scanner holder for when home base monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucialcolin

thought I would throw this out there because maybe someone here will have a brilliant idea for a holder solution.

Anyways I have two portable/handheld scanners, both Uniden that I place on night stand(pict attached), problem is they are very prone to falling over backwards especially when hooked up to my base antenna.

There has to be some kind of a simple inexpensive stand or something i can easily make that doesn't block the speakers but still keeps the scanners upright. I feel like I'm missing something here LOL

btw angle BNC adapters yay or nay? I'm using them because I have heard it helps prevent strain on the scanners internal connection.

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_011625.jpg
    IMG_20181105_011625.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 634

NC1

I see you already have a cell phone holder, so I'm guessing that it does not work out as expected for some reason.

There might be a Tablet desktop holder on ebay that would fit both scanners. I was thinking of getting something like that for myself since I have a few handheld radios that need a base of some kind. Check the dollar stores and look up and down the aisle, possibly the toy or bake-ware section. I'll settle for something cheap that I can bend or modify.

I just saw this for under $2 with free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...197621?hash=item3639eefcf5:g:xFYAAOSwMPxbfRiQ

safetyobc

I recently got this one. I have the makers contact info if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,508
  • IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,484

NYRHKY94

I have been using this bookend from Staples for years without any issues. Plenty sturdy and you can easily adjust the angle. Cost for a pair is around $9.00. Just a thought....

Attachments

• Staples Bookend Holder Pic 2.JPG
    Staples Bookend Holder Pic 2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 507
  • Staples Bookend Holder Pic 1.JPG
    Staples Bookend Holder Pic 1.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 502

N8IAA

thought I would throw this out there because maybe someone here will have a brilliant idea for a holder solution.

Anyways I have two portable/handheld scanners, both Uniden that I place on night stand(pict attached), problem is they are very prone to falling over backwards especially when hooked up to my base antenna.

There has to be some kind of a simple inexpensive stand or something i can easily make that doesn't block the speakers but still keeps the scanners upright. I feel like I'm missing something here LOL

btw angle BNC adapters yay or nay? I'm using them because I have heard it helps prevent strain on the scanners internal connection.

Being that your scanners are half the size and weight of the larger scanners, and have belt clips that are different than the scanners shown. I suggest going to Home Depot, Lowes and find some scrap wood for the base/bases and two L brackets to slid the scanners onto. You could paint or stain the bases whatever color you choose, then attach the L brackets.

Won't tip over and looks nice too.:) Have two for small scanners, and work quite well.

HTH,
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I use foam cup holders. I'll put something heavy and short in the bottom of the holder. I keep tension from power cable and coax so the scanner can just sit.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Metal Bookends

I use the metal bookends as well. I give them a slight bend to optimize viewing. Mine are a little wider so that I can fit two scanners on each one. I also double checked the height, as some are wide yet too short. That is my solution for amateur handheld transceivers as well.

crucialcolin

thanks for the posts. Its neat seeing what others are doing.

I bought this box thing from target for $8 that seemed about perfect with its pockets. Foiled though by how far the USB power cable sticks out the side of my bcd325p2 when I got home as it wont fit while connected. Doh! Will probably try the bookends instead.

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_003704.jpg
    IMG_20181120_003704.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 279

krokus

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the posts. Its neat seeing what others are doing.

I bought this box thing from target for $8 that seemed about perfect with its pockets. Foiled though by how far the USB power cable sticks out the side of my bcd325p2 when I got home as it wont fit while connected. Doh! Will probably try the bookends instead.
Turn the basket around, and use the belt clip to hold the radios to the basket.

Sent using Tapatalk

CrabbyMilton

Great ideas but why not just save time and lay it on it's side?
My old 250D would never fall down even with the carrying case but my 436HP does not but this seems to work for me.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I splurged and bought the Spectrum Force scanner stands from Scanner Master a while back, a single one for the SDS and a double one for the TRX-1 and the BC125AT. I like them but using the holes for the usb cords is kind of a strain on the plug, and they look ok I guess, but now that I have seen these wood ones *ack* I really like those and I could theme them with my radio desk which I made myself from pine 2X8s with gold metal corner protectors. Ya got me thinkin here lol

JD
kf4anc

RDGDigital

I splurged and bought the Spectrum Force scanner stands from Scanner Master a while back, a single one for the SDS and a double one for the TRX-1 and the BC125AT. I like them but using the holes for the usb cords is kind of a strain on the plug, and they look ok I guess, but now that I have seen these wood ones *ack* I really like those and I could theme them with my radio desk which I made myself from pine 2X8s with gold metal corner protectors. Ya got me thinkin here lol

JD
kf4anc

I also use the Spectrum Force Desk Mounts. I also brought some right-angle USB cables similar to the one at the link below. These help a lot to relieve the strain on the cables. I've been very happy with this setup, although it's definitely not 'inexpensive'.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSVHXQU/

RDGDigital

Are these compatible as program/charging interface cables for either Whistler or Uniden radios?

I don't have any Uniden radios, so I won't speak for that. However, these are standard USB Type A to USB mini cables which supply both power and data capabilities. These are the only cables I use for my TRX-1, WS1080 & PSR-800 and I've never had an issue with them.

If you search Amazon, you can also find these with different orientations. For example, on top of the one I linked to, I also have some that are right-angle to the left (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AR4NC8/) and some to the right (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W8EIMW/). I use the right-angle to the left ones in my vehicle since it's a better fit for my purposes.

Hope this helps.

Mikejo

Here is my Quick and dirty stand, but I like the Book-End idea!

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.