Whistler 1040 manual programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogercom

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH FREQ ARE CONVENTIONAL OR P25. I ASSUME THE CONVENTIONAL FREQ HAVE THE FREQ AND ID SAYS FM OR FM DEPRECIATED. TRYING TO PROGRAM SCANNER MANUALLY FROM RADIO FREQ .COM LISTS. Also do you want the attenuation selection on or off for conventional freq,s.?? OR AT ALL FOR ANY P25.

Thanks for any help with this

lou9155

i would turn off your caps lock first..no yelling...and then i would use the info in the radio reference freq. data base as you enter your info. can you use software to program?..if so all the parameters are done by the software. i use arc500 and am very happy with it

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Roger, without knowing where you are (county/state is fine) it's rather hard to give specific help, but let's start with the database we have here on this site. Go up to the top, then look directly under the site title on the left for 'DATABASES' in a blue toolbar. Float your mouse over this, select 'FREQUENCY DATABASE', then use the various maps and pulldowns to select your home region. This database is built from people's reporting, NOT from FCC listings

Now as for manually programming your 1040 - as shown on the article below (links are always blue), your 1040 is really a rebadged GRE PSR-500, so anything written for that scanner will apply to the 1040.

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There is a programming shortcut article for the PSR-500, but before you read that, you might want to spend a little time with the Easier to Read manual, the link for which is at the very bottom. In fact, I would spend some time reading the above article and following the various links (including reading the Easier to Read manual) before you begin attempting to program your radio. How you program these new radios and understanding why you do it is as important as having the right frequency information

Mike

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Firstly, welcome to the RadioReference forums!

Your Whistler 1040 is identical to my RadioShack PRO-651. I, along with many on this forum, prefer the use of software to program these scanners. I've used PSREdit500 and WIN500 for mine. The difference between manually programming and computer programming, is the difference between making your dinner from scratch and popping a frozen dinner in the microwave. Software, together with a RR.com membership, allows you to program your 1040 correctly without worrying about the various settings.

As for attenuation, you should not use this feature unless you absolutely need to do so. For analog frequencies, attenuation may be needed if your scanner is suffering from overloading due to strong signals. But that generally will only happen if you're using an outside antenna or some type of signal amplification. For P25, attenuation may be necessary when listening to some Simulcast systems. In that case, reducing the incoming signal from multiple towers to just the strongest signal from the nearest tower allows the scanner to decode better.

Status
Not open for further replies.