Missing What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willne1

Am I the only one not hearing what happens on a PD call? As an example, yesterday I'm listening to my BCD436 and a call comes in to the local PD about a kid who is locked inside of a hot car. I hear two squads respond in a bit that they are on the scene and that's it. No more broadcast about it at all. It seems like this kind of thing happens all the time, fires, traffic etc. The PD gets there and that's it. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Based on my experience from a few ride-alongs with an LEO friend of mine... often times (or most times) they'll continue with the details of the call via messaging on their Mobile Data Terminals. If that's the case, the only thing you'll hear after they arrive on scene is them going 10-8 after clearing the scene.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
From a 30+ year LEO (now retired), it possible that there isn't any radio traffic. If they're all on the scene, they may also be actually talking to each other face-to-face,

mule1075

Feed Provider
Am I the only one not hearing what happens on a PD call? As an example, yesterday I'm listening to my BCD436 and a call comes in to the local PD about a kid who is locked inside of a hot car. I hear two squads respond in a bit that they are on the scene and that's it. No more broadcast about it at all. It seems like this kind of thing happens all the time, fires, traffic etc. The PD gets there and that's it. Does anyone else have this happen to them?
Just in case you have not already check to see if you have all the service types enabled you want to listen to. They might switch to a tac channel or channels when on scene.

willne1

Yes mule I have all services checked, thanks. KK4JUG, wouldn't they be relaying what happens to dispatch?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Yes mule I have all services checked, thanks. KK4JUG, wouldn't they be relaying what happens to dispatch?

I know when we clear a call, it is most commonly by MDT. With the CAD system evolvement over the past 30 years, a lot of routine traffic has been eliminated. With call volumes rising it makes sense to keep as much off the air as possible to allow for higher priority traffic.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Possibly not if they had a supervisor already on-seen AND/OR if they didn't need dispatchers to actually do anything. If the child was removed immediately and didn't need medical attention they might not talk about it on the air. A "slim jim" still works on a lot of older cars so you can be in in less than 5 seconds. And, if it was accidental, it's not likely anyone was taken into custody so there would not be any traffic on that either.

Having said all that, it IS unusual for there not to be any traffic whatsoever but I guess it is possible.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Caught a good one today. Local cops get a call from a homeowner with RING camera. She sees an intruder on the steps trying to cover the lens. Police get dispatched code 3 and they see a car driving away. Find a door open. A lot of chatter, the chopper, IR camera, K9, teletype. Might have been older son of HO. I got the sense he was not welcome in the house but had a key.

A few weeks back there was a traffic stop for an individual who had phony SSN, phony license, phony name, etc, . It went back and forth and a portable fingerprint machine was sent to the scene. Ok don't know how it ended.

Usually it is just a dispatch for some disturbance and it is just paperwork from that point on. Had one a few days ago, neighbor on street behind, who is a cop, had a whole bunch of police cars arrive at the home. Not a peep on the radio. Maybe they were all watching a game? Maybe the 16yo daughter ran off with a boyfriend? I think the latter.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Even without encryption, cell phones and MDTs are leaving huge gaps in what we know about what's going on.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
This is not unusual from my experience. You'll hear a call go out to a unit. You'll hear the unit notifying dispatch of their arrival. Then nothing else at least until the unit goes back in service. Perhaps, as some suggested, there's just no other need to communicate with dispatch on some calls.

willne1

This is not unusual from my experience. You'll hear a call go out to a unit. You'll hear the unit notifying dispatch of their arrival. Then nothing else at least until the unit goes back in service. Perhaps, as some suggested, there's just no other need to communicate with dispatch on some calls.

That's exactly my little bit of experience. I don't think I've ever heard what happened in the end.

N8IAA

That's exactly my little bit of experience. I don't think I've ever heard what happened in the end.

Do you hold it on the TG/frequency? Or, do you just continue to scan? Amazing how much traffic you miss if you don't hold the TG/frequency. Comes from a lot of experience.

Larry

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The only consolation is that, because of the lack of additional traffic, it probably will not have been a serious incident.

willne1

Do you hold it on the TG/frequency? Or, do you just continue to scan? Amazing how much traffic you miss if you don't hold the TG/frequency. Comes from a lot of experience.

Larry

That's a good point but I don't think it applies to me as I'm only scanning three FL channels that don't have very many frequencies programmed into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.