Motorola Trbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
Im in the Market for a scanner that will do Motorola Trbo,,Is it as easy as just putting in the frequency much like standard P-25?..If so, Which would you recommend?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Im in the Market for a scanner that will do Motorola Trbo,,Is it as easy as just putting in the frequency much like standard P-25?..If so, Which would you recommend?

I would recommend the Uniden. 436HP/536HP or 325P2/996/P2. As already noted, Uniden's scanners will actually trunk track, and on larger systems this is almost a must have. Whistler's scanners will do OK on smaller systems and single frequency systems.

Another difference:

Uniden DMR/MotoTrbo = Paid upgrade
Whistler DMR/MotoTrbo = Free

However, you do get what you pay for. Free = no trunk tracking. Paid = trunk tracking

Ubbe

Is it as easy as just putting in the frequency much like standard P-25?

Both Uniden and Whistlers scanners that do DMR uses the RR database and you only enter your area zip code to start scanning if you live in US. If the system isn't in the database then the Whistler are the easiest to use. You only program the frequencies for each site and program a wildcard TG and start scanning.

If you choose a Uniden DMR scanner you have to buy the license for it and if you want to listen to trunked systems you'll need to know the exact logical channel numbers of each frequency or it will fail to follow the conversations. There's an analyze tool in the scanner to eventually find those channel numbers for you.
The x36 family of Uniden scanners are superior in quality, sensitivity, system logic, attention to details and user freindlyness compared to Whistler but are also more expensive.

/Ubbe

slicerwizard

Oh my dog, I remember that thread - "It's not a fair comparison! The scanner has to go back to the control channel!"

Yeah right, no control channel on Cap+ bud, Rest channel and voice traffic channel are on the same damn RF carrier, but the scanner is still blind...

K2RNI

Whistler TRX-1 all the way. Uniden is trash now and this site just shills it for that sweet ad money.

CanesFan95

My belief is, there aren't any current scanners that reliably do DMR. Whistlers use a method that is not proper trunktracking, and Unidens purport (try) to do proper trunktracking, but then they don't actually work and you miss transmissions. And I think the Unidens have a poor-sounding muffled/muted digital audio quality that sounds like there's too much bass and not enough treble.

So when it comes to DMR, we basically have no good options between the 2 brands. Next best thing is DSD+, but even that has unstable audio that drops out for breif moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.