well filtered. A little dongle would be more economical to make because less materials used at the micro SMT level. Uniden will have to make their own design.

Take apart my idea all you want. At the end of the day radio is radio no matter how it's being demodulated. Uniden can do it. Scanning is niche as a whole no matter the radio tech used. Lets show we can be a little more diversified and let Uniden make it happen if Uniden feels like the demand is enough.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If Uniden plays their cards right they can make it happen. Uniden handhelds, base, and mobile products are good that I agree. Why not make a powerful little dongle that has the ability to trunk without need for a second dongle?

Perhaps you're not clear with the concept of SDR. Software Define Radio. The powerful little dongles already exist. It's the software that does all the work. The RTL-SDR is not the only game in town.

Yes I know there is a way that Unitrunker can monitor a system as long as that system's frequencies are within the bandwidth (max 2.4msps aka 2,4MHZ) of the RTL-SDR.

What's your budget? There's SDR devices out there with bandwidths up to 1200 MHz. That is, if you have a few kilobucks to spend. But 20 MHz or so is quite affordable.

A trunking dongle would include ALL trunking technology. Exclusive software but using windows drivers without creating a third party driver. 12 to 16 bit ADC. Well filtered. A little dongle would be more economical to make because less materials used at the micro SMT level. Uniden will have to make their own design.

Again, why? It's already being done. The market is full of SDR devices that will do what you want. Just add software.

Google SDR roundup. It'll lead you to an interesting page with a sample of what's out there. The world is bigger than RTL-SDR.

Lets show we can be a little more diversified and let Uniden make it happen if Uniden feels like the demand is enough.

They did. It's the SDS100.

S

simpilo

It really doesn't matter what already exists. You apparently are set off at the idea. Tennelec released the MCP-1 back in 1976 the first programmable scanner. Scanners where here before Uniden started making them. The scanning receiver market back then was saturated through the 1980's. Like I said. It doesn't matter what idea already exists. I'll add it doesn't matter if the market is already saturated or not.

I think a Uniden SDR dongle would be great!

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It really doesn't matter what already exists. You apparently are set off at the idea.

It's not so much that I'm not wild about the idea, I don't think it would be profitable for Uniden. There's a lot of competition already. Unless Uniden makes their own chip set, they wouldn't be doing something others already are.

S

simpilo

It's not so much that I'm not wild about the idea, I don't think it would be profitable for Uniden. There's a lot of competition already. Unless Uniden makes their own chip set, they wouldn't be doing something others already are.

I hope that they would make their own chipset. I agree. As far as profitable I think their was doubts when Uniden added scanning receivers to their product profile when they first took a dive into it. They where making Citizen's Band radios at the time and still are.

I think their own chipset would answer the need of needing 2-SDR's with less current consumption. Better Signal to Noise ratio, lower noise floor. They would also have to add a very effective USB noise filter. Actually there is better profit with a SDR dongle because less materials are used means less money spent mass producing them.

You say 'what others already are doing' isn't much to go on because like I said Uniden came along while programmable scanning receivers where already what someone else was doing.

I'll even go further. SDS100 is at its core a stand alone SDR receiver. It doesn't require a computer to operate it but it will interface with a computer to use it Guess who already was making them? take a look
CommRadio div. AeroStream Communication CR-1, CR-1a Wide Range Receivers

and
FDM-DUOr (Receiver only): ecom ELAD Usa Inc.

Those SDR receviers and the SDS100 at their core are stand alone SDR receivers.

Last edited:

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
simpilo - that Would be a Wrong move for Uniden , their SDS100 is both a Superhet scanner and it has a SDR chipset. Its been proven in the ICOM and AOR receivers as well that Combining Superhet and SDR is SUPERIOR to any other method including PC based SDR dongles.
Uniden and Whistler can still improve their Scanners further by.
#1 including HF reception as well as all the Reception modes.
#2 making the Scanners Continious Coverage (minus Cellular) and all Amatuer Radio modes including Digital radio modes. 30 KHz - 5.5Ghz continuous.
#3 including a Ferrite Bar AM antenna for superior AM reception.
#4 FM Stereo decoding and playback.
#5 have Two or More VFO for receiving Two or more channel at the same time.
and recording of Two or more channels of audio.
#6 including Built in GPS - ICOM and AOR already do this. who uses a GPS cable in 2018 ?
#7 including Bluetooth audio - ICOM and AOR also do this.
SDR Dongle alone (custom or TV dongle) are pretty poor performance and even worse Antennas. plus you need software to operate SDR, furthermore Uniden doesn't OWN the SDR chipset they are using, they did NOT create it, they only Licensed the SDR chipset similar to what ICOM and AOR did with their receivers. and unlike SDR dongle, the SDR in Scanner/Receivers cannot receive Cellular Transmissions, its Permamently locked out, whereas a SDR dongle can receive Cellular no problem , but is Highly Illegal to do.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
simpilo - you do realize that Scanners and Receivers in America cannot receive Cellular transmissions, If Uniden/Whistler would use an open SDR then the Scanner/Receiver would again receive Cellular , which means NO FCC certification. and NO Scanner or Receiver ALLOWED on the market. only for Federal Sales to Government Workers.
SDS100 at its core is NOT a SDR, its a Triple Superhetrodyne Receiver with a custom SDR chipset that has Cellular Frequencies locked out Permamently. just like the ICOM and AOR Radios.

S

simpilo

simpilo - you do realize that Scanners and Receivers in America cannot receive Cellular transmissions, If Uniden/Whistler would use an open SDR then the Scanner/Receiver would again receive Cellular , which means NO FCC certification. and NO Scanner or Receiver ALLOWED on the market. only for Federal Sales to Government Workers.
SDS100 at its core is NOT a SDR, its a Triple Superhetrodyne Receiver with a custom SDR chipset that has Cellular Frequencies locked out Permamently. just like the ICOM and AOR Radios.

They can block cellular frequencies in a SDR dongle no problem. With any idea comes backlash but this kind of backlash isn't doing itself any favors because I have full faith a Uniden SDR will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.