Suggest a Scanner that fits this criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
The vehicle that I work out of (Appliance Repair) is a 2000 Subaru Outback. The car has a 6 CD changer that has never worked, it fits in a standard single DIN space.

The scanner that I normally use in this car is a Radio Shack Pro-2026 that sits either in the passenger seat or on the floor. I was noticing the other day that it would probably fit quite nicely where this non-working CD changer is, and I could cut an opening in the storage container below it for the sound from the speaker. However I like to have this particular scanner available for use in other locations as it has a discriminator tap, so I don't want to permanently mount it in the car, I'd like to buy another scanner. So I wanted some suggestions on perhaps a model that would better suit my use.

Must fit in a single DIN space which is 6.83" x 2" and can run on 12v DC input.

My main area of interest is the Railroad Band (I'm a Railfan), so if there is a model out there with better sensitivity/selectivity in the 160MHz range that would be a plus, but I do scan other bands from time to time.

Decent scanner speed is nice but I usually don't scan a lot of channels at one time so super fast scanning speed isn't needed.

If there is a model out there that has an audio output jack on the front that would be a nice plus, sometimes I like to run the audio through the car speakers, if it is on the rear that won't be very accessible, but that isn't a requirement.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, I'll likely be buying used, $100 or less would be ideal unless there is something out there that is significantly better and worth the extra money.

Or should I just look for any old scanner that will fit in this space?

Thanks!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Find an older Uniden 996t, 996XT, or used 15/15x. They all fit in single din openings, and with a bit of internet archaeology you can find the DIN sleeve if you're lucky.

I have the 996p2 (Out of your given price range) and 15x.. Both work well for Rail..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind for your budget, once mounted in a DIN space, you'll need an external antenna..

bgav

Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP is also single DIN-E size.

And OP could also do the NXDN upgrade if it's currently in use or used in the future in his area..

A used or refurbished BCT15X from the factory store would be the best economical choice IMHO if NXDN is not a current or future consideration.

N8IAA

BCD536HP is also single DIN-E size.

Paul, that scanner doesn't meet his $100 budget, does it?

OP, look for Pro-163. They sell for $100 or less. Lots of options out there for an inexpensive rail fan radio. Don't understand the push to sell overpriced scanners.

Even a ham 2m radio will work for what you want.

Larry

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Some of these might be over the $100 threshold, but I'd look at eBay just in case:

Radio Shack:
Pro-652
Pro-197
Pro-160
Pro-163
Pro-433
Pro-2055
Pro-2096
Pro-2054

Uniden
BCD996P2
BCD536HP
BCD996XT
BCD996T
BCT15X
BCT15

GRE/Whistler
PSR400
PSR410
PSR600
WS1065

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Thanks, and yes many of the mentioned models are more than I'd like to spend. $100 isn't my hard limit, but would spending more than that increase my reception quality enough to justify the cost?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yea I always have a mag mount antenna on the roof, I'm thinking of installing a permanent antenna on the roof at some point, not sure on that though.

If you do go with the permanent side check out the Larsen brand of mobile antennas and parts. They are built quite tough.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Don’t forget the bc780xlt

While it could possibly still work, the 780XLT is not really a true DIN size.
It's width is a bit shorter which is good but the height is a tad taller than DIN size. Not by much, maybe an 1/8 inch but that may be enough for a DIN install. I don't recall how close to tolerance DIN units must be to fit.

I remembered a thread about someone trying to mount their 780 into a DIN opening and it would not fit. Probably only because of the height but if not, maybe they were not handy and could not figure out a way to close up the small openings from the smaller width.

The 780 measures at 2.25 for height and most din specs I see say 2.125 or 2-1/8th inches max so the extra 1.8th of an inch taller may not fit.
I just know something prevented the user from mounting his 780 into a DIN opening but that was a long time ago so I may not remember what the problem was exactly. I just remember someone having issues with the 780 and it was determined the 780 did not really meet DIN specs.
I'd measure some DIN sleeve's I have if I could find one of them.

K4EET

Chaplain
Thanks, and yes many of the mentioned models are more than I'd like to spend. $100 isn't my hard limit, but would spending more than that increase my reception quality enough to justify the cost?

I didn't look to see if any receiver sensitivity specifications could be readily found for the scanners mentioned thus far. But even then, I would venture to say for monitoring rail comms in the VHF range, that any receiver specification difference would not be discernible by the human ear in a mobile environment. Perhaps in a fixed environment, if you were on the extreme edge of coverage, you might hear a smidgen less noise from the speaker.

Cheers! Dave

Ubbe

Sensitivity figures measured in a lab can be the same for a $100 scanner as for a $1000 scanner.

What matters, especially in a mobile enviroment, are how well the reciever can cope with signals that are not generated from the transmitter you are trying to listen to. Adjacent channel and in band interference rejection and strong signal handling are what matters the most in a scanners specification, if you do not listen far away from any other transmitters like FM broadcast, television and cellular systems.

Of the scanners mentioned here the BC780 are the only one with a tracking filter that follows the signals frequency in the 108-175MHz band to only pass a small frequency range to the rest of the receiver while some of the others at best have one 108-137MHz filter and one 138-175MHz that expose the receiver to that filters whole frequency range of RF signals. All commercial 2-way radios use tracking filters, and the best and most expensive ones have very narrow filters, and are used by military and public service emergency forces that do not accept to have their communication failing due to inferior equipment.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.