What software will turn a pc into a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiolistener

I was watching a program on tlc about area 51 fact or fiction and communication experts where using a labtop computer and the screen looked like a ditigal scanner.It scanned all freq.'s and when it hit on one it displayed the mhz and pl for it...Anyone know what software will do this..I'd love to do this on my labtop..How much and what type of antenna will work...Thanks

benjaminarthurt

Premium Subscriber
that would require more than just software. Computers by nature have no hardware to recieve rf signals. (just create them "QRM") There are scanners out their designed to connect directly to a computer ie www.winradio.com. I have never tried it but have heard good things. My Uniden BR300t came with the serial cable and you cand free software to do the same. Real scanner outside the computer makes programming the scanner nice too.

see this post http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53558 someone is selling a 330 like mine. Great stand alone scanner. And using it with the computer is even better.

Last edited:

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Yes, you would have to have a radio connected to the computer. There are many radios now that you can connect to your computer and control them. I've used my PCR1000 for years as desribed.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
This TV show about Area 51 is actually showing Bob Grove using a WinRadio connected to a laptop.
I have seen the program a couple of time and he wrote about the experiance one time in Monitoring times.
That being said, there are a lot of radios that can be computer controlled...

flyingwolf

Old School
One caveat for the OP.

Its laPtop not laBtop.

I don't knwo how many people I see make that mistake, and god only knows how they make that mistake, maybe its a good thing they are now being called "notebooks" and not laptops.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
flyingwolf said:
I don't knwo how many people I see make that mistake, and god only knows how they make that mistake, maybe its a good thing they are now being called "notebooks" and not laptops.

If they're running Windows they're called Bloatbooks! :p

flyingwolf

Old School
Now thats the first time I have ever heard the word bloatbooks lol.

Thats a good one.

Oh and OP, dont be too thin skinned, as you said yourself, if they dont have anything to add why do they post, they should just ignore it, take that advice, its very good advice, since thier post is useless, ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.